"El Whatever"

Dumb question about derailleur hanger

Hi folks!

This one may be pretty dumb a question...

I just noticed that the bolt that holds the hanger to my frame, is a bit distorted at the hex. Might have been the former owner either using an improper wrench or being hamfisted.

What size is this bolt?
    Is it anything special? Looks like a chainring bolt... not quite? My Deus bolts look a bit larger.
    Anyone offering it in red or other fancy color?

Thanks!!
    Warp
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Chainring bolt

Warp you are correct it is a chainring bolt.
    I replaced mine just after I got my ML in 2005 when it inexplicably failed, the thread had just come apart. I noticed my derailleur was loose and to my surprise the whole bolt came out at the hanger! This could have been catastrophic on a fast descent....
    Replaced it with a STRONGLIGHT steel chainring bolt, had to remove that two nights ago on the trail due to my hanger snapping(branch in derailleur and wheel..) Luckily had a new hanger so fixed it in the dark with headlamp. The tricky bit is to hold the chainring nut fast(it has two shallow grooves for this purpose) so you can tighten the nut adequately. Shimano makes a tool for this but I ended up improvising.
    Yes, you can get different colours, just get one with a fairly flat nut head (sits on the cluster side) as otherwise there is minimal clearance between the nut and the smallest sprocket.
    In fact the first one that was fitted to my bike had the head filed down slightly to make it fit(LBS!)
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    Warp you are correct it is a chainring bolt.
    I replaced mine just after I got my ML in 2005 when it inexplicably failed, the thread had just come apart. I noticed my derailleur was loose and to my surprise the whole bolt came out at the hanger! This could have been catastrophic on a fast descent....
    Replaced it with a STRONGLIGHT steel chainring bolt, had to remove that two nights ago on the trail due to my hanger snapping(branch in derailleur and wheel..) Luckily had a new hanger so fixed it in the dark with headlamp. The tricky bit is to hold the chainring nut fast(it has two shallow grooves for this purpose) so you can tighten the nut adequately. Shimano makes a tool for this but I ended up improvising.
    Yes, you can get different colours, just get one with a fairly flat nut head (sits on the cluster side) as otherwise there is minimal clearance between the nut and the smallest sprocket.
    In fact the first one that was fitted to my bike had the head filed down slightly to make it fit(LBS!)
    Thanks, bro!!

Is it correct to assume it's a short one?
    (Chainring bolts come in short and long, right?)

Stronglight... nice...
    Check my Site

Do It Yourself
    It's a normal 2 ring bolt so most any aftermarket aluminum bolts should work fine. I've used SRP, Race Face and Shimano and all worked fine. Most of the the extra long bolts I've seen (that wouldn't work) have been steel.
    Long Live Long Rides

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    It's a normal 2 ring bolt so most any aftermarket aluminum bolts should work fine. I've used SRP, Race Face and Shimano and all worked fine. Most of the the extra long bolts I've seen (that wouldn't work) have been steel.
    Thanks, HB!!!

Bro, you're a walking Technical Library... Kudos!
    Check my Site