Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    919

    El Guapo or FTM Carbon?

    Hi Titus fans
    I'm looking to get a new frame and really like what I'm reading about the EG and FTM. Question is: which one to go for?
    Most of my riding is cross county on big hills. I went from a Giant Reign to an On One 456 Carbon but I'm not loving the hardtail. I loved the 6" travel on the Reign but it was a bit on the heavy/overkill side of things for the riding I do. The old frame weighed in around 8lb with RP3 shock.
    I'm looking for something that will do the ups and downs...
    I found the Med 456 a little small too, what sizes are you guys using? I'm 6', 14stone kitted up
    I'm currently running Magura Wotans (160mm travel) which would suit the EG but I've been offered a DT Swiss EXC150 which, I think, would be OK on the FTM?
    I've got 2 x 10 XT, carbon bars etc so could build the EG up pretty light. What sort of weights have you got?
    Finally, is the CCDB worth the extra 200 over the RSn Monarch?
    Sorry for all the questions...
    Steve

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    Hi Titus fans
    I'm looking to get a new frame and really like what I'm reading about the EG and FTM. Question is: which one to go for?
    Most of my riding is cross county on big hills. I went from a Giant Reign to an On One 456 Carbon but I'm not loving the hardtail. I loved the 6" travel on the Reign but it was a bit on the heavy/overkill side of things for the riding I do. The old frame weighed in around 8lb with RP3 shock.
    I'm looking for something that will do the ups and downs...
    I found the Med 456 a little small too, what sizes are you guys using? I'm 6', 14stone kitted up
    I'm currently running Magura Wotans (160mm travel) which would suit the EG but I've been offered a DT Swiss EXC150 which, I think, would be OK on the FTM?
    I've got 2 x 10 XT, carbon bars etc so could build the EG up pretty light. What sort of weights have you got?
    Finally, is the CCDB worth the extra 200 over the RSn Monarch?
    Sorry for all the questions...
    Steve
    EG. If I say anything more people will yell at me. EG all the way. There are some nice 28lb builds if you look closely.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,334
    Large EG w/ the Wotan. I would just get the Monarch, I hear of a lot of tuning issues on other similar frames, the CCDB is very hard to get tuned correctly. A sub 30 lb large EG is not hard to build. Your frame will be right at 7lbs with a monarch and is much more efficient then a reign.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: anvil_den's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    Hi Titus fans
    ... I loved the 6" travel on the Reign but it was a bit on the heavy/overkill side of things for the riding I do. The old frame weighed in around 8lb with RP3 shock.

    Steve
    The reign was retired? I find it pretty decent for a 6" bike.

    If you are looking at something to replace that feel you have for a 6" but want it more nimble --then its the EG.

    you mentioned "big hills"... FTM might just be a tad frail imo.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    The reign was retired? I find it pretty decent for a 6" bike.

    If you are looking at something to replace that feel you have for a 6" but want it more nimble --then its the EG.

    you mentioned "big hills"... FTM might just be a tad frail imo.
    The FTM is frail?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    27
    does the TS actually meant going up "big hill" as opposed to hacking down.... If the former, then FTM more suitable as a weapon of choice, no...... But personally, I like to be a little over-travelled rather than under...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,334
    I think at 14 stone (196 lbs) the EG would be a better choice, you are only looking at a slight weight increase in the EG frame over the FTM, the EG has much better geo for an AM bike then the FTM. It sounds like you enjoy going down more then going up, so the EG is your bike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    919
    Thanks for the replies guys, looks like the EG is going to be the one to go for
    The one thing I'd be looking to do is build it up fairly light...I'm running 2x10 XT, Hope M4's, Easton Carbon bars etc...would DT EXC150's make a big difference on ride over the Wotans I currently run? My Wotans are 160's, the DT's are 150's but a lot lighter. They both have 20mm axle's.
    Really appreciate all the replies. Only problem is On One don't have any Orange ones in a Large....

    Steve

    Oh, here's a pic of the 'big hills'...not that big but great fun!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Guapo or FTM Carbon?-hills_1_safe.jpg  


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,334
    Get another color, raw would be the lightest frame. The paint actually weights .20 lbs.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397
    The EG is a great bike! However, I actually hate being over-biked for the place I am riding - takes all the challenge away. If anything, I'd rather be under-biked because at least you have to work for it. But hey, that's me. My FTM Carbon is just waiting for the headset to arrive.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Guapo or FTM Carbon?-photo-1-.jpg  


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Get another color, raw would be the lightest frame. The paint actually weights .20 lbs.
    No raw's for about 6 weeks :-(

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    The EG is a great bike! However, I actually hate being over-biked for the place I am riding - takes all the challenge away. If anything, I'd rather be under-biked because at least you have to work for it. But hey, that's me. My FTM Carbon is just waiting for the headset to arrive.....
    Sounds like my kind of riding too. Bike looks great Just wondering what size yours is compared to your height..

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397
    Thanks. Maiden ride will be today - woo hoo!
    It's a large frame and I'm 6ft exactly. With a 50mm stem it fits me perfectly (although I'd prefer an inch less in the seat tube but it's fine.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Thanks. Maiden ride will be today - woo hoo!
    It's a large frame and I'm 6ft exactly. With a 50mm stem it fits me perfectly (although I'd prefer an inch less in the seat tube but it's fine.
    Be great to hear how you get on with it...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47
    I felt the EG was too much bike. I do ride all sorts of stuff out here in Colorado - the FTM Carbon does just fine but I'm 135lbs maybe 145 with my camelbak packpack. I preferred the carbon to reduce vibrations which was transmitting to my wrists making rides more painful.

    I pretty much ride everything. Even some of those crazy looking rock gardens. I haven't had the chance to hit really serious jumps 4-8ft or more. Your mileage may vary - I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. I just felt the extra beefiness wasn't necessary for my weight. I haven't broken the bike yet - a lot of chips out of the carbon from rock impacts tho - mostly the rear stay.

    I do love the balance of the bike - I have a 150mm Rock Shox fork and it hits those jumps so nicely without any dive. It just launches almost perfectly level into the air - loving it. My old bike with Marrazochi forks would dive almost immediately - required more effort.

    -dx

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    Be great to hear how you get on with it...
    Really enjoyed my first ride. Amazed at how plush it is (plusher than my Tracer). Geometry concerned me as it is steep on paper but a non issue in reality. This will be my go to bike for all but the gnarliest of trails / races. Based on what you've said I think this is a better choice for you than the EG but to be honest - they're not THAT different with same build kit. My mates EG has a head angle of 68 with a revelation, I've measured my FTM at the same. His EG is 13.5kgs, my FTM is 13kgs (could drop 600gms easily though).

    Re strength of the FTM - I haven't found a single post on any forum about breaking one (besides the chain stay snapping on the first release which theyve sorted).

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    23
    Why not build an EG with trail spec. Put a 150mm fork, lighter wheelset and parts. Sub 28 lbs will be easy. EG weight now at 12.2Kg=26.8lbs


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Thanks. Maiden ride will be today - woo hoo!
    It's a large frame and I'm 6ft exactly. With a 50mm stem it fits me perfectly (although I'd prefer an inch less in the seat tube but it's fine.
    I have to agree with this. This is an occasional issue where even with my drop post (100mm Reverb)it sometimes feels too tall, usually in slow technical climbs where its easy to stall out. Otherise, this bike is fantastic. For me. Will try to share a photo at some point.
    When the bike is out of warranty I will attempt to modify that seat collar to enable me to drop the post down at least 1/2 an inch.
    FYI, At 6.1, and a 34inch inside leg, I still was only just able to run a 100mm Reverb. So frame does run a little tall. But length is exactly spot on with a 60mm stem and 750mm wide bars.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoBino68 View Post
    I have to agree with this. This is an occasional issue where even with my drop post (100mm Reverb)it sometimes feels too tall, usually in slow technical climbs where its easy to stall out. Otherise, this bike is fantastic. For me. Will try to share a photo at some point.
    When the bike is out of warranty I will attempt to modify that seat collar to enable me to drop the post down at least 1/2 an inch.
    FYI, At 6.1, and a 34inch inside leg, I still was only just able to run a 100mm Reverb. So frame does run a little tall. But length is exactly spot on with a 60mm stem and 750mm wide bars.
    That is great to hear. Titus needs people like you who are rocking a FTM to come forward and talk about the bike. The FTM had a reputation and its great to see that those issues may have been taken care off.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    That is great to hear. Titus needs people like you who are rocking a FTM to come forward and talk about the bike. The FTM had a reputation and its great to see that those issues may have been taken care off.
    i have a ftm carbon she has been with me for 2 years and have had awesome fun with it and it has seen some very hard use including coed y brenin, chicksands, aston hill and even a good day at antur stig! i cant recommend this frame highly enough very light and stiff the whole build is only 11kg and it flies along on a trail leaving most in it dust!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •