mtbr member
    Feb 2009

El Guapo Build Question??

I test rode a 2009 El Guapo a few years back and loved it but didn't want to shell out the $$$ for it. I bought a 09 Gary Fisher Roscoe for $3500 bucks at the time which has been a great AM Rig so far. Now with the great price on 2010 Frames from Titus I'm tempted to sell my Roscoe and build a new Guapo. Hypothetically speaking what would a decent AM build cost me. I would like to stick with Fox Suspension. The rest of the components could be mid/upper range. Shimano XT/SLX has always worked for me but I'd be interested in switching to SRAM if need be. I'm not a wrench head so I'd have to go to a LBS for the build. I'm sure if I was patient enough I could find deals on web, etc for components. Most my riding is XC/AM type stuff with an occassional park run once a year. Terrain is So Cal rocky, sandy, steep, fireroads and singletrack.

Cheers!

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    I have a 2010 EG on display that I plan to strip down for parts. Could make for a good build for yours.
    Talas 36RC2, 100-120-140, 1.5 straight steerer, Kindshock or Thomson seatpost, and a few more goodies. XT or X9
    Email bob@bikerbob.com

Off the back...
    If you don't go with Bob's very nice selection of parts, a full build will cost around $2k + frame/shock. There is a huge range of quality and costs on a build, but the big ticket items will usually be the wheels and fork, followed by the brakes. Those items will often run you over $1000.

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    Have you thought about stripping down the Roscoe? as long as the headtube length isn't smaller than the titus, you can transfer over the fork with a reducer/taper headset since that fork is already a taper. 140mm is kinda the minimum I think you'd want to run on the El guapo frame though.

I'm currently working on a Budget El Guapo and I'm going to be able to build it for under 2G only because I gota bernin hot deal on frame + shocks + rims + brakes. No way I wouldn't be able to build a descent bike with new parts under $2500 total without the deal I got on some used stuff. Now I just have to keep my head budget oriented on getting this thing together without blowin money on 650B front wheel and tire setup before I get a Dropper seatpost and chain tensioner/bashguard setup!
    FS 29r and 26r - Lets ride!

mtbr member

EG would not be good with a 140mm fork

That would put the bottom bracket around 12.5 ", everyone complains of the low BB and pedal strikes with a 160mm fork. It would also increase the HA by more than one degree.