Bike to the Bone...

DHX on ML first short impressions....

Ok, I thought I wasn't going to go riding today, but decided to make a short ride to test that coil thingie under the top tube

Well, it was a nice day, it didn't rain, sun was up, but not too much. The soil was wet, but not yet muddy.

Since I still haven't dialled the DHX correctly, I'm still trying to figure things out. I'm testing with the rebound for now, I'm making it slower. I felt the bike kick back on some rocks. At the end, it felt fine there. I also decided to play with the fork, since I haven't really taken time to dial it before. Also slower rebound. Now the bike feels plusher than before.

While the DHX is heavier than the RP3, I don't really feel a difference. At least not while riding, and almost none when picking it up. I think that the DHX body without coil and the RP3 weights pretty similar, so the extra weight is the coil itself.

I think the 600 lbs coil will be fine for me. But I still have a 700 or 500 if I want to try other settings.

I went solo because I wanted to return early. Unfortunately, I had some trouble waking up, but I got to Ajusco (which is a bike park) around 8:45 or so. I wanted to be there at 8:00. I found Ritopc when I got ready to roll, talked about 5 minutes and headed to the trailhead.

Unfortunately, I had some noises on the bike and had some ghost shifting troubles, almost all the ride. Before heading to the trail, I thought it was the BB, so I took it to a mechanic that has set up shop there, and he serviced the BB. It took him about 15 minutes.

After this, I started my ride. The bike felt fine. I was searching for roots and rocks (not a hard thing to do here) to feel the shock. First it felt that the ML had turned to be a mule, kicking back. After some dialing on the rebound dial, I got it better. Initially, my intention was to climb to where you branch to climb to La Virgen, but somewhere along the way I saw a trail that I've never used before to my right. I decided to go along it for a while.

The DHX is a pretty nice shock. But I was getting the click....click....click.... noise, and I wasn't peddaling. After a bit, I decided to try to see if I found something wrong there. I lifted the rear tire, spin it, and heard the click..click... eeek! I thought it might be the hub. I tested for spoke tension, and on a spoke I felt it loose. But the tire doesn't felt out of true, but I felt that if I had any musical talent, I could take the rear wheel and play the harp right there and then.

That put the fun out of the ride. I headed back, at the trailhead I went with the mech guy out there, and told him that I felt I had a loose spoke and that my bike was haunted. He said he needed to take the bike to true it out on his garage. On the ghost shifting, here is what I would like to have some input.

What he said sound logical to me, but I just want to have some input. He told me that the previous mech had greased the cables, and that the grease had made the cable housing sticky with grease and dirt. He told me that one should not grease the cables. That coincide with what another friend of me told me a while ago. I was thinking of changing my cabling for Jagwire. Just for UGI's sake, dammit! Should I go with that, or just put new housing and no grease?

Anyway, about the DHX.

I think that the weight penalty isn't too hard, and it occurs in a place where, in my opinion, helps a little bit to make the bike more stable. I would think it would be concerning me if it was in the front or the rear, but right at the middle, the bike didn't feel different than before (weight wise).

The ride was plusher, but I really think I need to adjust the shock to have it at it's best. Although it's early to say, but I think I did a good decision on the DHX.

searcher
    Cool, thanks for the report.
    I am sure you will like it , once it is dialed perfectly.
    About greasing the cables...I dont do it, but I am not a mechanic....
    I also thought to change for some more proffesional cables and housing in the future.
    Kovi

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Nice report! I hope you enjoy the DHX.

On the cables, I don't use any grease either and can go without cable/housing changes for about 6-8 months (up to a year) depending on how much I ride when wet.

Cheers,
    Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 08-14-2006 at 04:43 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Grea news, Rzoz....

Kinda bizarre to spot you yesterday in this big bad arse city, without setting up an appointment. Odd but cool.

On the cable stuff, a little bit (and I'm talking just a smear of grease) when setting up the cables is fine. No grease at all is too. Lots of grease ain't cool.

Anyway, cables should be changed at the first sign of shifting problems. They stretch a bit over time (initially, they do it more) and that kills shifting. Also gunk into the housings will kill shifting. Sounds like new cables time to you.

On the idea of grease creating problems... I dunno. It has to be extremely wet and repeating that over and over. Where you could have issues greasing the cables is in freezing weather... which we have none. However, for your peace of mind, maybe using a better sealing system like Jagwire's Ripcord would do the trick.
    Check my Site

screamer
    Thanks for the ride report. Keep it coming! I'm eager to hear how the coil works out for you.

As for the cables, grease is absolutely the wrong thing to use. I like the RockNRoll cable lube: way lighter, doesn't collect gunk.