mtbr member

EG is going race'n!!!

Got an email from snow shoe today

chomolungma challenge.

30k DH miles in a lap style event. August 25th. Got a XC race the next day for the wife so going to have to do some co-operation with her to make it happen. It's only 50$+/- so for the amount of runs I can get I think it's worth it. Now to decide witch EG to take, stinky or the pale horse..... old reliable or new and fast.....bigger and better or go-with-what-you-know......
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Got an email from snow shoe today

chomolungma challenge.

30k DH miles in a lap style event. August 25th. Got a XC race the next day for the wife so going to have to do some co-operation with her to make it happen. It's only 50$+/- so for the amount of runs I can get I think it's worth it. Now to decide witch EG to take, stinky or the pale horse..... old reliable or new and fast.....bigger and better or go-with-what-you-know......
    go with the new man...a good time to test/trial if the new one live up to the old legacy of EG

mtbr member
    got the ok from chief, help me out fellas....have another set of wheels, brakes, seat, post, bars. Seems like the only part I wouldn't be able to swap in a timely manner was the fork. The PH has a brand new totem so it gets the nod there. But still up in the air with choice on "frame"

mtbr member
    Go with the new, slacker HA. The Monarch is much more free flowing the the old RPoopy23, looks like you have larger rotors on the PH also?

mtbr member
    looks like you have larger rotors on the PH also?
    Yes but I will be bringing a spare set of wheels that is not propriatary to either bike. I plan to have two of everything I could break and still change.

Well since Craig is our reigning racer I am leaning toward the white V3. Any other opinions?

mtbr member
    Finished the race in 17th out of 50. It was alot of fun but my hands still aren't working 100%. My wrists really paid the price. Next time I'll be wearing some sort of wrist brace. No crashes and zero mechanical issues with the white v3.

Bike was setup with my vanR rear shock with a 400lb steel spring. The susupension was good. Only thing I could ask for would have been more travel and a coil fork but I was racing a multi-lap DH race, not something the EG was really meant to do but it pulled through just fine.

Front tire was a specialized purgatory control 2.4 and the rear was a 2.3 control. The rear could have stood some more straight faced knobs for braking in the loose but they roll great and feal really good on the large berms and smoother stuff.

The hope tech/x2 brakes held up great. Running a 208 front and 185 rear magura storm rotors. I am very suprized at the life left in my pads. Even turned the rear rotor purple in spots

Would have liked to have had some hybrid type pedals (flat/spd combined) like the crank brothers mallets but didn't want to spend the 70$ for one use. My CB candy 2's where good enough for a dry day.

My grips have got to be bigger if I do anymore enduro races too.

If I was to do more DH type stuff I would buy a chain guide as well. I dropped my chain a few times but that was with a standard triple on the front. I think I will look into something to convert my 3x9 to a 2x9 with some kind of bash gaurd ring and double guide. The brown EG has a 2x9 with a ring and works good for hard xc rides but the beating on the full DH stuff makes it hard to hold the chain on and get a good shift.

All and all I think it was good time. Not a single issue with another rider at all. Every one was really nice and the racers passed well and let others pass without issue.

Don't really have any actions pics but I'm sure they will post some up eventually. They had some pro photo guys up and down the hill all day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Get those pics

If I was to do more DH type stuff I would buy a chain guide as well. I dropped my chain a few times but that was with a standard triple on the front. I think I will look into something to convert my 3x9 to a 2x9 with some kind of bash gaurd ring and double guide. The brown EG has a 2x9 with a ring and works good for hard xc rides but the beating on the full DH stuff makes it hard to hold the chain on and get a good shift.

All and all I think it was good time. Not a single issue with another rider at all. Every one was really nice and the racers passed well and let others pass without issue.

Don't really have any actions pics but I'm sure they will post some up eventually. They had some pro photo guys up and down the hill all day.
    Sweet terrible. Been on vacation... would have said coil all the way snd go with flats and chunky dhf out back or larger schwalbys.

How does the van shock handle the landings w/ that totem?

mtbr member
    Yeah really wanted a pair of big betty's but didn't have the cash.

If I lived closer to a DH park I would have the v3 built with full coils but it's a once a year thing for me to go.

The totem fork and van shock seemed to jive pretty well. Had the rebound pretty slow on the totem to keep the front end under control but could have stood one-two clicks less most of the time. The rear shock is good but I think it could stand a slightly stiffer coil. It came with a 400lb spring but if I could get a 425 I think that would keep me up in the stroke a bit more and keep the pedals out of the rocks. But with a friend giving it to me I can't complain. Maybe a bit of compression adjustment would help too.

Don't think I could do that kind of riding on stricktly flat pedals. I had a bad habit of dabbing way to often when I ran them before. With the clips it keeps me from pussing out and dropping a foot. it's really nice to have something holding me on the bike when things get squirrelly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I hear you on the price, way too high, in love with the muddy Mary though especially off camber stuff. Was a thread on a deal, I try and find it.

Yep fox should get their sh!t together and offer 25lb increments, what is this 50lb BS

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not sure if it's still going on

Sick deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Not sure if it's still going on

Sick deal

I just bought a pair of Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar/TrailStars from them and the total came to $47.00 each including shipping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Good job!

Man that is cheap, ebay like $80...I always seem to have couple crappy tires I need to wear out first

mtbr member

mtbr member
    and at 2:48

mtbr member
    and at 2:48
    sure looks fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wow, that super nice.. i wish we have something this flowy at my place..