mtbr member
    Jul 2007

El Guapo owners, can you help me out? Nomad > El G

Should I move from a Nomad to an El Guapo?

I've been mulling over a bike change for a few months. I've got a MotoLite and a gen 1.5 Nomad. I had considered ditching both bikes and getting the 5 Spot fitted with an air fork and trying to get a lightweight build at around 28/29 lb. I have not made up my mind though.

I have run the ML with a 120/130/140mm fork to try and slacken out the front end. I like the 140mm on it but the BB gets pretty high. I'll probably bring it back down to 120mm or 130mm and possibly add an angle adjust headset. The last few rides I had on the ML seemed to have changed my mind about getting rid of it. I keep liking that bike.

On the other hand I have the Nomad for bigger days. Overall I like the geometry of the Nomad, a little short in the top tube but not that bad. What I initially fell in love with about this bike was its ability to simply plow through whatever I wanted. I'm running a pushed Float R and a coil Lyrik on it. This is my first AM bike and the ability to hold a line when the trail gets really choppy is great. However, I'm not a big-hit rider and don't take drops more than a few feet high - I guess I'm getting older now. The main thing about the Nomad that I am trying to move away from is its tendency to feel sluggish on singletrack - not pedaling characteristics but more sluggish in its handling. It is more bike than I need, for sure, but I think it is more than just the amount of travel. I do like to be able to take any line I want when the mood hits me. But, the more I switch back and forth between the ML and the Nomad the more cumbersome the Nomad feels. I get it, the Nomad is designed to ride this way but that is what I'm looking to make a change from.

So to get to the point, I was going to move to the 5 Spot but the El Guapo has had me thinking. I've heard that it is much more nimble and flickable than other AM frames. If I get one i would fit it with a Revelation 150mm and mid-level parts to keep the weight to a minimum. Is this type of trail-build going to give me that slack trail bike feel while being more nimble and playful on the trail than the Nomad or will I end up in the same situation? Should l look for a bike that is a step down, more of a trail bike, than the EG?

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by mnigro; 06-05-2012 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Should I move from a Nomad to an El Guapo?

I've been mulling over a bike change for a few months. I've got a MotoLite and a gen 1.5 Nomad. I had considered ditching both bikes and getting the 5 Spot fitted with an air fork and trying to get a lightweight build at around 28/29 lb. I have not made up my mind though.

I have run the ML with a 120/130/140mm fork to try and slacken out the front end. I like the 140mm on it but the BB gets pretty high. I'll probably bring it back down to 120mm or 130mm and possibly add an angle adjust headset. The last few rides I had on the ML seemed to have changed my mind about getting rid of it. I keep liking that bike.

On the other hand I have the Nomad for bigger days. Overall I like the geometry of the Nomad, a little short in the top tube but not that bad. What I initially fell in love with about this bike was its ability to simply plow through whatever I wanted. I'm running a pushed Float R and a coil Lyrik on it. This is my first AM bike and the ability to hold a line when the trail gets really choppy is great. However, I'm not a big-hit rider and don't take drops more than a few feet high - I guess I'm getting older now. The main thing about the Nomad that I am trying to move away from is its tendency to feel sluggish on singletrack - not pedaling characteristics but more sluggish in its handling. It is more bike than I need, for sure, but I think it is more than just the amount of travel. I do like to be able to take any line I want when the mood hits me. But, the more I switch back and forth between the ML and the Nomad the more cumbersome the Nomad feels. I get it, the Nomad is designed to ride this way but that is what I'm looking to make a change from.

So to get to the point, I was going to move to the 5 Spot but the El Guapo has had me thinking. I've heard that it is much more nimble and flickable than other AM frames. If I get one i would fit it with a Revelation 150mm and mid-level parts to keep the weight to a minimum. Is this type of trail-build going to give me that slack trail bike feel while being more nimble and playful on the trail than the Nomad or will I end up in the same situation? Should l look for a bike that is a step down, more of a trail bike, than the EG?

Thanks for any advice.
    I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either choice. I went from a Motolite to a 5-spot. The 5-spot is a great bike, very balanced and similar to the Motolite.

As much as I love my spot, the price at which they sell the EG for, is hard to beat. Both bikes are close to the same weight as well. I also think most of your parts would move directly from the Nomad to the EG as well.

Look for Chris0972 (or something like that!) as well. I think he went from a Nomad to a EG.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks Vespa! I'll try to look him up.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Like you said the Nomad was more of a plow bike (I had the v2). The EG with a 1 degree angle set almost equaled it in the plow department. The EG was definitely more playful, lively and easier to manuever. They were about equal in the climbing department. The EG had a plusher feeling in the descending department. After riding them back to back for a year. The Nomad went to someone in Spain and the EG became my main ride for a little while.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the response Chris. Great info.

Just to take it one step further, if I ran the EG with a 1 deg angleset and a 150m Revelation (~15mm shorter a2c than Lyrik) to make it more of a trail bike, will there be a significant difference between how it behaves vs the Nomad in terms of handling? I'm on the fence and what I am looking for is a long leg trail bike that can take the occasional big hit - basically my MotoLite on roids. Any thoughts about this other than a low BB being a possible issue?

thanks for the help, Chris.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I'm on the fence and what I am looking for is a long leg trail bike that can take the occasional big hit - basically my MotoLite on roids. Any thoughts about this other than a low BB being a possible issue?
    that's exactly what a friend of mine had in mind when he went from his Motolite to the EG. he's happy as can be. put a 44 RC3 ti on it that has a 520 A-C, but we put a 7mm crown race on & a 2.25" tall rear tire to end up w/ a 13 3/8" BB height. w/ the Monarch & suspension design, the pedal strikes are surprisingly rare.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    nhodge, thanks for the post. I'm running large volume tires and the fork will have an a2c of 535 so the low BB shouldn't be an issue. I might not even need the angleset??? I think I'm going to commit and get the EG.

mtbr member
    Mnigro...if you are buying it from Titus in Portland, pm me. I can make your experience a little more enjoyable.