All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Did I miss something?

Just got the latest BRAIN, and it has an article on ti builders, and mentions that Titus has ABG building their production frames.

I am wracking my mind, did this info miss me somehow? Or is this news to others as well?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Just got the latest BRAIN, and it has an article on ti builders, and mentions that Titus has ABG building their production frames.

I am wracking my mind, did this info miss me somehow? Or is this news to others as well?
    Yes, you missed something while you have been going goo-goo over your Lenz project .

LINKY

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Jeff
    For the record, we are not being sought after for purchase by ABG, but rather for the manufacturing of some of our titanium frames. Currently we have been working with ABG for the past 8 months to have them bend and build seat and chain stays for our Fireline's. Based on our positive working relationship with them and the increased demand for Titus titanium frames abroad, this is a very logical step for both companies.

In today's market and with the economy in the state it is currently in, it is in the best interest of smart companies to look at ways in which collaboration can save costs. ABG is still considered the premier titanium manufacturer in the world and we know they can hold the same level of quality we demand.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Yes,
    Ah ha! Thanks for the link. I'd have been embarrassed if I posted, and forgot the whole affair, but I didn't think I had

I wish I was going goo goo, but it's still not in house. Should be any day.

Funny how the last post in that link was asking about almost the very bike I'm waiting for.

I won't start anything about this ABG deal, but it's not a happy thing for me. Hope it corrects itself.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ti is addictive
    Not a happy thing for me either ......Guess I'm departing as well when I get two nickels to scratch together.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Not a happy thing for me either
    Philosophically speaking, is it a Titus if it's Litespeedmerlinjonesquintanaroomerckx?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Philosophically speaking, is it a Titus if it's Litespeedmerlinjonesquintanaroomerckx?
    Why would it be any less of a Titus than say one of our aluminum frames that is welded by a guy who may have made Turner's the day before. It is a Titus designed frame and a Titus spec as far as tube sets and such go, so why would you consider it a Litespeed? Also in fairness, not everyone has the ability to read the BRAIN hardcopy, the article does mentioned that all custom builds are still being made in house.

As idealistic as it would be to keep building all of our Ti frames under our roof, the financial realities these days are not ideal.

Why would it be any less of a Titus than say one of our aluminum frames
    It wouldn't be.

I will come out and say though, I have a personal, deep seated issue with ABG/Litespeed et al. Like it or not, there it is. I have for years. Long before I ever owned, or rode, or for that fact even heard of Titus.

I am very glad you're still doing custom in house too

To illustrate the even handedness of my feelings, take Jones. Love JJ's bikes, they are gorgeous works of art. When I heard he was having ABG (Merlin, whatever) do his builds, they instantly fell off my lust list. Does that matter? No. Will they still ride great? Sure.

A lot of it may stem from Litespeeds long standing policy of self puffery to the point of nausea. "We only use filler metal mated to our frame material" Ooh, like there's any other way? "We weld all our frames in an oxygen free environment" Text book description of the TIG process. Wow guys, thanks for doing your job the way you should. I guess no one else does?

It just bums me out, that they, of all choices, are gobbling up ti production, just not who I would have chosen. Someone a bit more rooted and earthy perhaps. Snake oil salesmen always give me the willies....

Many wishes for a great year though, this personal angst isn't directed at Titus, just explaining my position,and where it came from

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

dog
    sit! stay!
    Why would it be any less of a Titus than say one of our aluminum frames that is welded by a guy who may have made Turner's the day before.
    well, technically it would be less of a Titus if it's lighter...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...