mtbr member
    Dec 2004

El Guapo Question

There's a $897 deal on backcountry for an EL G frame. Comes with Pearl 3.1 shock and the specs on BC.com say it has 1.125" headtube. Anyone know if this is true? I thought the El G uses a 1.5" headtube. The deal seems too good to be true even with the crummy Pearl.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi
    There's a $897 deal on backcountry for an EL G frame. Comes with Pearl 3.1 shock and the specs on BC.com say it has 1.125" headtube. Anyone know if this is true? I thought the El G uses a 1.5" headtube. The deal seems too good to be true even with the crummy Pearl.
    2007-08 El Guapo's have 1.125" headtubes.
    2009 have 1.5.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me too.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the info. If this really is a 1.125" headtube the deal looks even better (I can swap my old fork onto this frame). Any reason not to go for this deal?

Trophy Husband
    Thanks for the info. If this really is a 1.125" headtube the deal looks even better (I can swap my old fork onto this frame). Any reason not to go for this deal?
    Fit might be an issue...but that is an issue when buying any bike without first riding it.

The Pearl is lame...but you know that. You could buy another shock and keep the Pearl around for a back up or sell it cheap or trade it for a six pack of American IPA .

I've never ridden the Guapo but people that have seem to be pleased with its performance.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Chris Bling

i am riding that exact same bike, and even got mine off back country. The pearl takes a few weeks of riding to get broke in, but i am actually really enjoying the shock! Took it down a really fun rock wash the other day, and was super pleased with how will it responded to several miles of non stop rocks!

The ride of the bike is great. Nimble enough to climb and corner like a champ, but beefy enough to take abuse day after day. I would jump on that deal!

it is a 1.125 head tube, just super burly! You will see when you get the frame, its nice!

btw i am running my shock at 30% sag, at least, and it pedals super awesome. no complaints
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

El Guapo with Fox Rp23

The 2008 was spec'd with Fox RP23. I suppose Backcountry got some with the Pearl for this special.
    I bet if you called around some actual Titus dealers you could find an 08 El Guapo with RP23 on sale.

Pearl always squeaked when I rode them. Like having a rat in your pocket.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    The 2008 was spec'd with Fox RP23. I suppose Backcountry got some with the Pearl for this special.
    I bet if you called around some actual Titus dealers you could find an 08 El Guapo with RP23 on sale.

Pearl always squeaked when I rode them. Like having a rat in your pocket.

strangely enough, mine no longer makes any squeaking noises. sounds as though it finally broke it
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Try contacting Titus direct. Maybe this was by chance but I called titus with a question about an older frame and the rep (i think his name was Mark) offered me an exceptional deal on the 08 EG with the RP23. I wasn't even in the market for a new frame but I couldn't pass the opportunity. BTW build photos slowly-but-surely coming soon.

For a good shot of the oversized 1-1/8 headtube check out Dustyduke22's thread:

A very pretty Man
    Nature has always had more force than education. - Voltaire