Zero to drunk in $20

El Guapo coil shock recommendations

I have an '08 Guapo with the stock Rock Shox Pearl 3.1. I would like to slap a coil shock on there and would appreciate any suggestions.

This is my one bike, I use it in both x-country type stuff and freeride. I'm doing more and more freeride type of stuff. It currently climbs great, I'm not too worried about adding a bit of weight.

So far I've looked at the CC Double Barrel and Fox DHX coil... Overkill? Good?

Also, the shock size is 8.5"x2.5" right?

Thanks!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    CCDB is probably the best shock on the market, particularly if you're a knob twiddler. Really expensive, though.

mtbr member
    I don't think the double has bottom out control.

Iooked into coils for a while. Waiting to hear how the Monarch hype stacks up before I drop the coin. .personally I'd go with an RC4 and keep the air shock for long rides if I had the cash.
    Last edited by Deerhill; 01-25-2011 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    $215 + $269 Push Team Issue Kit = one of the best shocks on the market!

Oh, why do you temp me so?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's a pretty good deal. The coils themselves are $30 (plus shipping) apiece. You can dial in your sag and then sell the coils you don't need.

mtbr member

coils

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    It's a pretty good deal. The coils themselves are $30 (plus shipping) apiece. You can dial in your sag and then sell the coils you don't need.

Boyle, your gonna need a couple coils to set your sag correctly.

mtbr member

Might have to rob a bank

or sell a kidney to get these
    Last edited by Deerhill; 05-29-2011 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    DHX Air.

Ignore all the negative reviews - they were mostly from Specialized Enduro Take Offs that as usual Specialized had made "special" for the Enduro. Special Cheap and Special Breakable.

I've run a DHX Air 5.0 for 2 years now and it works great EVERYWHERE.

Climbs great with or without ProPedal.

Easy to set up the shock so that ProPedal makes it really snappy on the accelerations and Open with bottom out control just soaks up the big stuff.

I ride everything from smooth local trails to Northstar & Downyville. All I change is my rear tire.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm not going to try and mess with your mind or anything, but I recently purchased and rode the exact shock you're trying to get rid of and absolutely loved it! I've run an rp23, dhx5, pushed dhx5, and pushed marz roco on my EG as a means for comparison.......maybe I'm crazy
    I like bikes.

Zero to drunk in $20
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I ended up snagging a double barrel from a guy I know local. I'm putting it on today, so I'll post what I think once I get it set up.

MC MasterShake
    I had a DHX air on mine and couldn't stand it. I went to the CCDB and it really transformed that bike. I stuck with the recommended coil weight based on the online calculators and it was perfect.

The CCDB doesn't have an independent bottom out adjuster but you can use the HSC dial to help dial it out. I had no problem configuring it to be plush, have solid midstroke support, and be heavily resistant to bottom out.

mtbr member
    Looks like shock is the one topic on the EG that has really varied opinions.

Woodyak.. mind sharing what kind of general trail settings are on your CCDB refence with riding weight? Thanks

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    Looks like shock is the one topic on the EG that has really varied opinions.

Woodyak.. mind sharing what kind of general trail settings are on your CCDB refence with riding weight? Thanks
    It's been awhile. I'm on a Knolly Delirium now with the same shock. I'm 150 lbs. and I rode a 350 lb. steel spring then a 325 lb. TI spring. With either I was able to get around 30% sag with the proper preload. I do remember having to use a good big of HSC to keep it from bottoming out. I found the suspension on that bike to be pretty linear with a coil shock. I like my rebound on the slower side as it helps keep control with the bigger hits and drops.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Slightly OT, but what's really strange is my first post in this thread has been edited. And it wasn't done by me and shows no tag that it's been edited.