mtbr member
    Jan 2007

El Guapo Headset and Fork

I am about to pull the trigger on a new El Guapo. I noticed it has the 1.5" head tube, and I was thinking of going with a standard 1.5" King headset and an 1.5" Fox Float 36 RC2. I saw in the geometry specs Titus states they were all taken with a flush-type headset. There is about an 11.5mm lower stack height difference here. Will that make a difference or is it too small to notice? I could go with the Cane Creek reduced flush-type headset and the 1 1/8" fork. I was only going with the 1.5" due to the slightly lower weight and extra strength. I didn't really see much of a downside. This is by far the nicest bike I have ever put together, so I'm guessing whatever I'll do, I'll love it. I just don't want to screw anything up and have to re-do it in a year.

Any and all opinions welcome, especially if there is someone from Titus lurking here somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I'm using the 09 XXc II flush headset from CC and a 36TALAS, which is spec out just like what Titus puts out. Total stack of the headset is 10.5mm.

Allows lifting up over foot high rocks sometimes encountered on climbs. If I have another cm or so, would probably not be able to clear a few of those. Think it does help to keep the front tracking just a little better too. There is always the option of dropping a couple spacers below the stem if you want things higher but not the other way around.

You can see the latest setup under my profile.

Did a review for the headset...http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.co...h-headset.html

Some others here prefer a higher front end. Guess it depends on the fit. I'm pushing it a bit with a Med frame at 5'9 with a shortish inseam and hence prefer to have the front end as low as possible.
    Last edited by anvil_den; 06-26-2009 at 12:08 PM.

RHRF!

King Me!

I got the regular King Devolution 1.5 with a 1 1/8 steerer fork for my Ti EG. If I ever replace the fork, I'd probably get a tapered 1.5 to 1 1/8 steerer. Plus, King headsets can last a lifetime, if just shown a little TLC...

PS - my current reasoning behind the tapered steerer is the greater choices in stems at 1 1/8. But I suspect that more 1.5 stem choices will eventually become available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)