Thread: El Guapo???

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well El Guapo???

I don't currently own a Titus but that could change, as I really like the looks of Titus' new 2007 trailbike

The new Titus trailbike.

and

2007 Titus "trailbike"

One of the posts stated that the name for the new bike was going to be "El Guapo". Curious, I emailed my neighbor who teaches Spanish at the local highschool. Her reply:

"Guapo = good looking/handsome, referring to a man because it's ending is "o" which masculine adjectives do. So it literally means "the handsome one"."

Okay, maybe its just me (and the two other mtb-ers that I've asked) but this just doesn't strike me as a particularly great name for a schamokin-hot trailbike. Even the Spanish teacher (who sees me coming and going with mountain bikes on the roof rack and has some understanding of what it is we do) didn't think it was a very good name.

Don't want to start a flame-war, and I would buy the bike anyway, no matter what the name. Also, I kind of thought that Spanish-names was the Ventana hallmark.

Anyway, I just thought that if anyone was interested they should know what "El Guapo" meant, and if they think that El Guapo = El Guano, then maybe some calls/emails to Titus would be a good idea, probably sooner rather than later.

-Raynman59

ಠ_ಠ
    Just a temporary name so they have something. I'm sure it will be ok.

I suspect it will have Moto somewhere in the name.

Buck-60 was also being mentioned. Personally I liked it.

Trophy Husband

Plethora...Do you know what Plethora means?

Personally, I like the idea that they decided to name it after a character in "The Three Amigos." It's a hilarious movie and the name just sails off the tongue. El Guapo. I like it.

I also have the bike on my watch list. The most recent geometry numbers I've seen are what I'm looking for in a trail-bike...suits my taste more than the XC motolite. But that's just me.

I'm very much looking at purchasing one.
    Extreme stationary biker.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by raynman59
    Don't want to start a flame-war, and I would buy the bike anyway, no matter what the name. Also, I kind of thought that Spanish-names was the Ventana hallmark.

Anyway, I just thought that if anyone was interested they should know what "El Guapo" meant, and if they think that El Guapo = El Guano, then maybe some calls/emails to Titus would be a good idea, probably sooner rather than later.
    -Raynman59
    IFIRC, "El Guapo" is a Chevy Chase quote from one of the "Fletch" movies- he was always making up fake names for himself and I think "El Guapo" was one of them. But I might be wrong.

Personally I like it! I do like it better than buck60, which is too much like "6-pack" for my taste (and I think 6-pack was kind of lame too).

The frame does look hot.

Do It Yourself
    I figured it was someone with a sense of humor and a Three Amigos reference:

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...9&trkid=174833
    Long Live Long Rides

thats right living legend

I REALLY Want One!

When I bought my ML I intended to have it for a long time. Then I rode it, and decided I wanted to keep it forever.

And nothings changed, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to get one, and keep the Lite-Moto. But I still don't have much trouble running the Moto through over or around anything yet so... I'll just have to go out, and find it's limit, so I'll have an excuse.

Somehow without breaking my face, of course...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Now I get it...

Okay, the references to "The Three Amigos" and "Fletch" make much more sense.

I was taking the word at the literal translation.

-Raynman59

Who's that guy?
    I am not sure they actually can use the name 'El Guapo' for the final bike. Electra already has a bike with that name and even though its a different style, it's still a bike with that name.

So, like dulyebr said, its probably just a temp one.

...Unless they got permission to use the name, in which case you should just ignore my post.
    [SIZE=2]
    Slow and steady gets you...7th place.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"Hey! Where is everybody going??"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    el guapo was also the name of the bad guy in the movie "The three amigos". Steve Martin, chevy chase, and martin short. Funny movie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    When I bought my ML I intended to have it for a long time. Then I rode it, and decided I wanted to keep it forever.

And nothings changed, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to get one, and keep the Lite-Moto. But I still don't have much trouble running the Moto through over or around anything yet so... I'll just have to go out, and find it's limit, so I'll have an excuse.

Somehow without breaking my face, of course...
    In the same boat. Luckily, the whole point is moot for me, because I'm dead broke from going out and breaking my face (and hand) trying to find the limits of my Moto-Lite. Babyhead versus mouth... I bought a full-face helmet for when I can ride again in three months or so.

On topic: Buck60, El Guapo, Moto-something.... I don't care. They could name it "Bike" and I'd still want it.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Severe/Daring/Brave

My Spanish dictionary offers these alternative translations:
    Angry, brawler, quarreler, bully, good-looking, showy, severe, daring, brave.
    The waiter at Fiesta Charro where the mt. bikers here eat said it was a Don Juan.

mtbr member
    You need to rent the three amigos. Definatly a better name than Nomad, 6.6, or Moment

"Its All Good"
    I'm with suicider, if the name of a bike is going to put you off your purchase . Well my mind boggles as to whats happening inside......................... Most names are odd at first, then in a few days, its all good........................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Suicider
    In the same boat. Luckily, the whole point is moot for me, because I'm dead broke from going out and breaking my face (and hand) trying to find the limits of my Moto-Lite. Babyhead versus mouth... I bought a full-face helmet for when I can ride again in three months or so.

On topic: Buck60, El Guapo, Moto-something.... I don't care. They could name it "Bike" and I'd still want it.

You got me beat! Hope you heal up soon...

ಠ_ಠ

Cool-blue Rhythm

Man, I sorry to hear about your accident. I guess summer is the season for injuries...

I lost my front teeth about 10 years ago in a karate class accident. I hope you didn't lose any - it really f#@king sucks!

"Its All Good"

Heal safe, fast and well. I survived the weekend with no major off's, fluke not good management............

Go hard with the arnica, it is fantastic, trust me on this one, thousands wouldnt, but seriously the stuff is brilliant.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Oh, and what kind of FF helmet did you go for?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the well wishes guys. If all goes well with the healing I should be able to start doing some light riding, like commuting to work on 5 inches of Titus squish, toward the end of August (wrecked June 10th... bah). Hard riding is probably at least six months out. Fracture + complex dislocation of my left 5th metacarpal...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Oh, and what kind of FF helmet did you go for?
    Grabbed the Bell Bellistic. Beats the hell out of all the dental stuff (mostly covered by insurance) and the orthodontic work ($5k after insurance... doh). I don't want any repeats!