mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DHX coil on El Guapo?

Anyone running a Fox DHX coil on their El Guapo? I can pick one up locally for a good price (the 5.0), I'm thinking it might be better on the downhills than the stock Monarch. I did a bunch of lift assisted riding this summer and I'm looking at making my EG more downhill oriented. I don't care about the additional weight.

mtbr member
    I ran a 5.0 a few times on my V2. I felt it was a bit constipated on the smaller stuff and I couldn't seem to tune it out with the boost pressure or adjustment, but it was an improvement over the air shock for the DH sections.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Craig.

Do you know if the shock eyelet bushings from the Monarch will fit the DHX?

mtbr member
    They should as they are the same size, trick is getting them out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Keep them in the monarch, why not save that shock to swap on longer days?

I use the needle bearings on the rocker side ( have a diff version DHX) and it makes a huge difference, just have to grease once in a while. Good thing about the 5.0 is the info is out there so it's user serviceable

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    now that I think about it, NEVER used my air shock once I took it off

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'd go for it if you can get a good price. The great thing is that you can always send it to Avalanche and get the custom tuned DHX mod (DHX on steroids).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got the DHX. I need to send my Monarch into Rockshox for repair (leaking air pressure) so it's good timing anyway. If I like the DHX I'll just sell the Monarch. The DHX has had some work done by a local suspension shop. The previous owner was about the same size as me and we ride the same trails but was on a Blur, hopefully the tuning feels good. I pressed out the bushings with a couple of sockets and a vice, it went smoothly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Let us know how it rides..what shop did the work?

I need to start looking at the push elite and avalance, not sure if the service intervals increase/ how much future service with a "tune" costs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Work was done by ISOtuned Home Page

They are reasonably close by and have a good rep so if I need any work at least I won't have to ship it out of state. I don't think that the service intervals and cost would change because of tuning, it's usually just seals and oil..

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thought I read that a speed sensitive setup needs little more service.. Don't really remember. Need to research more on the position sensitive vs speed sensitive to see what's really going on there, just haven't had the time