mtbr member

Diverse Dueler on the El Guapo

I picked up a Diverse Dueler for "duel" use on my 2010 El Guapo and my new 2011 Delirium (on its way). Unfortuneatly the weather here in Reno has been very wet and snowy. I'm planning a trip down to Santa Cruz next weekend so hopefully I can get some time on the new shock. As most of you know I race the Northstar XC series on my El Guapo and I'm planning on racing the Super D series this year as well, while I will use an air shock for the XC races I want to have the option of throwing on a coil shock for the Super D races as Northstar DH is chunky to say the least. The Diverse shock is a beauty to look at, very clean. It has seperate hi and low compression adjustment as well as rebound, coil preload, and boost pressure. This shock is 8.5" x 2.5" with a 450 lb Ti spring and weighs in at 729 grams, very respectable for a coil. The longer models have the "PRC" or progressive ramp control adjustment as well. Other then up and down my driveway and off a few curbs, I havent had any time on this shock yet. It sure feels nice and plush bouncing on it though. These shocks are half the price of Cane Creek or Fox offerings with a Ti Spring! If you want to check them out look here:
    http://www.dsp-racing.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by craigstr; 03-16-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Master of None
    I'd be interested to hear your reports on that shock. That price is amazing.

I picked up a 2011 X-Fusion Vector HLR for $300 a little while back, and only got one ride on it before it turned into a mud fest out there. And just recently I got a matching Vengeance HLR fork to go with it.

With a coil shock I read that the top rocker hole is the one to use. I've never tried the lower hole so I can't honestly say if it makes a big difference.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...er#post3285752

What do you think? Have you tried both rocker mount holes?

mtbr member

Top Hole

I ran the top hole with the original RP23 HV because it was so linear and I was blowing through the travel, I picked up the new Monarch RT3 and put it back in the lower hole because that shock is much more progressive. I will try it in both positions as soon as I get some dry ground to ride on.

Master of None
    I see the SRAM sticker over the boo-boo.

I noticed the paint code for the orange is YS7871. It said so on the box the frame came in.
    http://www.y-s-paint.com.tw/eDM/Show.asp?ItemNo=YS 7871
    http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=11501

mtbr member
    Craig, how's the Dueler on your EG so far?

Been trying out one on mine (after the X-fusion Vector HLR somehow didnt materialize).

The LC dial really works to smooth out the small bumps on my first proper ride this morning. And all the small drops ends with that "magic carpet" landing feel....don't think Im ever going back to the DHX

mtbr member

Good to hear...

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    Craig, how's the Dueler on your EG so far?

Been trying out one on mine (after the X-fusion Vector HLR somehow didnt materialize).

The LC dial really works to smooth out the small bumps on my first proper ride this morning. And all the small drops ends with that "magic carpet" landing feel....don't think Im ever going back to the DHX

It has been the snowiest year here in Tahoe for more than 50 years, I havent been able to even ride the bike yet. Everytime I plan a trip down to the low country it rains like crazy. Good to hear the shock feels so good, it feels really good just bouncing on it in the garage. I think it will find a permanent home on the new FR bike I am building up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by craigstr; 04-03-2011 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wow nice bike, large w/ Lyrik?

Did they make the Lyriks stiffer this year? I tried a friends Lyrik (fairly old) a year ago and it wasn't the same as Fox, bushings could have been toast though.

mtbr member
    Totem Coil DH....plenty stiff!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The crown seems different..can't really remember, probably the same.

Dig the P-40 graphics on the bars.

mtbr member
    I was tempted with the choice of your new ride too. Threw a leg over my buddy's rig and have to say one of the best long travel climber (with a 6" fork)

When you get the chance to hit the trails... check out the Dueler's rebound. I there are options to tune that. Stock usually ships with the fast rebound needle. The one I had on the bike was a loaner (mine is somewhere over the Atlantic now) that has rebound slowed down. Works great for my kind of terrain. But the fast one is probably better for kicking-off to air...

edit: googled a bit and seems quite a few sites are talking about the rebound too
    here & here
    Last edited by anvil_den; 04-03-2011 at 03:41 AM.

mtbr member

I did notice that

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    I was tempted with the choice of your new ride too. Threw a leg over my buddy's rig and have to say one of the best long travel climber (with a 6" fork)

When you get the chance to hit the trails... check out the Dueler's rebound. I there are options to tune that. Stock usually ships with the fast rebound needle. The one I had on the bike was a loaner (mine is somewhere over the Atlantic now) that has rebound slowed down. Works great for my kind of terrain. But the fast one is probably better for kicking-off to air...

edit: googled a bit and seems quite a few sites are talking about the rebound too
    here & here
    The rebound is really fast and it takes quite a few turns of the dial to notice a difference. I spoke with the factory about that and they are supposed to send me a some different needles. I owned an 09 Delirium T and it was a great FR bike. The new Delirium is even better, frame is over a pound lighter, 10mm more travel, and some tweeks to the rear suspension hlep it handle take off lips a little better (the DT was a bit of a slug there). I got the Vivid so I could get the PUSH Team Issue kit but PUSH is out of stock on it now, hopefully they get the new kits soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Oh.. Totem

My eyes must have been crossed

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hello,

I have a Titus EG 2009 Small size with a Fox DHX RC4 with a 350 Lbs springs, i am 160 lbs geared up. But i would like to know how you feel your bike with a coil shock (Do you feel the bike plush?, does the coil spring need some usage to start to feel it plusher?), mine does not feel as plusher as with the air shock, do you have any recommendation or advice to set up my bike correctly and take advantage of the coil shock.

Thanks and really appreciate you comments.

mtbr member
    You might try a 300 lb spring, you are pretty light. Other things you might look at is your spring preload and low speed compression, no more than three full turns on the preload ring, you should be able to spin the spring with your hand when the suspension is unloaded, also start with your ls compression fully open (counter clockwise) and add it as needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Andres Velez View Post
    Hello,

I have a Titus EG 2009 Small size with a Fox DHX RC4 with a 350 Lbs springs, i am 160 lbs geared up. But i would like to know how you feel your bike with a coil shock (Do you feel the bike plush?, does the coil spring need some usage to start to feel it plusher?), mine does not feel as plusher as with the air shock, do you have any recommendation or advice to set up my bike correctly and take advantage of the coil shock.

Thanks and really appreciate you comments.
    I havn't tried the RC4 yet, but I have a feeling the after market shocks have rebound, boostvalve, compression and velocity set at medium tune.

Does your shock have these sticker indicators?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thank you for your replies and help i really appreciate it. I did what you recommend me and it is working better, i use 1 turn on the preload ring and i fully open the LSC, the Rebound and HSC at medium tune, and the Boostvalve almost fully open. I also want to ask you, do you really feel the bike way better with the coil shock? and it is true a coil shock requires some usage to feel it really plusher?.

Thanks and once again thank you for your help, waiting for your replies.

mtbr member
    Well I have no experience with an RC4 but the boost valve is for bottom out control, I would start with maybe just a little boost at the minimum pressure, I usually set rebound by riding off a curb, I want the shock to compress, return, then settle, if it bounces more than once it needs more rebound. HSC wont effect the initial small bump compliance, HSC is for hard, fast hits on the suspension. I had very little time on the coil shock on the guapo as I ended up going with the Monarch RT3 which I feel is very plush however I do run a coil on my Knolly Delirium. It may take a ride or two for the seals to break in on your coil shock, if it still feels too harsh try a lighter spring.

mtbr member
    For your weight, first try with the minimum recommended psi on the boost/ piggy resevoir.

The "plushness" is quite subjective, don't think it will quite ever achieve the kind of feel like a coil on a single pivot DH bike type of plushiness if that is what you meant.

Im ~165-167lb geared up and a 400lb coil works fine so far on 2 diff coil shock (DHX5 and the present Dueler) in terms of getting the sag closest to 30% with minimal preload (usually try to go no more than half to 3/4 turn). Judging from just the slight weight difference alone I suspect a lighter spring might make your bike more "plush" but may overdo it to the point of affecting pedaling efficiency. Give the present 350 spring a few more go and break in those seals on the shock like Craigstr said before changing out to another coil. You might even want to go up instead of down by the time the shock is properly broken in depending on the type of terrain u ride.

Compression setting for me is dependent on the trail and sometimes the condition. Yup start with fully open position for these and wind/click up as necessary. Usually not very much is needed. For rebound-what works for me on coil shocks is <50% of max (when compared to air shocks, the rebound tend to need to be a little faster for me). I'm not so much the fly-&-drift type of rider and tend to favor settings that gives me max traction possible esp at higher speed on the down stretches...

Lastly, dont neglect the fork settings after the rear is dialled in..... getting the front and back to "talk" to each other is important too for that ideal "ride feel"