View Poll Results: Where would you like Titus frames to be made?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA made AL frames, please.

20 41.67%
  • A mix of frame sources, like current production.

11 22.92%
  • Meh, don't care make 'em all in Taiwan

17 35.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Orthodox Veloist

Do you care where Titus sources it's frames from?

Hey guys and gals,
    You are the most diehard Titus fans on the planet and I have a quick pole question that has been in my head for some time. Do you care where Titus sources it's frames from?

I have been torn on this issue since I personally love riding a USA Portland made FTM around and also love seeing the "Made in Portland" sticker on the new Rockstars. But I've also ridden the Carbon FTM and other Taiwanese frames for years (Giant, Santa Cruz, etc) and see no real difference in performance.

I am not trying to start USA vs China bash thread, just a curious poke inside the minds of the true believers. What do you think?

So only 3 pole answers:

- USA made frames, please.
    - A mix of frames like current production.
    - Meh, don't care make 'em all in Taiwan

mtbr member

Just as long as they arent Chinese

From the factory Brant had the misaligned frame from. Ive been riding a Kinesis EG for three seasons, love it. Knolly is even sourcing from Taiwan now.

mtbr member

:d...........
    Last edited by craigstr; 05-11-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: double post

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I have a Taiwanese 2011 El Guapo and I love it.

Overseas manufacturing has improved leaps and bounds over the last decade so quality wise I see no issue, however I would have happily paid a premium for the satisfaction of owning an American made product and supporting the U.S. economy.

I am very pleased with the performance and value of my El Guapo, but in hindsight I wish I had bought a Ventana for this very reason.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalwrench View Post
    Do you care where Titus sources it's frames from?

Are you talking about a new frame added in the lineup??

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    TBH.

I don`t care where my El Guapo was made . The quality control was definately there. Rode mine solid for 5 months . Nothing to complain about here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I value quality and price a lot more than origin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If it's coming from Asia, I'd just buy a spectrekgiant...a lot easier to find a dealer and cheaper too. Only reason to buy the small brands is unique manufacturing or if they have a special design feature...imho
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    If it's coming from Asia, I'd just buy a spectrekgiant...a lot easier to find a dealer and cheaper too. Only reason to buy the small brands is unique manufacturing or if they have a special design feature...imho
    cheaper?!? name a model less than the current El Guapo
    breezy shade

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    To amend my above comments I would like to add that product manufactured in the United States are held to a higher standard for ethical labor practices and handling of bi-products and environmental impacts This is generally where the added cost to manufacture in America are generated.

Those who are not U.S. citizens may not be concerned with supporting our economy, but I believe the above should be a consideration for those, foreign and domestic, who are conscious of such matters.

As the saying goes, thereís no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody, somewhere got the short end of the stick to bring you your El Guapo for that great price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Guess you're right...didn't realize they were selling them for 999. If that's Titus' marketing angle, to be the cheapest possible, then this thread is moot...there will be no option other than Asian sourcing...
    whatever...

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    Guess you're right...didn't realize they were selling them for 999. If that's Titus' marketing angle, to be the cheapest possible, then this thread is moot...there will be no option other than Asian sourcing...
    Well perhaps not. The OP is a Titus brand ambassador and other Titus models are U.S.A. made. If their market research suggests that it is both feasible and profitable things may swing.

Orthodox Veloist
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Are you talking about a new frame added in the lineup??
    Mainly talking about going forward. The current AL frames for the X, FTM, and Rockstar are made by SAPA here in Portland until they discontinue the bike building operations. I believe Titus, and other manufacturers that were with SAPA are now looking for other options for US made frames. SAPA early this year (or was it end of last year?) dropped a bomb on the brands and said it was discontinuing bicycle production as it was not part of their core business.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am currently shopping for an all mountain bike and the El Guapo looks great. However, I have decided that I have to buy a USA made frame while I still can. My old Treks and Klein were all US made. I was considering a Trek Remedy 9.8 until I learned that they moved to Taiwan production for 2012. According to the Trek rep, the demo bike I rode was the last of the 2011 US made frames, but painted like a 2012 with the current spec components. I'm about to put my money where my mouth is and order a Turner 5-Spot (or Intense Tracer 2). I do have to give Titus credit for pricing the El Guapo frame at $999. That will give me fits at night thinking how much the Turner frame cost. If the E.G. frame was US made and $1,500, I would have ordered it already.
    Last edited by sammon287; 05-16-2012 at 02:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    To amend my above comments I would like to add that product manufactured in the United States are held to a higher standard for ethical labor practices and handling of bi-products and environmental impacts This is generally where the added cost to manufacture in America are generated.

Those who are not U.S. citizens may not be concerned with supporting our economy, but I believe the above should be a consideration for those, foreign and domestic, who are conscious of such matters.

As the saying goes, thereís no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody, somewhere got the short end of the stick to bring you your El Guapo for that great price.
    No, it is the direct sell model. There is no middle man that takes a cut. And remember, this is without a shock. The price with shock for most of Titus' bikes is close to $1300, which is not far from where many bikes (such as Turners) get priced at to clear stock.

And also remember, Titus had to generate sales. The could not do that priced where they were previously. They may give up a little to generate sales but at this point in time, it is probably a good idea.

Also, people need to go to Taiwan. It is not China. The average salary in Taiwan is close to $35K. In the USA it is about $45K. Remove the cost of health care in the US (which is covered in Taiwan) and the take home pay and disposable income are actually very similar.

And no, I am not from Taiwan (or Chinese).

mtbr member

On some models

[QUOTE=Vespasianus;9316819] And remember, this is without a shock. The price with shock for most of Titus' bikes is close to $1300, which is not far from where many bikes (such as Turners) get priced at to clear stock.

$999 El Guapo includes a Monarch RT3

NOT Team Sanchez
    Hmmm, I guess I do prefer USA made over Taiwanese made, but my 2008 El Guapo has been great for nearly four years and it was made in Taiwan; I don't know? Wait, did you just say $999 for a new El Guapo with a nice rear shock? Ok, nevermind Perhaps I'm a xenophobe, but I like products made in the USA and Europe over about anything else, think Ventana, Nicolai, Orange, Zumbi, etc. It could also be that I just like weird frames that are hard to find parts for and not regularly seen on the hill
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I won't ride a Giant, too common and the quality was poor and this isn't a baseless claim.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    It would be alot easier to spend money on something made here. It's a feeling of pride to ride something made buy another dude that pays the same taxes, drives the same roads and puts his kids through the same schools as me.

I know it may seem abstract to some but it matters to me. If you have to get the bearings from japan or the bolts from taiwan so be it, but do the damn welding here.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    It would be alot easier to spend money on something made here. It's a feeling of pride to ride something made buy another dude that pays the same taxes, drives the same roads and puts his kids through the same schools as me.

I know it may seem abstract to some but it matters to me. If you have to get the bearings from japan or the bolts from taiwan so be it, but do the damn welding here.
    Well said. I know the quality is fine with Taiwan made frames, but I just feel the need to keep some ability to make things here. I'm afraid that there won't be any US bike production in ten years and I don't want to contribute to that. I am fortunate to be able to pay more for my principles, although I am a mere public servant. I try to buy domestic whenever I can, but the only place I try hard to avoid is mainland China (People's Republic of China). I guess I'm a product of cold war anti-communist propaganda.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    No, it is the direct sell model. There is no middle man that takes a cut. And remember, this is without a shock. The price with shock for most of Titus' bikes is close to $1300, which is not far from where many bikes (such as Turners) get priced at to clear stock.
    As was stated the $999 price for the EG includes the shock, but I concede on the direct sales model being a factor. If there is a middle man it would be the shipping company at upwards of $10,000 per container.

And also remember, Titus had to generate sales. The could not do that priced where they were previously. They may give up a little to generate sales but at this point in time, it is probably a good idea.

Also, people need to go to Taiwan. It is not China. The average salary in Taiwan is close to $35K. In the USA it is about $45K. Remove the cost of health care in the US (which is covered in Taiwan) and the take home pay and disposable income are actually very similar.
    Iím glad to hear about the average take home pay and disposable income of Taiwanese citizens, but does this accurately represent the blue collar factory workers at the EG facility? And what of safe working conditions, average hours worked in a week, and environmental responsibility?

Iím not trying to be argumentative, but itís hard to imagine a great deal of compensation can be furnished for labor after the costs of materials, tooling, shipping, advertising, giving Rock Shox their cut for the shocks, and On One collecting a profit at the $999 price point.

And no, I am not from Taiwan (or Chinese).
    Are you sure? I thought your avatar was a Taiwanese monument.

mtbr member

Listen! Why?

If I was gonna buy Asian, get a Giant, Trek or Spec. Or a KHS, then I could try a 650b and still use HL.

Guess that I am gonna go to the Ellsworth site now...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalwrench View Post
    Mainly talking about going forward.
    Was hoping this is about a Brant design as I already own Kinesis EG, definitely need to move design forward

In this day and age we need options at the same price point, if using the same tubes... Geometry adjustment should be available upon ordering a seasoned bike like EG (nothing major, slight adjustments like 14" clearance on the chain stays, or small angle change)

mtbr member
    I'm all for having a frame that is built in the USA. I own a Ritchey, Titus, Turner and a Moots. All built in the USA.
    Now I have a Knolly on order that is being built in Taiwan. At first I didnít like the idea of having a bike that was built in Taiwan but the more I looked into it the more I understood why some of the bike manufactures are moving there frame building to Taiwan.
    Yes I do wish that the US would keep building bike frame but it doesnít look like thatís going to happen, besides look at where all the rest of the parts of the bike are built.