mtbr member
    May 2008

El Guapo with 150 mm fork ???

Looks like, that everyone has build El Guapo MK3 with 160 mm or 170 mm fork
    and even some hard core riders with 180 mm forks.

I have understood, that given geometry figures 67 ha, 71,5 sa, 13.6 inch bb height are with 160 mm fork with normal external head set. So If I build El Guapo with Rock shox 150 mm fork these angles will steepen and bb height lower. But how how much. ?
    Has some build EG mk3 with 150 mm fork ? Is bb too low and head angle more like
    xc bike than am bike ?

Outcast
    127, you want to build up your EG with a 150mm travel fork because:

You already have the fork?
    You wany xc geometry?
    It is what you want to do?

In my opinion, if you are talking about a fork like a rock shox revelation, you are underforked. It is not enough fork for the bike, and you will feel it every meter that you ride. It is not the right fork for the bike, for several reasons. You will most likely NOT be happy with it.
    If it was a big, stiff, good performing fork that was a 150mm fork [ like a lyrik, fox 36 x-fusion, tec. fork reduced to 150mm], then I would suggest using an angleset headset, and make your bike slacker to acommodate the fork.
    So please, so we can help you better, what fork are you thinking of?

mtbr member
    Yeah, it will steepen your head angle about one degree and lower your bottom bracket about a 1/4", it also will steepen your seat angle a bit too. If you are looking for an XC/Trail bike feel then a 150mm fork might work for you. But the true brilliance of the El Guapo comes alive when you put a 160/170mm fork on it, then it turns into an All Mountain machine. All depends on the intended use.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thank you for your advices.

The reason why I asked this, is the money. I can get new Rock Shox Revalation 150 mm fork nearly half price, that Rock shox Lyrik costs. I if get El Guapo, I will build It with 160 mm fork, because I don't like to loose the real nature of El Guapo .

Plääh and now there is no bargain frames left.
    Last edited by 127; 08-08-2012 at 10:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    127, you want to build up your EG with a 150mm travel fork because:

You already have the fork?
    You wany xc geometry?
    It is what you want to do?

In my opinion, if you are talking about a fork like a rock shox revelation, you are underforked. It is not enough fork for the bike, and you will feel it every meter that you ride. It is not the right fork for the bike, for several reasons. You will most likely NOT be happy with it.
    If it was a big, stiff, good performing fork that was a 150mm fork [ like a lyrik, fox 36 x-fusion, tec. fork reduced to 150mm], then I would suggest using an angleset headset, and make your bike slacker to acommodate the fork.
    So please, so we can help you better, what fork are you thinking of?
    I don't agree at all.
    I've spent a lot of time on the EG with a Fox 36 and RS Revelations. I have two bikes - both of which HAD 36mm Fox's on them and both have been replaced with 32/150 forks for the better. I have a Marz 44 on one and a Revelation on the other. I am an ex downhiller - now racing the State All Mtn series (and leading). So I know how to ride and I how how to ride hard. IMO, the 32mm for has huge benefits unless you are riding really hard and really fast on really gnarly terrain. On anything less I feel you gain more going smaller than you loose. Here's why:

With the 32 you loose weight (with a Rev you can loose 350+grams depending on the model). With a slackset to correct the geometry, the headangle is spot on. You get the added benefit of a lower front end (less wander on climbs which is contrary to what most people think about slackening head angles), steeper seat tube (better pedaling) and a lower BB (better cornering).

I know my times on both local very tech / rocky loops as well as DH runs on a proper DH track. I have given away NO time since going smaller on the DH's and have definitely gained time on the AM loop.

I really rate both the Rev 150mm and the Marz 44. Both as stiff and plush and light(ish).

Don't hesitate to go 150mm WITH a slackset.

mtbr member
    It looks that you have a point.

Some times we get carried away by the pros or by advertisements and believe that bigger is always better. Well it is but if you are racing in the UCI DH world cup...
    For all of us that we do all mountain rides maybe it is an exaggeration... And look how's talking... I just finished my first El Guapo (my first FS) and put an 170mm Marz 35mm!
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    I don't agree at all.
    I've spent a lot of time on the EG with a Fox 36 and RS Revelations. I have two bikes - both of which HAD 36mm Fox's on them and both have been replaced with 32/150 forks for the better. I have a Marz 44 on one and a Revelation on the other. I am an ex downhiller - now racing the State All Mtn series (and leading). So I know how to ride and I how how to ride hard. IMO, the 32mm for has huge benefits unless you are riding really hard and really fast on really gnarly terrain. On anything less I feel you gain more going smaller than you loose. Here's why:

With the 32 you loose weight (with a Rev you can loose 350+grams depending on the model). With a slackset to correct the geometry, the headangle is spot on. You get the added benefit of a lower front end (less wander on climbs which is contrary to what most people think about slackening head angles), steeper seat tube (better pedaling) and a lower BB (better cornering).

I know my times on both local very tech / rocky loops as well as DH runs on a proper DH track. I have given away NO time since going smaller on the DH's and have definitely gained time on the AM loop.

I really rate both the Rev 150mm and the Marz 44. Both as stiff and plush and light(ish).

Don't hesitate to go 150mm WITH a slackset.
    Yes, and Brian Lopes can kick my ass with him on a tricycle, me on the bike of my choice on any dh course. You are an experienced dh rider, and you can milk the best out of any piece of equipment you have. I have a hard time believing that the revelation is as stiff as a 35 or 36mm fork; I have swapped out my pikes and lyriks numerous times on both of my bikes and yes, sure, I can ride either, but I choose the lyrik as it's stiffer, with better damping. IMO, the el guapo warrants a stiffer fork, and I will take the weight penalty anyday.
    We have different opinions; neither of them are wrong.

mtbr member
    IMO, the el guapo warrants a stiffer fork, and I will take the weight penalty anyday.
    We have different opinions; neither of them are wrong.
    Copy that, repost it and put my name to the left of it. I am on the other end of the spectrum and run a fork that is "too big" for the EG and prefer that over a lower fork or less travel.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yesterday my riding buddy let me test properly (3 h) his new EL Guapo mk3 with Rock Shox Sektor fork (150mm). The bb is really low. I hit several times cranks and taco to ground and rocks, but I could live with that. For me the low bb is only really nasty, when climping rock stairs. The taco hits always hard to edge of stair and the sound was nasty. Perhaps for rider with better skills this is not a problem. Otherwise EG was nice bike, but I would build it only with 160 mm fork, even it doesn't lift bb much. I will keep my Turner 5 spot (2009) with higher bb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm also running an EG v2 with a Fox 32 150mm RL and a 2 Degree slackset.

I've not yet caught my LG1/crank on anything but I've had a few pedal strikes.
    I'm probably looking to get some Marz 55 RC3 170mm to make it more AM capable.