mtbr member
    Jul 2007

EG v2, 150 fork to 160 fork

I have been running a 150 Sektor on my v2 EG since I built it up a few months back. I was floored at how well the bike climbed... just floored. I could clear stuff that I was never able to in the past. Was running it with the smoothie mixer headset and the HTA came in right about 68 deg according to a few different phone apps.

Today I tossed on a Lyrik. I've been missing my Lyrik ever since I sold off the Nomad to buy the EG. Would've kept it but it had a 1.5 steer. Anyway, went out on a shake down ride today to check everything out. Being about 200 lb RTR I am able to tell a fairly significant difference in stiffness between the Sektor and the Lyrik. The bigger fork just holds a line so much better, especially when it want to be deflected from off-camber rocks and roots.

Anyway, when it came to the really steep climbs with a good amount of chunk in them I was not thrilled. I couldn't believe that such a small difference in a2c would cause the front to wander more and cause trouble keeping the front end planted. I actually had to bail on one climb cuz the front just kept popping no matter what I tried.

Not sure what I'll do. Am I nuts for thinking about going back to the Sektor?

mtbr member
    Dropping 1-2cm on the bar height assuming you still have spacers beneath stem and or shortening your overall reach slightly from bar to saddle.. can be a significant change like the A_C difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hey anvil, thanks for hopping in. I did space the stem at the stack height as it was with the Sektor. After my post I dropped another 5mm spacer and moved it on top of the stem. I also dropped the nose of the saddle slightly due to the decreased STA. I'll see if I can slide the saddle a few mm forward.

I was also thinking that the climbing might get better after the fork breaks in and starts to ride at normal sag without so much stiction. I thought that maybe the small bump compliance might not be there yet and instead of compressing with the terrain the fork might have been bouncing off it, causing the bike to lean back more during the climbs and not staying planted. I'll chime back in after a few more shakedown rides and some additional tweaks and let you know how it goes.

I hope I can get that old climbing trait back... would hate to not rock the Lyrik on this bike but the Sektor wasn't a total noodle so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

mtbr member
    You wheelie out f the saddle or you talking about seated? 160mm seems planted to me

Sounds like you're used to the sta with the Sektor.. maybe lower the lyric until it breaks in, probably need to check the o-rings/lube on it anyway
    Last edited by Deerhill; 10-13-2012 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, popping wheelies while seated. This is on climbs that are so steep that you'd lose traction if you tried to clmb out of the saddle in most cases. I could clear it before...

I think I'm going to play with stem height and go for another ride. Ill also be prepared to drop the stem further while on the trail. Worst case though, I'll pick up a lower cup set from Cane creek with zero stack and lose most o the added front end height that I gained from the lyrik.

Also, don't get me wrong about the purpose of this bike. I bought it to rip the downs but when I climb better with it than I do my MotoLite I was really proud of myself. Not often that I can out climb the Lycra crew.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dan, also forgot to mention that I could immediately feel the difference in BB/bike height moving to the Lyrik. It's a balancing act between that low slung feeling you get used to on the EG Coupled with the added ability to plough through the chunk with more control.

As soon as I sat on it I thought to myself, "wow, such a small change but so noticeable". Nothing like the Nomad with a 14.2" BB height.

mtbr member
    Think you had it right then, id move the saddle way forward untill you adjust. Maybe your shock is squatting more now with lyric compared to the shorter sektor?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    so, I ended up dropping my stem an extra 5 mm from what it was before, slid the saddle forward about 5 mm and took it out for a good pounding to break in the fork after removing lowers and packing the seals with slick honey. It climbed much better, didn't lift up on me and didn't wander nearly what it was doing on ride one.

thanks for the support guys. rock the El G!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    so, I ended up dropping my stem an extra 5 mm from what it was before, slid the saddle forward about 5 mm and took it out for a good pounding to break in the fork after removing lowers and packing the seals with slick honey. It climbed much better, didn't lift up on me and didn't wander nearly what it was doing on ride one.

thanks for the support guys. rock the El G!
    Try out a long straight bar on the climbs if u have one lying around. Love-hate affair
    Weird feeling but it does wonders for the ups. Not too bad for the descends as well.

Having my second straight bar setup now . This and a previous config with flat running longer stems makes the front end 160 feels as if the travel is lower... i reckon that's due to the ability to lean more weight and body over (since flat would also put bar height in a lower position relative to risers)... the feeling when climbing with 160 was a little like when I had a TALA dropped to 130 but running a riser but the front didn't feel so dumbed down...

Only drawback is I never feel quite as confident midair on a straight bar vs risers..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Might try one if I can find one to borrow. Otherwise, my current bar is only 15mm rise so not too bad.