mtbr member
    Sep 2010

EG V2 Fork Swap 150mm to 170mm

So i'm running my EG with a Fox 32 150mm rl and a -2degree slackset.
    I'm wanting to ride harder this coming year , do a few uplift days and probably an enduro at some point.

SO I'm considering a Maz 55 rc3 ti or a X Fusion Vengeance HLR both 170mm.

I currently like the way the bike rides in terms of Head angle (I think 66degrees), but not sure if i should get either fork with 1/18th headtube and keep the slackset or get one with a tapered tube and fit an tapered headset.

Anyone have any idea what Head angle I'll end up with a -2 slackset and a 170mm fork.
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that another 20mm will make it slacker by -1degrees.

So will i ruin it and will it wallow on climbs ?

mtbr member
    if u like the current head angle you might want to "un"slack the headset by turning it steeper or change to a normal headset. This is basing on the A-C for for the X-fusion 170. never use the Mar so can't comment.

You can definitely feel the diff vs 160mm forks, so it would be even more pronounced compared to a 150 u have now...

Frankly I find its not so much about the ~1 degree or so diff. The front is now further out, ie longer wheelbase which was what I had to adjust to rather than the HA change itself.

Either u like or u dont depending on riding style.... I like mine, just minor adjustment to bodyweight shift (more forward) when railing tight corners as steering on the slightly longer front feels a tad retarded otherwise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cheers for thant.
    Ok so next question, 1/18th stearer or tapered with a bigger fork ?

mtbr member
    If I had a 32 on my eg I think I would have hated the bike. After being on a 32mm fork again I'm not digging my new ride.

I think the 36 float was built just for the EG. But, they come at a price. Best bet is to watch ebay. If you can get a 2010 for 300$ it's worth it. New uppers are less than 200$ And the rest is fluids and seals if it needs it.

I would also go for the taper steerer.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirepadd View Post
    Cheers for thant.
    Ok so next question, 1/18th stearer or tapered with a bigger fork ?
    Would say taper would is the way to go if its a 1-fork-1-bike setup. Only catch is if u ever find the total height underneath the headtube is a tad too long and want to shorten, u can't run a zero stack lower cup to do that. But with the short HT of the EG... that's hardly ever a concern.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    X3- taper 36.. 160mm.. external cup
    İ

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by deerhill View Post
    x3- taper 36.. 160mm.. External cup
    x3 ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Some food for thought here, cheers all.

Might have issues with another headset as my frame is a V2 so it might not been reamed, the on-one shop fitted my slackset for me.

I'll try and drop them a line as I assume they will have a reaming tool ?

Let the good times roll.
    I don't care much for tapered forks. Keeping max options open for different headsets matters more (to me) than a small increase in stiffness.

Might as well try the slackset since you already have it. My bike is a V2 with slackset and 170mm Vengeance. I shortened the fork to 160mm for a few weeks out of curiosity, but now I'm back to 170mm with the handlebars about 20mm lower than before. I'm still in the process of fine tuning to decide what is best for me. Each travel setting has its pros/cons. BTW, 170mm Vengenace is pretty close to 180mm in both travel and a2c.

For your questions on 170mm + slackset...
    - iPhone says my HA is 65.5 degrees
    - Climbing is acceptable, but I have to get pretty low over the stem on steep stuff. It's not front wheel wander that slows me down so much as bob from the super plush travel.
    - Basically, you'll get a very downhill-friendly geo that's still decent for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

agree w/ anvil_den and terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirepadd View Post
    x3 ?
    = times 3

I'm on the larger end of the spectrum so the 36mm & wider bottom bearing in the 1.5" makes sense..

I feel, for all around performance and balance ((up and down)) people will find the bike/suspension handles best with lowest stack above head tube as possible, with controls just above hitting top tube when the bars come around
    İ

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just ordered a Vengeance HLR 170 1/18th and also picked up a set of Flow Ex on Hope pro 2 evo at bargin price. Will post some pics when I've got it all setup.
    Last edited by Yorkshirepadd; 01-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So They've sent me an X Fusion Vengeance HLR DLA instead of the Normal HLR fork !

Is the DLA version as good ?
    I've heard a few bad things about it perminantly losing the 30mm of travel after hard riding and sitting at 140mm rather than 170mm.

What would you guys do if it where you ?

"EDIT" They're going back, I don't want the DLA version.
    I wanted the 170mm too see how the bike handled and if its to slow, they'll be adjusted to 160mm.
    Last edited by Yorkshirepadd; 01-17-2013 at 09:29 AM.