mtbr member

New question here. EG spitting chain off, Guide suggestions?

Since I swapped my 2x10 onto my EG I can't get it to stop dropping the chain off of the big ring and onto the crank arm. I have the derailer set as low to the chain rings as it can go and the limits are set properly.

I was looking at an mrp bash gaurd (xcg) but since I can't keep the damn chain on I'm looking more at guides now. The mrp 2x seems like a good canditate and I was wondering if anyone is using them on their EG?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I have yet to purchase any sort of guide for my 1x9 and do drop the chain every so often. What I notice is it tends to happen over rough terrain at speed while not pedaling, the chain is whipped from the bottom up, over, and off the chain ring.

The C-guide that craigstr mentioned from Bionicon is what I'm after and bring this up as I believe this would do the trick for you running 2x10.

Bionicon USA C-Guide Chainguide

mtbr member
    I had a 2X, works great and has bash protection. If you dont need the bashguard, a Blackspire Stinger works just as good but is lighter and cheaper.

mtbr member
    Not sure if the bionicon would hold the chain on without a bashguard.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Not sure if the bionicon would hold the chain on without a bashguard.
    Could you elaborate, I plan to switch to a 2x set up and thought the Bionicon coupled with the front deraileur would be adequate for chain retention.

mtbr member
    I had a 26/39 setup last year and threw the chain off the big ring all the time, both the 2X and Stinger solved the problem. This year my XO cranks have the 24/38/Bash option, which by itself offers some chain retention. I've never run the Bionicon without the bash ring in place. With the bashring & Boinicon, I have never dropped the chain.

mtbr member
    Well I don't really want to do the bash ring style. I don't think they make one that will fit my el' cheapo x7 cranks without changing the spyder and rings.

How was the shifting with the 2x craig? Seems like it would make the transition from 1-2 slower with those bogie wheels.

mtbr member
    Never noticed any difference in shifting performance. Seamless.

U $ 4 O?
    Terrible you have long cage? medium cage and careful measuring works great

mtbr member
    yeah still rocking a long cage x7. If it was to bite the dust I was going to replace it with a mid cage. For now I dropped the front derailer as low as it can go and I'm going to take one link out of the chain and try that.

U $ 4 O?
    That's what I kept telling myself when I switched mine from the Moto. After two months on EG had to pick up x9 med, old x7's tough as nails compared to x9... medium capacity almost never drops the chain

mtbr member
    Yeah it's leftovers from my niner. I have another 10 speed D but it's also a long cage. Might just order a lower cage for it and swap it out. It's a little cheaper than buying a whole new D.

Paper or plastic?
    I have a Bionicon chain guide on the Carbine and it's worked pretty well so far. On my EG, I had a Heim 3 roller that worked very well.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun