mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Dunno what to o with my el gaupo

I've had a 09 frame from new and always liked the bike but never rode it loads,got lots of other bikes,
    It was always my go to big bike ,in the alps ,jumpy kinda rides and some uplift dh days.

I recently feel in love with a transition bandit 29 er for all of the above kinda rides,( got a bandit 26 as well ) and decided to sell a opulent of bikes to fund it ,

I sold one bike and the fox 36 forks from the eg but haven't been able to sell the frame at the price I wanted (400) because of the pice on one are selling it at .

I just can't let it go for less than that so what shall I do with it ,build it up real burly for some dh riding or try getting it lighter for a bit of everything,

Some revalation forks at 150 mm or some 160/180 forks and coil

mtbr member
    Cant believe you like the horrible pedalling characteristics of the single pivot Bandit. I hated that bike. Build up the EG light and dump the Bandit 26, EG is far superior.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Cant believe you like the horrible pedalling characteristics of the single pivot Bandit. I hated that bike. Build up the EG light and dump the Bandit 26, EG is far superior.
    Like he says, he fell in love with the bandit. It has nothing to do with your impression of your experience riding one. So your post expresses nothing but your hate for the bike, and you tell him to dump it, and do as you do. Who the phuck do you think you are? The voice of this forum? Is being a Titus ambassador all about hating other brands, and dissing other riders of those brands? Dave Turner seems to think so.
    Want to be a Titus ambassador? Urge this guy to sell his frame to someone who wants it, and let him enjoy his slice of riding. It's about the ride; it's not about are you riding the same bike as Craigstr.

mtbr member

Here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Like he says, he fell in love with the bandit. It has nothing to do with your impression of your experience riding one. So your post expresses nothing but your hate for the bike, and you tell him to dump it, and do as you do. Who the phuck do you think you are? The voice of this forum? Is being a Titus ambassador all about hating other brands, and dissing other riders of those brands? Dave Turner seems to think so.
    Want to be a Titus ambassador? Urge this guy to sell his frame to someone who wants it, and let him enjoy his slice of riding. It's about the ride; it's not about are you riding the same bike as Craigstr.
    Oh brother. Cant I voice my own opinion? It is the internet. Go talk about Avalanche Suspension or something useful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Guys chill ,see where you both coming from but it's just bikes,I was just looking for some chat about bikes (mainly Titus)

Maybe a little inspiration on a new build ,some similar stories ,I'm not goner chuck my other bikes just cause some one else says so

Lets av a cyber hug and talk about riding bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lock71 View Post
    Guys chill ,see where you both coming from but it's just bikes,I was just looking for some chat about bikes (mainly Titus)

Maybe a little inspiration on a new build ,some similar stories ,I'm not goner chuck my other bikes just cause some one else says so

If you keep it, I would build it up the opposite of what you already have. You could run a 150mm fork and use it as a "plush" and fast XC bike.

Honestly, you may have to take your losses and sell it for whatever you can get.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by lock71 View Post

Okay, I'll try to be constructive here.
    If you want to give your el guapo a chance, and turn it into something you may enjoy, you might want to build it extremely in one direction, or the other. Real light, as mentioned above, or go aggro, and put some real coil suspension front and rear, big tires, etc., and turn your EG into what this frame has the potential to be.
    But whatever you do, don't sell the bikes you love to ride. That would be a mistake.

Let the good times roll.
    Since you have 2 lightweight trail bikes already, my recommendation is to build your EG to handle more aggressive riding. But I don't necessarily mean coils and super beefy parts. Those are only a big advantage if your terrain is rough and maximizing plushness (read comfort) is a priority. Geometry is the most important thing to get right IMO. You could use something like a Monarch+ and Vengeance air with sensible components and end up with a ~31 lb bike that shreds the downhills and jumps very well. A 150mm fork is fine for the EG, but I think that will end up too similar to your other bikes.

For what it's worth, I'd seriously consider the Bandit if I had $$ to get a second bike to complement my heavy duty EG for milder trail rides. It sounds like a lot of fun based on reviews I've heard and the geo/specs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yeh I'm thinking beefy build ,might get some marzocchi ti forks for it

mtbr member
    Totem forks usually go for cheap. Whatever you do make sure it's something you want and not some other guys idea that has never even been tried. I'm all for doing something new but if you go too far one way or the other the bike will be too far out of what it was meant to do (a little bit of it all).

Sure I remember the pic of a v2 with a fox 40 (and I did get a bit off wood when I saw it) but I don't think that was too smart.

Some guys have built with 150 forks but they must use steel toed SPD compatible boots cause my toes'd be broke.

I have found that these bikes do well with 160-180 forks (180 is great on v3 but a bit silly on v1) 170-175mm cranks, either 2.3-2.5 tires and straight bars. I've ran three different rear shocks, an rp23, a monarch and a fox vanR. I like them all but they all have their place. The fun part is finding it.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Pretty sure thats my v2 you're referring to that had the 40 and coil shock on it...

That thing shredded SUPER hard!!! I dropped the 40 to 7" and dropped it in the crown so it was fairly low, not a super high front end. The rear shock is an x-fusion vector hlr. 2.5's fit fine in the frame. Took it up to Northstar in California a couple times that year and had a blast. The bike had zero issues with any of the trails up there (at that time I was a decently competitive expert level racer...so I was able to work the bike over the rougher terrain, the bike in that set up definitely handled the "gnar" better than a 150 bike should, but it didnt allow me to fall asleep at the wheel if you get my point...)

Ive also had the same bike built up with full XTR, 1x10, custom wheels at 1400 grams, WTB 2.1 weirs, a Revelation 150 fork, angleset at -1.5, and float rear shock. Bike was down to just under 28lb (size small frame, v2). I raced this setup in a few super d's that year including a few of the Oregon ones...the bike absolutely KILLED it in that guise also.

Then ive also tried to set it up as a "quiver killer" build with a 36, 1x10, 2x10, medium width/weight wheels, skinnier/thicker casing tires, thicker/skinnier casing tires, blah, blah, blah...

Dont waste your time trying to make it a do all bike. It sucks at that. Its a SUPER baller purpose built platform. Whether your purpose is slaying the XC style trails, or shredding the gnar. Build it for one and suffer slightly. Play to your personal strengths and let the bike take care of the rest. If youre a climber build the bike as a descender, if youre a descender build the bike as a climber.

I have the advantage of working at a shop so I get to try out different bikes on a fairly regular (at least once a year if not more) basis. The EG is the one bike in the past 9 years that I happily paid (almost) full retail for and have kept longer than 14 months. In fact, im going on year three at the end of this month. Like you I just cant bring myself to sell it, its been partially disassembled in the basement for the better part of this year, im currently working on its newest wardrobe and getting super stoked on it. Im aiming for another 27-ish lb build. If I do anything crazy with it or get it sub 27 ill be sure to post some pics or something. Its quite rare that I spend any time on the forums anymore, just happened I got bored tonight. could have been the fact that im supposed to be doing schoolwork right now and theres nothing else going on too tho...strange

Sorry for the rambling, hope you got something out of it all...