mtbr member
    Dec 2008

EG with 203mm rotors at the back?

Whats the biggest rotor the EG can take at the rear? Heard from friends that 203mm and QR is a bad combination...Because just recently bought a pair of Magura Storm SL 203mm rotors for cheap. I can put the other 203mm on the front but not too sure about the rear...

mtbr member
    For normal trail rides its overkill. I use it only on biking trips that sees harder riding.
    But if its fix and forget and reliance on the rear brake is excessive-- check the QR for looseness + wear on the dropouts more often be it 203 or smaller rotors.

mtbr member
    Will definitely create more torque on the rear dropouts, a rear hub with fun bolts or a 10mm thru axle would help cure that. 203 is overkill on the rear on a 6" bike.

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Will definitely create more torque on the rear dropouts, a rear hub with fun bolts or a 10mm thru axle would help cure that. 203 is overkill on the rear on a 6" bike.
    Agreed that you'll need more than a QR. What hub do you have? My Hope easily converted to a through axel and I use a DT Swiss RWS. Tool-less and stiff.

I'm not sure that 203 is an overkill, though. Depends on your mass. I felt something missing with 180. Just put a 203 on and haven't had a chance to ride yet, but I think it will give me a bit extra control on the downs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGray View Post
    Agreed that you'll need more than a QR. What hub do you have? My Hope easily converted to a through axel and I use a DT Swiss RWS. Tool-less and stiff.

I'm not sure that 203 is an overkill, though. Depends on your mass. I felt something missing with 180. Just put a 203 on and haven't had a chance to ride yet, but I think it will give me a bit extra control on the downs.
    hmn, wont 203 on the rear be overkill on the down? you be skidding the rear too much and sway out of line. try use more of the front brake.

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadica View Post
    hmn, wont 203 on the rear be overkill on the down? you be skidding the rear too much and sway out of line. try use more of the front brake.
    Yep. I know about braking. I know that forward shift of the COG during braking results in the front brake carrying a greater load. The front brake does more work and can do more work, yada yada yada. That doesn't mean that you don't need a rear brake. I also know what feels best for me. When my fat @$$ is accelerating down a trail at 9.8m/s2 I like to scrub speed with my rear brake and reserve my front for more significant attitude changes lest I run down that casual hiker family and their lap dog. I do like to keep the control of the bike distributed between the two wheels so that I don't overly rely on the front to brake and steer.

For the record, I haven't yet ridden the bike since I change to the 203. You might be right. Might be too much. I like to trail brake into sweeping turns to this might be too much brake front and rear thereby disturbing my mojo. Hope to find out soon.

U $ 4 O?

brake bumps

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGray View Post
    For the record, I haven't yet ridden the bike since I change to the 203. You might be right. Might be too much. I like to trail brake into sweeping turns to this might be too much brake front and rear thereby disturbing my mojo. Hope to find out soon.
    x3 overkill and don't need more brake bumps on the trail.. plus it's high stress area on mtb's