WP Local

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Eggbeater advice?

I got frustarted yesterday on a steep, technical climb when I couldn't get clipped back into my SPD's... Killed my energy trying to pedal with one foot and get clipped in with the other. This isn't the first time I have had this problem...

Soooooo.....I purchased a pair of Eggbeater SL on sierratradingpost because I have always heard that these were the EASIEST to get into....

Sooooo also being somewhat of an impulsive dumba$$, I am researching the purchase after the fact.....I have been reading that some folks have float issues with the eggbeaters and one person described it like "being on an ice sheet".

Curious as to some of your opions and advice on these pedals.

I am on an 06 Medium Motolite (I can't believe how much I enjoy this bike!!!!), and mostly do XC riding with occassional lift access downhills.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I also recently switched from Shimano 959's to eggbeater 2 ti's They are a bit more floaty. You have to be sure that you put the right cleat on each shoe depending on your taste (one cleat has two dots on it). Each position offers different release points. I had to use the shims under the cleats to clear the bottom of the shoe. I love the eggbeaters.

Eyes:blue. Knuckles:white
    Quote Originally Posted by WP Local
    I got frustarted yesterday on a steep, technical climb when I couldn't get clipped back into my SPD's... Killed my energy trying to pedal with one foot and get clipped in with the other. This isn't the first time I have had this problem...

Soooooo.....I purchased a pair of Eggbeater SL on sierratradingpost because I have always heard that these were the EASIEST to get into....

Sooooo also being somewhat of an impulsive dumba$$, I am researching the purchase after the fact.....I have been reading that some folks have float issues with the eggbeaters and one person described it like "being on an ice sheet".

Curious as to some of your opions and advice on these pedals.

I am on an 06 Medium Motolite (I can't believe how much I enjoy this bike!!!!), and mostly do XC riding with occassional lift access downhills.
    Dude...

this experience echoes my own somewhat. I too made an impulsive purchase of SL EBs, but for different reasons - and probably less valid. I wanted to save a bit of weight over my old, battered Time ATAC Aliums and to get a bit of a "sleeker" look to my ML. Eggbeaters certainly fit the bill, but I'm just not all that convinced over them after about 4 months.

They are easy to clip into and they never clog with mud. Same could be said of Time ATACs. The problem is with float and release. EBs just don't feel that they hold your feet very securely and I have had some alarming instances of my feet releasing on sketchy downhills. I fitted the shims which are provided and this helped a bit, but I still feel a bit insecure with them. My current shoes have a groove worn in them by the retention bar, but this was the same for the ATACs and it was NEVER a problem with them.

I do think the EB SLs are a good pedal and they score highly in many respects, but I'm wary about the release issue. Perhaps new shoes would solve the problem.

BTW - Time ATACs are my pedal of choice and I'll probably re-fit them for my upcoming trip to Spain...

mtbr member
    This is only a hunch but I think the type of shoe has more to do with how easy they are to get into. I've never had any problem with getting out of them or with them releasing unintended. Much better than SPD's in the mud. I've heard the float is easier on the knees and my knees don't hurt.
    I'm not broke but you can see the cracks.

Rick’s Law Of Biking...
    At least two uphills are required for every downhill.

Truth...
    I work to survive, I play to live.

Mind, Body, Spirit...,which one is keeping you from getting better?

ಠ_ಠ
    I had Candy's for about a year. I liked them, but I often wasn't sure if I was actually clicked in or not. They were very easy to click out of though. I finally gave up on them as I was getting a hot spot on the outside of my right knee.

I'm on Time Atacs right now and I like them a lot.

mtbr member

Same problem on sketchy terrain!

I have the same problem . . . my Eggbeaters release really easily on sketchy terrain. Today I pulled into a manual to clear a bunch of half-buried logs but the eggbeaters prematurely ejectulated my cleat under the load. Needless to say I bagged myself on the seat and chaffed my arse on the rear tire before crashing into the dirt. Not impressed. Last week I hit a little 2-1/2' drop to flat and the eggbeaters unexpectedly released with similar results.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I like the ease of release in tough jams but this unexpected release is trouble waiting to happen.

WP Local
    Well, I should get these in this week.... I'm kind of worried now, I will try them out for a week or so in the Winter Park area (CO.), and see how they feel... I have a trip to Moab the weekend of Sept 8 and need to have something dialed in by then... worse comes to worse I'll bring my old pedals with me.

Seems like folks have either a love affair with these or hate 'em...

If they don't work for me then I'll dump them on Ebay....

mtbr member
    the eggies are SO MUCH EASIER to get into and out of, that the additional float is meaningless. you just get used to it like many things when changing from one system to another. it's not bad just different. it's only been a few rides and i barely even notice it anymore

mtbr member

Eggbeaters, silky smooth!

I have ridden Eggbeaters since they first became available back in 01ish'. I can't ever see myself going back to SPD's but that is strictly based on personal preference. While many would argue that the Eggbeaters are in fact easier to engage I think the critical factor is how they engage v. SPD's. SPD's might feel like they take a little more effort to clip in but the biggest difference is the distinct clicking engagement that SPD's make once you're in. Eggbeaters don't ever have that positive engagement; they just seem to clip in almost seemlessly I prefer the silky smooth feel of the Eggbeaters but I don't think it's necessarily easier than SPD's. Most of my riding buddies prefer the positive engagement that SPD's make though so it's all preference. I always encourage people to try the Eggbeaters...

WP Local

Update

My $0.02
    Two rides so far on the eggbeaters, about 7 miles each with some nice technical climbs. I am happy to report that I like them (I was really scared reading some of the reviews!).

There is a lot of float... this is OK. I actually think that these pedals help to promote a smooth circular pedal stroke.

I did take the advice given above and put the "2-dot" cleat on the left shoe so that there is more effort required to release... again this feels fine, so I will leave it. I did not use the included shims because they raise my shoe too far off the pedal.

These are VERY easy to get into... I mean reallly easy.....

I am taking these to Moab next week and will report back if I suddenly think they stink....

mtbr member
    one more thing about the float that i have not seen anyone touch on. i think the additional float allows the pedals to accomodate a much larger range of body types and physiological variances. say for example someone with a slight pigeon toe or maybe another person with toes that turn more outward. having the additional float eliminates the joint wear and pain that some people have using other pedals that more or less lock you into a specific position.

mtbr member

Early release??

I came off of Time ATACS to Egg Beaters when they first came out many years ago. I can probably count how many times my feet came unclipped unintentionall on one hand.
    In fact, my cleats were so worn out that I could barely tell I was clipping in (cleats were 2 1/2 years old) and I still had no unintentional releasing.....bunny hopping - logs, racing, your normal riding stuff. Just replaced my cleats and new shoes and had a small break in period getting clipped back in as it was "stiff". Took about 3-3 rides and back to normal - with no issues at all.

Many of my friends have switched back to ATACS because they have all broken EB during races so they wanted a more durable pedal.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave99
    I have the same problem . . . my Eggbeaters release really easily on sketchy terrain. Today I pulled into a manual to clear a bunch of half-buried logs but the eggbeaters prematurely ejectulated my cleat under the load. Needless to say I bagged myself on the seat and chaffed my arse on the rear tire before crashing into the dirt. Not impressed. Last week I hit a little 2-1/2' drop to flat and the eggbeaters unexpectedly released with similar results.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I like the ease of release in tough jams but this unexpected release is trouble waiting to happen.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005

Eggbeaters Ok.

I changed from SPD to EB years ago. And I feel good about it. Easier to clip in, easier to clip out, and far better on the mud. My only complaint is faster wearing on cleats. Unexpected release? I havenīt suffered it.

One last comment: at first I tried the candy version, but now I have Triple Ti's. I don't miss the platform. Eggbeaters are the way to go!
    EnRodadera
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had the SL EB and I hated them. They are usually good in dry conditions but once you walk in the mud, they are hard to clip in and worst hard to clip out (I fell several times because of that). I tried the Xpedo Magnesium and I loved them, they are adjustable (I like the lightest setting), easier to clip in, clip out, and work ok if you have mud on your cleats. Even better, cheaper and same weight. I heard they are less reliable however
    Last edited by joff; 09-01-2006 at 12:17 PM.

WP Local
    Another day and another ride....

These are good pedals..... I completely understand folks who don't like the float. I seem to like the mobility and security.... Like I said before.... I'll write back if they suck in Moab

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WP Local
    Another day and another ride....

These are good pedals..... I completely understand folks who don't like the float. I seem to like the mobility and security.... Like I said before.... I'll write back if they suck in Moab
    enjoy Moab, but i won't be holding my breath waiting for your pedal report, i already know they rock even if you think they suck

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think you will like the Eggbeaters. The only time I have had them release unexpectedly is when I hit them on something (like a rock, log, whatever). I have also used Times which I liked just about as much (I think they may be a tiny bit easier to get into), but I had problems with breaking the plastic housing and wires on rocks so I tried the Eggbeaters. I don't ride near as much technical stuff as I used to so I can't make a valid comparison for wear and tear vs the Times, but so far I have had no issues with breakage. As for wear, for me the cleats wear at the point where the outside tabs of the cleat contact the axle. When they get worn it can cause your foot to rattle around a bit in the pedal but they still hold. It doesn't bother me, but I can understand if somebody doesn't like that.

Oh yeah, if you've never done Fruita, make sure you stop there on your trip to Moab.

mtbr member
    I have eggbeater sl on my road bike and I've had candies on my MT bike. I kept breaking the plastic platform of the candies so I upgraded to mallets. I like 'em. They do have a lot of float but I'm used to it.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    IMO eggbeaters are easy to get into and out of and they don't clog with mud. I've been using them since they were available in the UK after using Shimano and then Time ATAC. I think that the basic design idea is great.

My problem with them is that the bearings are terrible. I have got steel, Ti and Candys and none of them have bearings that last more than a year. The last straw was when my Ti totally broke during a 100km enduro last weekend.

Yes they can be rebuilt fairly easily but the bearing life is very poor compared to competitors products so the costs can rise quite quickly.

I guess that's the price you pay for the light weight.

Your Imaginary Friend
    I've been riding Egg Beaters exclusively since '02 and I absolutely love them! The main reason I switched was because the Shimano pedals always had a difficult release and almost zero float (I like a descent amount of float).

The one thing I don't see anyone addressing here is the fact that the quick release from EBs over technical terrain can occur after the cleats start to wear down. EB cleats are notoriously soft (this helps with the easy engagement and lengthens the life of the pedal but means you'll go through cleats pretty quickly) so, as they wear, they naturally pop out far easier than when they're brand new.

EB's are great though and a far less expensive than the Atacs (not disparaging the Atacs, just making a point) of comparable weight.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

WP Local

Couldn't clip out!!!

So I'm back from Moab and the Eggbeaters didn't work as well as I had hoped in that terrain...

On climbs in Slickrock, the steep faces were you have to give it your all.... I couldn't clip out.... this happenned CONSTANTLY, I ended up falling to the side and taking the bike down the rock face with me this also ened up making me WAY more timid and I ended up not trying to clear some climbs that I should have been able to do.

I did Porcupine Rim the next day... On the climb, I had the same issue on the technical parts. On the downhill the eggbeaters felt secure.

I moved the cleats so that the "2-dot" cleat was on the Right foot. This didn't help much.

I haven't had this issue in the Rockies, but the climbs are not as hard and I don't find myself digging as deep for that last turn like I did in Moab.

Not sure what to do now.... I did liked them, but now my confidance in the is shot

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you find that the wings are wearing grooves into your shoe bases, you need to install spacers between the cleat and the shoe. This way most of the force of your weight is on the spindle. If it's on the wings, that opens them up a bit, which makes it easier for your foot to pop out.

I've never had a problem clipping out on mine. I don't even think about it; I can get my foot out and tap obstacles on techie parts just as naturally as if I were riding flat pedals.

WP Local
    Good idea, I'll try the spacers...

I was sooo glad I had protective gear on this weekend, when I couldn't clip out it saved my but!

mtbr member
    you can switch the cleats to give you a smaller clip-out angle, it's in the directions somewhere. i went that route and i can clip out in a snap.

also, you need to break in the pedals a little more, they get easier to clip in and out after they are slightly worn

N8!
    mtbr member
    I've been using Eggies since they were introduced with ZERO issues...

Best pedal ever.