mtbr member
    Dec 2008

... and if we just ... El Guapo first ride reports

So I recently upgraded from a Switchblade to El Guapo and it's such an amazing bike. The Switchblade is no slouch and I still highly recommend it even if it's a few years past its prime but the Guapo is killer!

I finally got a chance to ride a few familiar trails with it and unless you're a weight weenie it destroys the Switchblade. It climbs better, it descends WAY better and it's just plain easier to ride. If I had to money to build a 28lb Guapo it would in every way beat my Switchblade. Even with the extra 4-5 pounds though it's a joy to ride.

I chose a RockShox Domain as my fork because I got a really good deal on it. As others on this forum have stated you don't need a travel adjust fork on El Guapo. The way they designed the frame makes a 160mm fork work perfectly for climbing and descending. BTW the Domain is a sweet fork. It's super plush when it's supposed to be but doesn't bob on the climbs.

Anyway if you have a chance to get a Guapo jump on it. The bike is amazing and makes riding more fun, which is the point right?

NOT Team Sanchez
    ditto brotha!!!!
    I like bikes.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by LegsAndLungs
    get a Guapo jump on it.
    exactly!!!

it lauches so smoothly and lands so forgivingly... it makes even the chickenest riders like me much more prone to flight...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well it was not my first ride today but it might has well been! I changed my stem height, made a few minor adjustments and added crankbrother acids instead of flats. What a different ride with the few tweaks. My Guapo can climb,launch and just feels so much better. I guess I never realized how important a few tweaks here and there could be. Now that it is dialed in a bit more I can say, this bike can do it all. Those crankbrother acids are great so far. Just enough platform to stay unclipped if need be but not bulky like the mallets I have on my Ironhorse mk. Next is to add the Joplin that arrived yesterday!

mtbr member

Well

I must say
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Good call craigstr. I'll try to remember my camera on my ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I agree, I will have my camera for my sunday ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here are some pics from today. No jumps just rollers at Blue mountain in Westchester NY.
    Attached Images Attached Images

crash and burn at 45
    nice camera tilt on that second shot. Been thinking about one of these. Any feedback about the Pearl?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So far I like the pearl. No issues at all, just not used to the sound it makes but that has no effect on the function. This bike absolutely rails down hill. Clipped in I am surprised how it climbs as well.

The Crow
    I've demoed a EG with a Pearl and was surprised at how good it was. Couldn't believe there isn't more buzz around it.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

Members who have read this thread: 0