mtbr member
    Aug 2006

El guapo fork options

I just rode my new 08 el guapo for the first time today. Although all types of climbing and descending were excellent, I noticed that the chopper effect sometimes felt pronounced enough where it was difficult keeping the front wheel from over pivoting when going through rock gardens at slower speeds. I guess it sometimes doesn't feel as nimble as my stumpy with the steeper head angle. I have a lyrik solo air and i'm wondering if getting an adjustable fork that I could lower when not blasting down hills would help. I understand that the low bb may cause a problem if I lower the shock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I run an 180mm 66rc3 on my El G and have not noticed anymore chopper effect than found in the bikes of a similar nature (slacker HA's), you could get an adjustable travel fork with minimal difference to your BB height............the problem I see though is if you're wishing your El G was as nimble as a stumpy (blasphemous speaking! )indicates you're not riding trails steep enough or difficult enough to appreciate what the El G was designed for (I'm really being sincere, not trying to be a punk) .........when you get in those spots you'll find the El G is extremely capable and agile, and yes, more nimble than your stumpy I just think the geo of an AM bike will take a little time to get used to is all.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It is better than the stumpy in pretty much every way but I want to use it for all types of riding, not just down Hill. It was the first ride, I"m acclimating to the bike as well as tweaking the set-up. I spent most of the ride adjusting things. I'm not quite there. I changed the stem and have been fooliing around with spacers, all of which made gigantic changes to the riding characteristics. I rode a nomad for a few days this past fall (blasphemous?) and didn't have that issue but then again I don't think it was sporting more than 150mm of travel

what's that rattle?
    Congrats on the new Guapo! I know what you're saying about regretting not waiting for a 2009 model, though, esp. with the blingy new kit. I wouldn't even mind giving some CB wheels a beta test...but I digress.

Was actually thinking about different forks while out on the Guapo tonight. I picked the 36 Talas for climbing, but in 100mm mode my weight is so far forward the back wheel spins out. A Totem might be worth a try to get the BB up a little bit, and dropping the front end with the U-Turn/2-Step would still keep the a2c out of the stupid-low range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Smile

Thanks Bro! . But first, I'll wait till things are completely dialed in and broken in before changing anything. I haven't had time to ride the bike on all types of trails. I will say that it pedals great and there is absolutely no bob what-so-ever. I took it through some pretty rough rock gardens and it had the perfect amount of plushness, which is to say I felt connect to the trail regardless. I haven't taken it off any drops yet but I know it'll be fine there. Great climber, I was surprised how well it pedaled up steep climbs even after reading all the reviews. It also rails tight turns great. I actually thought the Lyrik felt great but wondered what dropping the travel a bit would do for the steering in more level rocky situations.

mtbr member
    I use the 36Talas. Only need to wind down to 130mm when really winded and still have some steeper eroded/rooty climbs left to go through.

Agree with Blo, setting at 100mm felt really weird with too much weight forward. At 130mm, the whole thing already starts to feel a "bullish" xc. Sorry for lack of better description.

More importantly, its the playing around with the cockpit area. Stem length/rise and spacer stack that makes the most difference.

Running a zero stack headset and stems with low stack height (~35mm) gets to the lowest for the bar height. That seems to do the trick for me so far.

Yes the EG is my preferred do-it-all bike including riding on the street. Just have to swap a spacer or two back to below the stem for easier popping of a wheelie

what's that rattle?

To do list:

-Tune
    -Ride
    -Jump
    -Post pictures

To me an a2c of 545mm feels like the sweet spot. Wasea and a few others might argue that 565mm is pretty sweet, too. If your bars are 26" or narrower, going wider might be another option to fine tune the steering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks all for the thoughts! Will put pictures up in the next couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Stereo Steve- what length stem are you running? I built my EG with existing parts using a 125mm Talas and a 90mm stem. It climbed like crazy, but the front was definitely too low and my weight too far forward. "Aggressive XC" is right, but there were way too many pedal strikes in the rock gardens at 125mm. This winter I made some upgrades based on everyone's opinions here- and am really happy with a 65mm stem and the Lyrik solo air. First upgrading the fork helped raise the front end and the BB, but the stem length still had some of that "tiller" feeling and was way too hard to manual/wheelie. Changing the stem length and messing around with spacers did the trick. Yesterday I was able to climb with my riding buddy/nemesis and blow him away on the descents- just as it should be!
    So back to your question- stay away from forks with less than 130mm travel. Try some different stem lengths and spacers.

"El Whatever"
    Magura Wotan...

160mm or 120mm.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wayndar

That is exactly what I did and it completely fixed the problem. It took me three different stem lengths. It came with a 130mm stem (Don't ask me why they sent such a long one) and then I over compensated with a 60mm which made the cock pit too squashed and my riding position too upright. I finally bought a 90mm and finished by using the middle spacer position. Also I did a lot of tweaking to the suspension which worked wonders. Lastly, I realized that my style would have to change slightly. I drop the seat a little more and stay over the handle bars a bit through technical rocky sections. Now the bike is performing the way I hoped it would. Thanks for the suggestions, you were right on.