NOT Team Sanchez

EG's are gettin' scarce, and I'm getting scared....

My 08's still going strong, I just switched parts off my SuMo back onto to it following a trip to Moab, however I'm looking to backup my 08 with another one. I have been looking for a size large EG for sale for the past few months with little luck; I have scrutinized many other similar offerings and cannot find a better bike, thus I'd like to put out the word here on the Titus forum that I'm on the hunt for a size Large EG frame, preferably an 08 or 09 as they're the beefier incantations. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Allen
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    There are a few larges on Pinkbike as complete bikes, think they are all 2010's. I think the 2010 rear is every bit as stiff as the 08/09's. For your size and riding, have you considered picking up a used Knolly Delirium T? Its one step up from an EG but twice as bombproof.

NOT Team Sanchez
    hmmmm, the Knolly's an interesting idea........
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    I think the Knolly is the next step up the ladder, its slacker and definitely more burly then the EG.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Knolly's seem to be too heavy, and the DT sports more travel and is slacker than I want.....yes I'm picky, and yes I have odd demands; 8lb frame, 6'' of travel, and 67-68 degree head angle. The Ventana Terremoto's looking pretty tasty although whilst in Moab I was able to check out the Ibis Mojo HD, which now has me very intrigued.
    I like bikes.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Tomac Vanish 160
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    Knolly's seem to be too heavy, and the DT sports more travel and is slacker than I want.....yes I'm picky, and yes I have odd demands; 8lb frame, 6'' of travel, and 67-68 degree head angle. The Ventana Terremoto's looking pretty tasty although whilst in Moab I was able to check out the Ibis Mojo HD, which now has me very intrigued.
    You've just described the Knolly Chilcotin (frame should be in the 7.5Lb range, travel 150-160mm, HA 66.5 -67.5 adjustable)..... although they won't be out for a few months yet... and they'll be pricey $2200-$2400 is my guess.

I rode a Mojo HD around the lot at OTE hurricane a couple months ago and was really impressed too. I'd have to get it up on Gooseberry, Grafton, Zen, and Barrels to see how it is in real terrain though. So light and responsive. Wow.

I think you'd break it like a twig.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.

"El Whatever"
    Sounds like a used Nicolai AM...

I don't think you'll break an EG front tri ever. Try to get a spare rear end, bearings and main pivot. Best thing to avoid a break is to have a spare
    Check my Site

NOT Team Sanchez
    I agree Warp, and Krob. The trouble with me is that I was raised to love a great deal, but this approach to life leaves me often discontented; I need to drop the money necessary to have what I'd like as opposed to living on the margins buying up used frames and so on. Don't get me wrong, I love my SuMo, but it's more freeridey than I'd like, however I'm going to hang on to it. The Knolly, and Nicolai both exceed my budget in a manner similar to how our government exceeds their own budget; now if I could print money You'll all laugh at me, but I picked up a Chumba Evo that I'm going to modify to suit my eccentric wishes. I'm still looking for an elusive late model EG, but the Evo should prove interesting as dropping a 7.5x2 into the frame, it normally takes a 7.875x2.25, and yes that's a much higher leverage ratio than the Guap', will give me numbers like so: 67 degree head angle, just under a 14'' bottom bracket, 5.7'' of travel, and with a weight similar to that of an 08 EG. I'll post up my thoughts and comparisons with y'all when I get everything together.

Do you really think I'd snap the Ibis, I'm pretty smooth for a clyde after all
    Last edited by wasea04; 06-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    Do you really think I'd snap the Ibis, I'm pretty smooth for a clyde after all
    You are very smooth..... but you do go BIG....and I'm not talkin' about your size! Just stokin' the carbonphopia fire alittle.

If it was in my budget I'd have been seriously looking at an Mojo HD.

FWIW... I really liked the Chumba EVO I rode at I-bike a few years back. Very El Guapo feeling.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-01-2011 at 01:45 PM.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I was just teasing too Kent, El C has convinced me of carbon's capabilities on his carbon nomad. I agree with you on the price of the Ibis' although considering what you're getting they're very well priced, but the price is still out of my reach. The yellow HD's are absolutely gorgeous!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds every bit like a Nicolai Helius AM!

mtbr member
    Cant say I liked the EVO at Interbike, center of gravity felt very high.

NOT Team Sanchez

Raw

Here's the Evo, still waiting on the shorter i2i dhx coil, so I stripped the paint and sanded it in the meantime. I'm riding my EG currently, what an amazing bike, hope this steed can be half that bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EG's are gettin' scarce, and I'm getting scared....-chumba.jpg  

I like bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yuck, that thing looks fugly. Can't believe you went from the sexy curves of the Guapo to that.

mtbr member
    I think you will be lucky if it is half the bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l View Post
    Yuck, that thing looks fugly. Can't believe you went from the sexy curves of the Guapo to that.
    Yeah, the EVO was never much to look at (kinda like you drove into the garage with your bike on the roof, LOL), but I thought it rode pretty nice.

Wasea loves to pick over the scrap heap of unique old bikes looking for the gems. Nothing wrong with that...... and I don't think he said anything about getting rid of the Handsome One.

NOT Team Sanchez

The hansome one's adopted brother; an ugly duckling, but a swan where it counts.

Don't despair Titus bretheren, The EG remains unscathed. I cannibalized another bike to make this build happen. I threw my Marz 4x off my hard tail on to see how it'd perform as a kind of slope style bike, and thus far it's has handled by backyard quarter-pipe with aplomb. With the shorter i2i shock and Marz 4x the bb height is 13.4'', which should translate into just over 14'' with my Kowa 160. The current head angle is something like 68-69 degrees, but for what I'm doing with on it right now it'll be fine, the AMA should be awesome aboard it methinks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EG's are gettin' scarce, and I'm getting scared....-chumba-slst.jpg  

I like bikes.

mtbr member
    A higher front end with the Kowa would just about get it all set and ready to roll