mtbr member
    Jul 2007

El Guapo, which angle headset

Works components has multiple headsets but not sure which one...

EC34 / ZS49?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    depends on the fork you want to use, and which EG you have.

if you are running the old (2009/2010) straight 1.5" head tube EG, you want:
    - for a straight 1-1/8 steerer fork, you have a wide choice: EC49 or ZS49 top cup, EC49 or ZS49 bottom cup
    - for a tapered steerer fork, you have to use a EC49 bottom cup, and can run either a EC49 or ZS49 top cup
    - for a 1.5" steerer fork, you have to use external cup top and bottom - ie. both EC49.

if you have the newer EG with the tapered headtube, I'm not that familiar with that 44/49 setup, but am pretty sure it would use the same bottom cups as above, as it still uses a 49mm bottom. As for the top cup, i am not 100% sure, but you probably can use similar cups to the top cups mentioned above (except in 44, not 49), but only if the ZS top cup fits in a 44mm headtube (not sure of this). in any case, the EC44 top cup will work.

I had a look for work components on the on one website, and it is pretty vague, as they don't state the dimensions of their headsets. This lack of clarity on their website about their products seems to be pretty common - given the comments/complaints about it (eg. specs/ geo of new frames etc, updating the website for changes, or even showing them at all), it is weird that they don't fix it. i'm starting to feel that it is beyond slackness, maybe even deliberate.

mtbr member
    Full 1.5 headtube (2010 or earlier) 49 top cup, 49 bottom
    2011 (tapered headtube) 44 top cup, 49 bottom

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    forgot to mention - in case you bought one of the first batch of tapered head tubed EGs, you might want to check the thread about the limited top cup insertion depth allowed by those frames. those head tubes only allowed certain headsets to fit. if you want to use other headsets, you need to get the headtube reamed first, or the top cup wouldn't fit. titus has offered to fix it (need to ship it back), and has reamed later frames before shipping.

as the opportunity to have another whinge has presented itself, renegade will probably chime in about this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks everyone. I should have been more direct... There are 2 different sets of cups, both 34/49. One is external bottom /zero stack upper, one set is zero stack top and bottom. Which one is correct for the 2011 tapered head tube with a straight 1 and 1/8 steer?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Thanks everyone. I should have been more direct... There are 2 different sets of cups, both 34/49. One is external bottom /zero stack upper, one set is zero stack top and bottom. Which one is correct for the 2011 tapered head tube with a straight 1 and 1/8 steer?

Thanks again.
    as i said in my first post, if you have a straight 1-1/8 fork, you can use either internal (ZS) or external (EC) bottom cups. your choice - based on whether you want to lift the front end or not - the external cup would lift it about a centimetre or so, which would very slightly slacken the bike, and lift the BB a few mm.

also, make sure you get the right crown race to fit the 1-1/8 fork. When you get the headset, you should probably get both crown races, to make it easy to swap to a taper steerer fork later.

when you say 34/49, don't you mean 44/49? 34mm does not match any measurement for that bike, either for the frame (which is 44 top, 49 bottom) or the fork (which is about 29 for 1-1/8 or 38 for 1.5").

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes scoured, I meant 44/49. Thanks for the help. I didn't know if the frame could run both internal and external sets. Good to know.