mtbr member
    Sep 2010

E13 DRS + Raceface Cranks on EG = Grinding

I've finally got my EG built up a month ago but is having a hard time trying to get the cranks and chain guide setup right.

It appears that the ISCG tab is welded a little too far out on causing the chain guide to sit a little too close to the cranks. Currently the bolts on the granny ring will grind against the chain guide bolts and the chain will also be touching the back plate of the chain guide when on the granny ring.

I have already adjusted the chainline by placing all spacers on the drive side so the drive side cranks are as far out as possible but they are still rubbing. I am going to try filing down the chainring and ISCG bolts next to see whether that would help with the grinding.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem using the same combo of parts?

mtbr member
    Don't think its a reported "known" problem but yes I do find that it is a little too far out when compared with other frames
    Had the DRS and now the Blackspire stinger-- both with same rubbing issue even when drive side shimmed to 4mm of spacers (that's about the max as anymore and the non-drive side will not be getting enuf threads to tighten it down).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Guess I'll just have to start grinding down the bolts then.

mtbr member

I had the same issue

I was trying to put a Stinger on with RF Atlas cranks and the small ring bolts always rubbed, My first frame's ISCG tab was welded on noticeably crooked and Titus sent me a new frame (before the bankruptcy). ISCG standard says they can mount the tab flush with the bb shell or recess it 2.5mm, recessing it would be much better as you can always shim out your chainguide. I have since mounted a MRP XCG and Stinger on my frame with a X9 2x10 crank with zero issues. I think the problem could be specific to RF cranks.

what's that rattle?

Face The Tabs

I had a Socom with crooked ISCG tabs that made it impossible to set up the chainguide properly. Intense wasn't up for a replacement or repair, so I found a shop with a HammerSchmidt installation set, which includes a ISCG tab facing tool. If you can track one down, you'll likely have better results than with a file - crooked tabs are more difficult to deal with than offset tabs.

mtbr member

Stinger was rubbing on xt small ring bolt too

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I was trying to put a Stinger on with RF Atlas cranks and the small ring bolts always rubbed, My first frame's ISCG tab was welded on noticeably crooked and Titus sent me a new frame (before the bankruptcy). ISCG standard says they can mount the tab flush with the bb shell or recess it 2.5mm, recessing it would be much better as you can always shim out your chainguide. I have since mounted a MRP XCG and Stinger on my frame with a X9 2x10 crank with zero issues. I think the problem could be specific to RF cranks.

Most noticeable for mine was on the forward most bolt of the chain guide rubbing the bolts on the granny.. and this was after an additional 1.5mm of spacers. Had to swap that out with the flatter bolt that came with the E13 DRS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
    I had a Socom with crooked ISCG tabs that made it impossible to set up the chainguide properly. Intense wasn't up for a replacement or repair, so I found a shop with a HammerSchmidt installation set, which includes a ISCG tab facing tool. If you can track one down, you'll likely have better results than with a file - crooked tabs are more difficult to deal with than offset tabs.
    Thanks, I am gonna ask my LBS about that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yup, had the same problem here. Blackspire stinger w xt cranks 24x34 chainrings. Spacers on the bb inbetween the frame and bb will work but will result in misaligned chainline and increase wear and tear on bb.

This is a common problem for many bikes unfortunatley and titus is not alone, although one should not see this problem on a high end bike. I contrast this with my v-tach which required a whack of spacers on the chaingiude and chainring to work with a totally weird chain line: but it works fine.

Best solution it to grind both the chainring and chainguide bolts. Takes a few minutes but it works great. No problems after two months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No ISCG facing tool at the lbs.

Ended up blowing $200 to order one. Should be arriving the end of this week.

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by mgv101 View Post
    No ISCG facing tool at the lbs.

Ended up blowing $200 to order one. Should be arriving the end of this week.
    Not too bad of a deal, really. I paid my LBS $70 for the privilege of having them face my BB shell down to 70.5mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just had the tabs faced. It fits perfectly now

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Woah.... I'm about to commit into a Gamut P30 Dual guide.... Dang that sounds shitty! Anybody tried the Gamut on the EG?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the same problem on my 08EG with ISCG adapter plate and E13 chainguide, as well as a MRP bb bashguard on a FTM. After numerous attempts grinding and filing my RF carbon cranks I have come to the conclusion it is the RF crankset that sits too close to the frame due to the extra narrow BB cups.
    RF had provided me a solution of placing washers between the spindle and nondrive side arm to allow running more spacers behind the drive side bb cup. I have yet to do this and have since ordered E13 cranks.