Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Master of None

El Guapo demo bike first impressions

I received my demo El Guapo and set it up. A nice build! Lyrik solo air, Juicy 7, Crossmax SX, etc.

The bike frame size medium, and I weigh 195 lb w/gear and 34" inseam.

The good:
    Short top tube - comfortable and great for moving around the cockpit.
    Climbing - no bob, very stable yet suspension still fully active while pedaling.
    Looks great - black ano frame, clean lines, nice cable routing.
    Stiff - the rear triangle is about twice as stiff as my single pivot bike.
    Handling - railed the corners, very confident.
    Head angle - a bit slow on the climbs but on the descents it was just right.

The bad:
    Pearl shock - couldn't get more than 3/4 travel, too much compression damping
    Lyrik fork - again too much high speed compression but otherwise smooth.

I set the sag up at my usual 30% on the fork and shock. However, even pushing the rear of the bike into the ground off jumps I could not get at that last 1/4 travel. I turned the gold 'gate' knob all the way out and could get the bike to bob quite easily by bounching on the seat; however there was still too much compression damping and the rear felt harsh over small rocks. I let out a little air but it really stiffened up at the end! Still could not get all the travel. I let out ALL the air and I then could get it to bottom by pushing it down by hand. The rebound adjustment was fine, although a little sensitive - one click made a large change. I left the 'gate' knob all the way out.

I tested the rear tire for frame contact at full bottom and there is about 1/4" from the cable stop with the 2.3" Continental Vertical UST tire.

The cable routing on the sides of the top tube was never a problem. I never found it to be annoying and rarely did my knees hit the cables.

The medium frame fit me perfect. I like a bit smaller frame, and it fit like a glove.

There are two mounting holes for the shock linkage arm and mine is in the lower hole. The measured BB height is 13.5". I imagine if the bolt was moved to the other hole the BB height would then be the 13.85" with a steeper head angle.

I'll add more to this thread as I ride the bike more.

thats right living legend
    Nice review! Thanks it read well.

I don't know?... but somehow I doubt changing the shock mounting hole will change the BB hieght or head angle?

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Nice review! Thanks it read well.

I don't know?... but somehow I doubt changing the shock mounting hole will change the BB hieght or head angle?
    Glad you liked it.

It's the lower pivot hole for that silver linkage arm that the shock bolts to. It looks like what it does is raise up the rear of the bike but keep the travel the same. I imagine also it would give more frame clearance for larger tires when you bottom out.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Glad you liked it.

It's the lower pivot hole for that silver linkage arm that the shock bolts to. It looks like what it does is raise up the rear of the bike but keep the travel the same. I imagine also it would give more frame clearance for larger tires when you bottom out.
    Thanks, man!!!

Sweet, revealing review... I guess you addressed most of people's concerns. Cool from ya!

Now go grab a camera and give us photo-proof!

As for the holes, Titus Jeff mentioned the holes also give different rates for running either a coil or air shock... Let us know how it affects geometry (if any)... We could have "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" bike here...
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I received my demo El Guapo and set it up. A nice build! Lyrik solo air, Juicy 7, Crossmax SX, etc.

The bad:

I set the sag up at my usual 30% on the fork and shock. However, even pushing the rear of the bike into the ground off jumps I could not get at that last 1/4 travel. I let out ALL the air and I then could get it to bottom by pushing it down by hand.
    I wonder if this is the elastomer bottom out bumper?

Good review... thanks

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

Good review... thanks
    I have an elastomer from a 5th Air (same as Swinger recommended by Tscheezy)... anyone with a Pearl is invited to try it. Just measure the shaft diameter of the Pearl to see if the one on the 5th fits, but I'm positive it will.

I'm afraid it would not arrive in time for presslab, though.
    Check my Site

the 36 year old grom
    conti 2.3 is a very small tire. very odd that it was sent out to you with basically an XC tire. its about the same size as a nevegal 2.1.

all the titus ddemos had nevgal 2.5s on them. that would explain the 13.5 bb height. with a proper tire it should be close to the published spec.

but, 1/4 inch clearance at bottom out is not much. TSchezzy complained about tire rub at full compresion on his interbike review.. you should try a bigger tire before you buy. you paid $200 for the test ride you should make them send you the right tires.

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

Good review... thanks
    Hmm, could be! I could compress the shock fully by hand with no air in it, and I could feel the distinct bottoming when I did that. The elastomer must not be that stiff if I could compress it by hand? I dunno. But with the way it is setup now it's like riding a 4.5" travel bike. Maybe if I did huge drops I could get to use the rest of the travel. But I don't so I'd rather it be a little more 'linear.'

I'll move the linkage to the other position tonight and measure the BB height and tire clearance when bottomed.

And I'll try to snap a few pics.

Another festivus MIRACLE!

The bike frame size medium, and I weigh 195 lb w/gear and 34" inseam.

The good:
    Short top tube - comfortable and great for moving around the cockpit.
    Climbing - no bob, very stable yet suspension still fully active while pedaling.
    Looks great - black ano frame, clean lines, nice cable routing.
    Stiff - the rear triangle is about twice as stiff as my single pivot bike.
    Handling - railed the corners, very confident.
    Head angle - a bit slow on the climbs but on the descents it was just right.

The bad:

I set the sag up at my usual 30% on the fork and shock. However, even pushing the rear of the bike into the ground off jumps I could not get at that last 1/4 travel. I turned the gold 'gate' knob all the way out and could get the bike to bob quite easily by bounching on the seat; however there was still too much compression damping and the rear felt harsh over small rocks. I let out a little air but it really stiffened up at the end! Still could not get all the travel. I let out ALL the air and I then could get it to bottom by pushing it down by hand. The rebound adjustment was fine, although a little sensitive - one click made a large change. I left the 'gate' knob all the way out.

I tested the rear tire for frame contact at full bottom and there is about 1/4" from the cable stop with the 2.3" Continental Vertical UST tire.

The cable routing on the sides of the top tube was never a problem. I never found it to be annoying and rarely did my knees hit the cables.

The medium frame fit me perfect. I like a bit smaller frame, and it fit like a glove.

There are two mounting holes for the shock linkage arm and mine is in the lower hole. The measured BB height is 13.5". I imagine if the bolt was moved to the other hole the BB height would then be the 13.85" with a steeper head angle.

I'll add more to this thread as I ride the bike more.

What settings are you using on the Solo Air and how much do you weight?

Thanks!
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    conti 2.3 is a very small tire. very odd that it was sent out to you with basically an XC tire. its about the same size as a nevegal 2.1.

all the titus ddemos had nevgal 2.5s on them. that would explain the 13.5 bb height. with a proper tire it should be close to the published spec.

but, 1/4 inch clearance at bottom out is not much. TSchezzy complained about tire rub at full compresion on his interbike review.. you should try a bigger tire before you buy. you paid $200 for the test ride you should make them send you the right tires.
    At first glance the tires didn't seem too skinny; I will measure them. Normally I run a 2.35 tire in the rear, but Titus lists a 2.5 max and I agree, I doubt a 'real' 2.5 will clear the cable stop on the seat tube.

The performance of the Conti tires is ok, nothing to write home about. I like the slow rebound rubber compounds...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice review

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    What settings are you using on the Solo Air and how much do you weight?

Thanks!
    I'll check my exact settings and report back. I know the "high speed compression" knob is all the way CCW.

I'll check my exact settings and report back. I know the "high speed compression" knob is all the way CCW.

Thanks!
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

Master of None
    Here's the long awaited pic:
    DSCN2265.JPG

The Lyrik settings are 50 PSI, low speed compression 10 clicks from full in, high speed compression full out, rebound 7 clicks from full in. I am 195 lbs geared up.

Moving the linkage bolt had no effect on BB height. In the upper position did give about 1/8" more tire clearance when bottomed. I suspect it chances how 'variable' the leverage ratio is.

The Conti Vertical 2.3" tires measure out at 2.252" at the outer knobs.

"El Whatever"
    ROTFLMAO!!!

Bro, thanks for the info!

(But we want more details of the box... it looks like a motorcycle ran over it)
    Check my Site

thats right living legend
    Do you mind posting a pic of the other side of the box please... Thanks!

mtbr member
    NICE looking cardboard! I just wish they weren't assembled overseas...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    NICE looking cardboard! I just wish they weren't assembled overseas...
    cardboard that is assembled overseas but designed in the USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What ?~?

That's not a Titus Box !~!

Competitive Cyclist

no moto no mustard just plain ran over USA designed assembled overseas cardboard...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    will that side be the mustard

Master of None
    Oh, just wait for the box action pics!!

here is a better pic:
    DSCN2267.JPG

Here is a close-up of the adjustable linkage:
    DSCN2268.JPG

The mark on the box is courtesy of United Package Smashers, aka UPS. I think they were playing fork lift hockey with my box.

cool.. that looks beefy.... and dusty... as it should be

mtbr member

Just for referrence

The upper mounting hole doesn't change the BB height, we've played around to check it out. The upper hole changes the leverage ratio for running a coil shock. ride On- E2
    Don't drink it

DSCN2265.JPG

The Lyrik settings are 50 PSI, low speed compression 10 clicks from full in, high speed compression full out, rebound 7 clicks from full in. I am 195 lbs geared up.

Moving the linkage bolt had no effect on BB height. In the upper position did give about 1/8" more tire clearance when bottomed. I suspect it chances how 'variable' the leverage ratio is.

The Conti Vertical 2.3" tires measure out at 2.252" at the outer knobs.

presslab,

It's interesting that the PSI you run is lower than recommended for your weight. I noticed this too. I'm 220lbs and it says between 75-85psi. I run ~60psi to get correct sag.

I see that you like slower rebound. I'll give that a try. I'm still fiddling to get the fork how I like it....

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    presslab,

It's interesting that the PSI you run is lower than recommended for your weight. I noticed this too. I'm 220lbs and it says between 75-85psi. I run ~60psi to get correct sag.

I see that you like slower rebound. I'll give that a try. I'm still fiddling to get the fork how I like it....
    The PSI depends on the weight bias. These type of bikes with a rearward bias will have less weight on the fork, so that requires less PSI for the spring pressure.

Actually I prefer a faster rebound. Maybe it's just a manufacturing tolerance? But it seems to rebound pretty quick.

One simple way for adjusting rebound is to ride up a curb. Slow the rebound way down and then ride over the curb. Remember how that feels. Then speed up the rebound while riding over it again. Keep doing that until you can feel the fork kick back just a tiny bit. Now you could leave the rebound right there or slow it back down just a little.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast