Thread: damage advice

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

damage advice

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum altho have been an avid viewer for over a year. I am looking for little advice regarding some damage i have managed to inflict on my beloved el g. A couple of weeks ago during a downhill run i managed to have a little "off" (pesky wet roots!). I brushed myself down and carried on. Next ride the bike started making some peculiar noises and next thing the gear hanger decided to snap in two depositing the deraileur into the back wheel (mangled but wheel ok luckily). I have just replaced the hanger and deraileur but have also noticed some damage to the drop out (see pics). What do you think ok to ride / or do you think its time for a new

damage advice-004.jpg

seat stay. PITA as its only a few mnths old. Note the silver line is sharpie i have drawn on to check if the bend becomes a crack and / or progresses. I am going to contact on-one to see what they think but would be interested in your thoughts also. Cheers R

mtbr member
    I did that exact same thing to my V1 El Guapo, that picture looks exactly the same as mine did. I rode it for another year before I sold it with zero problems. If you do want to replace it, seatstays are not too expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails damage advice-p1010006-1-.jpg  

damage advice-p1010008-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Many thanks for the speedy reply. I am of the same opinion but am erring on the side of caution.I have sent a message to on one technical dept to guage their opinion and will post with their reply. Hopefully they will agree also. I cannot believe it , my shiny new steed and i have scarred her already!!.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

damage advice

Quote Originally Posted by hooterreh View Post
    Many thanks for the speedy reply. I am of the same opinion but am erring on the side of caution.I have sent a message to on one technical dept to guage their opinion and will post with their reply. Hopefully they will agree also. I cannot believe it , my shiny new steed and i have scarred her already!!.
    That is not a structural problem.

Do make sure your chain is long enough. At full compression there is ~20mm gain in chainstay length.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think the chain should be ok as it had been on lots of rides with no issues. However you have me thinking i should double check. Am i correct that the chain should go around the largest chainring and largest cassette ring + 2 links (with suspension fully compressed) .

mtbr member
    I didnt have my chain too short but my b tension set too close to the big cog. I was climbing and hit a compression and the pulley hit the big cog and ripped the rear derailleur off, mine happened about 2 miles into its maiden voyage. Broken derailleur, twisted chain, three broken spokes on a brand new bike. Live and learn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooterreh View Post
    I think the chain should be ok as it had been on lots of rides with no issues. However you have me thinking i should double check. Am i correct that the chain should go around the largest chainring and largest cassette ring + 2 links (with suspension fully compressed) .
    Could be a bit of cross chain but you will be safe for sure. Another thing to check while you're cycling the suspension is the housing/cable routing and length while it extends. It could yank the d into the spokes if it's short, or if the routing causes a bind while sus rebounds

mtbr member

Not all hangers are created equal....

Mine on my older EG (09 which i think qualifies as "V1") is in worse shape and the its just 2 months shy of 4 yrs of regular usage. Happened when my first hanger broke after a crash ~2yrs ago and not only is the rear bit lifted up but there is a distinct gap between the frame and hanger.

Had some hanger issues after that-- they keep bending or breaking. Until I went with the ones made by NSB-- no problems until now.

For comparison I also have a 2nd EG and the stock hanger seems to be a different and closer in material and stiffness to the NSB ones...

damage advice-eg-dropouts.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    For comparison I also have a 2nd EG and the stock hanger seems to be a different and closer in material and stiffness to the NSB ones...
    I notice the difference, still have one the old black hangers in the bin. Notice it on the newer AL rocker bolts too. Just repacked bearings and didn't have any problems like before. Still gets a softer knocking sound when unscrewing, nothing like the cracking sound fx with those older "butter" bolts.

mtbr member
    BTW another EG rider told me there is a diff in the hangers. The new ones available as spares places the rear dee in a slightly diff position. Forward and a tad lower which makes sense to me..given that some folks were having problems of the top jock hitting a 36 cog even when the b-screw is maxed out on certain frame.

Dunno about the V3 stock hangers now-- this was a V2 frame, stock hanger is the same as the V1s

Name:  22000.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  14.6 KB
    Last edited by anvil_den; 02-24-2013 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That actually makes a lot of sense. Even with the b limit screw at max i cannot get as close as i would like . Currently about 10mm away (i think sram specify about 6mm). Not had any problems with skipping etc (famous last words?) so guess it should be ok.