mtbr member

Good job! El Guapo, aka "SuMoLite" first ride impressions!

[SIZE="4"]SuMoLite![/SIZE]

Got it, built it, and rode it today! Thanks again Biker Bob!

The all black 66SL looks as if it were made by Titus specifically to go on this bike! Damn sexy! Muy guapo! Sorry, my camera is not functioning. I know I know I know...

But looks aint worth jack if it don't ride good. I'll get to that...

Basically I just threw everything from the SuMo onto the handsome one - hence, SuMoLite!

Basic specs: Large EG, 65mm stem, '06 66SL, heavy UST FR wheels w/ heavy 2.5 Maxxis DH tires, X.9 everything, xt cranks, Syntace bar... I did not use the braze-on cable guides; instead I ran the cables down along the top of the down tube, ala Supermoto stylie.

I did not weigh the beast because I didn't want to cloud or color my perception / expectation of the ride. This is just the "initial build" - all parts were stolen from the SuMo. I fully intend to lose several pounds in wheels / tires, and the Evolver shock is due next week...

I took SuMoLite out for a late evening hammer session on my "back yard" trail; about 7 miles of constant up and down which includes speedy buff xc singletrack, rocks, steep loose gravel climbs, ledges up, ledges down, rocky-ass washes, rocky-ass climbs, steep DH's covered in loose golfballs & baby-head rocks, a fun - if a little harsh - 4ft huck to a flat slab of slickrock, rocks, and cobble filled creek beds with, ah, rocks. As my "daily local", I've ridden this trail network countelss times since the early 90's, so I have a good idea of what to expect from a bike here. The last 2 years have all been on the SuMo. In fact, I did this exact ride day before yesterday on the SuMo, so the comparison is fresh.

At 7x7 and 37lbs, I've felt strongly that the SuMo pedals and climbs really well for what it is - I actually prefered it over the Nomad I had for a week last year. Well damn, the El Guapo just does it so much easier - even though the build is exactly the same and the weight is only a couple lbs less! I kept charging steep loose hills that I've always had to charge, only to find my wheel spinning and spitting gravel. I could turn it down a couple notches and just spin up every time! The EG felt as if it were at least 5lbs lighter than it actually is.

As would be expected, the EG was not as good at descending. Compared to the SuMo the rear end was really sketchy in the loose steep crumbly rocky DH, and unlike the SuMo, braking in this terrain seemed to impede the suspensions performace. However, the crappy Pearl shock is not even close to being dialed in. I feel this has a lot to do with it. I can't believe they put that pos shock on such a nice frame. I'm sorry to have paid for it. I hope the Evolver will bring the rear end closer to SuMo quality of performance.

I really noticed a difference from the SuMo on the few small hucks and jumps I tired - the SuMo of course being far superior. Again, I feel this is largely because of the pearl. I'll dial it in as best I can - I'd like to find the reason they must have found to choose this shock.

So far I’m happy and excited to have this bike. I was hoping for a "beefy MotoLite", but with this build, the EG is more like a [SIZE="4"]SuMoLite[/SIZE]. Perfect!?!?!!!

Edit: note that photos blow were taken with a tiny 2.0 tire I borrowed from the wife's ML.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 07-19-2007 at 03:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Great and happy end!. Enjoy

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sweet, 'Zona!!!

but please find a camera soon!!!

"El Whatever"
    Congrats, RNZ!!!!

Great report... keep the info coming!
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Sweet bro, very much similar thoughts to me... Enjoy.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sweet azzz RnZ !~!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    .... I can't believe they put that pos shock on such a nice frame. I'm sorry to have paid for it. ....
    they should offer a refund for it, so they don't all end up in landfills

Master of None
    Very nice, enjoy!

When you find a working camera pics would be sweet! Let us know how the Evolver works out also.

thats right living legend
    That's an interesting take on it regarding more a SuMo light rather than a burly ML.

Looking forward to a further review... Thanks!

mtbr member

Good job! "SuMoLite" a few rides later...

Well, I'm in love!

I've been riding almost every day, progressively turning up the intensity and general "gnar factor", and I just really dig this bike.

I swaped out the DH tires for UST Fat Albert 2.35 and NBX 2.3. This brought the weight down to 34lbs, 14oz, and upped the pedaling efficiency. I also dialed in the Peral, and have actually gained some appreciation for it - it is solid in its mid-stroke. No, I'm not going to keep it, but I can appreciate why Titus chose this shock.

In addition to pedaling / climbing much better than the SuMo, it also transfers information from the tires much better. On screaming DH singletrack, I feel exactly what's going on and can adjust attitudes instantly, making me faster in some situations. I've not got high speed super tight cornering down as well as on the SuMo - with weight so far back on the SuMo you just point the front and the rear tire is just right there under you. I definitly feel how much further back the rear tire is on the El Guapo! I've got to learn to cut the apex tighter so as to counter the larger turning radius, and keep that rear end in the trail.

Ah, pedal strike is back in my life! I smack or plant them on every ride. All in all, an acceptable trade off. The lower BB contributes a lot to high speed handling!

As for air time, well it just takes more to get and keep the front end up, but I've hit a bunch of hard landings to flat (3-4 foot) and the bike doesn't complain. It's NOT a FR bike, and I'd certainly take the SuMo to Whistler. But for my every day trail bike, I'm happy to say there's no looking back!

"Its All Good"
    Sweet to hear RnZ. Glad you are digging it more and more... I am interested to know my feelings next ride on the ML... But yes I am still in lust, pleasing that yours has moved to LOVE....

Some pics bro would help the lust factor somewhat!

Enjoy....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

the 36 year old grom
    In addition to pedaling / climbing much better than the SuMo, it also transfers information from the tires much better. On screaming DH singletrack, I feel exactly what's going on and can adjust attitudes instantly, making me faster in some situations. I've not got high speed super tight cornering down as well as on the SuMo - with weight so far back on the SuMo you just point the front and the rear tire is just right there under you. I definitly feel how much further back the rear tire is on the El Guapo! I've got to learn to cut the apex tighter so as to counter the larger turning radius, and keep that rear end in the trail.
    I agree 100% the guapo is the stiffest frame I've ever ridden. I also Agree about the handeling charcateristics of the SuMo. you can just hang out on the rear of the sumo and let it rip. which is lots of fun and You'll just about never find yourself out of position. "mistake proof".

The guapo is more Motolite in the technique needed to ring it out, It rewards you for getting into attack position and finding the balance spot. the balance spot is big and easy to find. "balance spot" is what I call when booth tires will break loose at about the same time. on loose soft turns, I can feel the bike pivot around me. Anyway... the guapo really responds to technique, its a blast to ride.

I'm super stoked on the guapo too.

mtbr member

Hope Camera dead...

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Sweet to hear RnZ. Glad you are digging it more and more... I am interested to know my feelings next ride on the ML... But yes I am still in lust, pleasing that yours has moved to LOVE....

Some pics bro would help the lust factor somewhat!

Enjoy....
    Yeah, I wish I had a camera! Mine died . I'm tempted to get one @ WalMart just for my Titus bro's, but my lady purchased a nice digi SLR last week, so I'll hold out for a couple more days 'till it arrives. Sorry all
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 07-19-2007 at 01:56 PM.

not so super...
    RnZ - what travel setting do you have the SL in and what is your BB with the 2.3 tires?
    Nothing to see here.

Yeah, I wish I had a camera! Mine died . I'm tempted to get one @ WalMart just for my Titus bro's, but my lady purchased a nice digi SLR last week, so I'll hold out for a couple more days. Sorry all
    then borrow the DSLR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    RnZ - what travel setting do you have the SL in and what is your BB with the 2.3 tires?

66SL is maybe 2-3mm shy of full extension, so 167mm or so.

BB w/ 2.3's = 13 7/8" This is to the exact center of crank shaft.

Trophy Husband
    So far Iím happy and excited to have this bike. I was hoping for a "beefy MotoLite", but with this build, the EG is more like a [SIZE="4"]SuMoLite[/SIZE]. Perfect!?!?!!!

Edit: note that photos blow were taken with a tiny 2.0 tire I borrowed from the wife's ML.
    RNZ

Thanks for the pics...the bike looks great! It's too bad the Pearl is such a POS, because it looks really good.

Looking forward to more ride reports.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Nice pics!

Looks great!

Nice touch with the cable routing..at least it gets out of the "biggest conflict area"

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Nice pics!

Looks great!

Nice touch with the cable routing..at least it gets out of the "biggest conflict area"
    yea, but that middle cable holder looks like Jaws just waiting to take a huge bite out of your knee. I think it would be better to use it than leave it open like that.

Otherwise, a very nice looking bike. Keep that 66!!
    Nothing to see here.

yea, but that middle cable holder looks like jaws just waiting to take a huge bite out of your knee. I think it would be better to use it than leave it open like that.

Otherwise, a very nice looking bike. Keep that 66!!
    good point, SS..... didn't see that way...

MC MasterShake
    yea, but that middle cable holder looks like Jaws just waiting to take a huge bite out of your knee. I think it would be better to use it than leave it open like that.
    The cable holder is actually quite smooth when you remove the clip. It definitely wouldn't hurt anything if you rubbed up against it. I personally, haven't had an issue with hitting the cables. I only have 8 hours on it but it hasn't come close once.

I did have a problem with those clip holders popping off. You can pull them off with your hands quite easily so while I was riding I lost all 3 of them. Fortunately, I had zip ties and electrical tape to keep myself riding. The brake clips are fine but the others are worthless. So zip ties it is.

MC MasterShake
    Interesting cable routing. Are you going to stick with that? I think I may have to copy you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Interesting cable routing. Are you going to stick with that? I think I may have to copy you.
    Yup, I'm keeping it this way - SuMo style! If the cables were routed through the braze-ons, they would slide back and forth with articulation, eventually wearing through the alu(someone has already experienced this). Same exact problem with the XS Motolite.

The "Problem Solvers" stick-on guides are great on the down tube, making for a nice, neat package. I've also installed the Lizzard Skins decal type protectors on the seat stays where the cables intersect, and I think we're all good!

I've found an "issue" with the X-Gen der: when it was set up "textbook", the chain stay hit it on deep articulation, marring the powder coat. I raised it as much as I could, then took a dremmel to it, shaving off about 2mm from the inside "lip". It's great now!

On the cosmetic side, I swapped bash guards w/ the one on my lady's ML - hers has silver - adds nicely to bling factor. I've spent so much more time in the 36 ring now that I'm considering a big ring on this bike!