mtbr member

EG cranks/front D questions

Alright I'm sick of dropping my chain on my EG. Every ride now it does it. I'm not fealing the 10 speed cassette or rear shifting either. I'm going back to my 9 speed stuff.

Before the 10 speed went on my drivetran was a set of xt cranks with a little/middle/bash with a cheap lx front derailer I found in the junk bin at the shop. I would like to pick up one of the slx models that is 2x9 specific but I want to make sure to get the right model.

The fd-m665 and mfd-m667 seem to both fit the bill. I'm aware that the eg requires ahigh clamp D. But the top-swing is appropriate correct?

Also, Is this going to work right with a bash gaurd? I'm running a 22/32 setup right now and was going to go with either a 34 or 36 front. I've gotten used to the higher gearing of the 10 speed stuff and liked the little extra on the "big ring"
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I used to run a 22/34 with the 2 ring specific SLX and it worked fine. I dont remember which model it was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    according to the specs, the 665 and 667 are for max 36T big ring, so if you don't plan to use anything bigger than that, they would be ok.

of those two, the 667 is the one you want. the 665 is low clamp and won't fit. you want a downswing FD, otherwise known as high clamp. you don't want a top swing FD, which is otherwise known as low clamp (the 665).

mtbr member
    Do the same chain rings fit xt/slx cranks?

mtbr member
    And now they don't make XT in 9 speed anymore?