XT Cranks
    Easton XC Monkey Bars
    Crappy 70mm stem (50mm on the way)
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    WTB Rocket saddle
    Hope QR stuff
    Dangerboy rock ring
    31 to 32 lbs?

So far I have 2 days on the bike. The first day was a dial-in the bike kind of ride. The trail is some highly technical singletrack with some fast flowy spots and rooty/rocky climbs. The 2nd day was more of a how does this bike compare type of ride. This trail is a very muscley type of ride with big rocks, rollers, drops, speed lines, rock gardens, etc. The type of trail where most people wear pads.

The first thing I noticed was that this bike just feels right. I hopped on it and I was riding w/o any adjustment period, despite not having my rear shock dialed-in. The balance and the steering are spot on. It's also the stiffest bike I've ever been on which was very nice to feel. I found myself climbing and ripping this bike like I've been on it for years. When I hit the speed lines I was very impressed with how it railed. I was leaning into my turns like I never had before and the bike was sticking it. As far as the rough stuff goes it was quite plush. I hit a handfull of smaller drops (3' to 4' range) and the felt very stable and forgiving in the air. It also was very stable on the large rollers, having the Van36 doesn't hurt either (the fork rocks). As far as narrow bridges goes I felt more confident on this bike than any others. Just point and ride. I did hit my pedals on rock gardens more than I'm used to but it wasn't a big deal. I also did some fireroad and road climbs on it to see how it would handle that and I was impressed with how well it rode. I didn't even turn on the Propedal at all because I didn't feel like it would help that much. Overall I'm very excited about this bike. With some weekend trips and a 24 hour race coming up I'm very happy to have a solid rig again.

DHX Air Notes:
    I had to really play with the DHX Air to get it to feel plush. The default settings were pretty harsh. You can't just set the sag and go, you really need to dial it in. I ended up backing the bottom out knob and propedal knobs all the way. I was still only using about 2/3 of my travel until I dropped the air pressure in the reservoir. That seemed to do the trick. It's still not dialed in to where I want it but it's very close.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Glad you like the bike. It is sharp. Are you glad you kept it?

Brian Looper

Trophy Husband
    Woody

NICE! I think you're gonna like the bike. The DHX air is nice when set-up properly.

I like the gold accents...the bike looks good.

cheers
    Extreme stationary biker.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sweet!

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Well after much finageling I was able to keep her. Here are the specs:

Sm Blue Titus El Guapo
    DHX Air 5.0
    Vanilla 36 RC2
    DT Swiss 5.1 Rims
    Schwalbe Fat Alberts
    Hadley/Hope hubs
    XT Drivetrain 2x9
    XT Cranks
    Easton XC Monkey Bars
    Crappy 70mm stem (50mm on the way)
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    WTB Rocket saddle
    Hope QR stuff
    Dangerboy rock ring
    31 to 32 lbs?

DHX Air Notes:
    I had to really play with the DHX Air to get it to feel plush. The default settings were pretty harsh. You can't just set the sag and go, you really need to dial it in. I ended up backing the bottom out knob and propedal knobs all the way. I was still only using about 2/3 of my travel until I dropped the air pressure in the reservoir. That seemed to do the trick. It's still not dialed in to where I want it but it's very close.
    Can I ask what your inseam is? You apparently seem quite comfortable with the frame. I'm asking for future reference.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

"El Whatever"
    Glad you keep it, Woody!!!

Even more glad you really like it!!!!
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    very nize! It's great to see a build other than the flat black with pearl and talas 36 build that titus has been pushing.

with all the confusion about el guapo geometry, can you post up your BB height?

I definitely think you made the right choice keeping it. Selling it and buying anything comparable would have cost you a lot of money. That bike looks tight!

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Another rider raving about The Handsome One!

*SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Can I ask what your inseam is? You apparently seem quite comfortable with the frame. I'm asking for future reference.
    I'd say 29.5" inseam and I'm 5'5"

Master of None
    That thing looks hot! Nice build.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Luckeeeeee!

........to quote Napoleon Dynamite.

I was justing getting to fall in love with my black EG, but your build makes the blue almost desirable and someting I'd want to sport.
    Very glad you kept it, Woody.

Veni Vidi Vici
    Well done Woodyak nice built, thanks for the review

thats right living legend
    So what made you decide to keep it? All these reviews that have been finally coming in?

They sure have been speaking to "me".

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    very nize! It's great to see a build other than the flat black with pearl and talas 36 build that titus has been pushing.

with all the confusion about el guapo geometry, can you post up your BB height?
    I measured it last night and it was 13.25" from the floor to the center of the crank bolt. I'm not sure where they get 13.85". I wonder which fork they used for their geometry specs.

btw,
    I've always owned bikes with high BB's so this is very different for me and I really like it. It's a ton more stable at speed and sharp turns.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    So what made you decide to keep it? All these reviews that have been finally coming in?

They sure have been speaking to "me".
    The reviews certainly didn't hurt. It's been boxed in my office for awhile and I swear I could hear her whimpering "build me" So I once again listened to the strange voices in my head. All it took was 2 good rides to decide this is the one for me. It was like trying on a shoe that just fits right.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    ........to quote Napoleon Dynamite.

I was justing getting to fall in love with my black EG, but your build makes the blue almost desirable and someting I'd want to sport.
    Very glad you kept it, Woody.
    Yeah, I really was disappointed at first when Titus said they couldn't get me the black but when I saw the blue in person I really liked it and I'm pretty stoked on it. I'm the type of guy who usually likes the more industrial colors like black, polished, or even better raw aluminum (IE Intense's "Works"), but I'm quite happy with this color.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I measured it last night and it was 13.25" from the floor to the center of the crank bolt.
    I don't get it.

That is way different than spec. I wonder whom is smokin' dope here...Titus designers, Taiwanese welders or woodyak? Come on, give it up...who's "on the pot"?

Are you sure you have the 36Van and not the 32Van? kidding of course.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Nice report. Glad you're digging the EG.

May I ask what bike or bikes you've been riding previously that you're comparing the El Quapo to? "The stiffest bike I've ever ridden" comment caught my attention.

If I have a complaint with my 6.6 it's that it feels a little squirly in the rear when going through off-camber, rocky, or rutty stuff that puts a side load on the rear tire/triangle. I wondered if this is just kinda what you have to expect from a lightish 6.75" bike or if it's unique to my bike.
    Last edited by KRob; 07-19-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KRob

May I ask what bike or bikes you've been riding previous this one that you're comparing the El Quapo to? "The stiffest bike I've ever ridden" comment caught my attention.

If I have a complaint with my 6.6 it's that it feels a little squirly when going through off-camber, rocky, or rutty stuff that puts a side load on the rear.

If "stiffness' catches your attention it's a wonder "Titus" didn't already get it a long time ago.

For me stiffnes is A #1, and IMO Titus and the word stiffness have held the same meaning.

mtbr member
    cool man...

I am glad to hear you got her built up and are digging it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    If "stiffness' catches your attention it's a wonder "Titus" didn't already get it a long time ago.
    It did. Maybe that's why I'm spoiled. The HH is super stiff.

It did. Maybe that's why I'm spoiled. The HH is super stiff.

HH are indeed stiff... super stiff.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I don't get it.

That is way different than spec. I wonder whom is smokin' dope here...Titus designers, Taiwanese welders or woodyak? Come on, give it up...who's "on the pot"?

Are you sure you have the 36Van and not the 32Van? kidding of course.
    I haven't touched that stuff in years. I wouldn't even know where to get the stuff. At least that's what I tell the wife

But I mast have been on something. I remeasured and it came up with 13.5". I was looking at the wrong line on the ruler

MC MasterShake

May I ask what bike or bikes you've been riding previously that you're comparing the El Quapo to? "The stiffest bike I've ever ridden" comment caught my attention.

If I have a complaint with my 6.6 it's that it feels a little squirly in the rear when going through off-camber, rocky, or rutty stuff that puts a side load on the rear tire/triangle. I wondered if this is just kinda what you have to expect from a lightish 6.75" bike or if it's unique to my bike.
    The bikes I have some good riding time on and compare it to are the 07 Spec Enduro light, 06 Spec Enduro, 07 SC Blur, 6.6, old SC Bullet, 03 Quasimoto, 06 Motolight, 05 5-Spot.

I too felt some flex in the rear of the 6.6. The EG is noticably stiffer. I think they're trying to fix that in the 6.6 SS.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    It's those German tyres he insists on using
    Schwalbes rock! Once you drink out of "Das Boot" you'll see...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast