mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Current stock El Guapo build/first ride report

So I received my medium raw EG frame earlier this month from Titus USA. Today I took it out on its first ride on my 10 mile local loop that consists of a long uphill with a few rocky sections and some very steep spots and then a long down hill with some rock steps and chunk. The only thing the trail doesn't have is big drops or jumps. I have ridden it many times on my previous bike-a 2008 Marin Mt. Vision Pro 120mm with a Pushed Fox front and rear for comparison. I built the EG with some new parts and a few things robbed from the Marin. Here is my setup:

2012 Rockshox Lyric Air RC2 DH 170mm custom shim stack
    2012 Rockshox Monarch Plus shock-MM tune
    Kind Shock dropper post
    XTR long cage rear der and X9 front
    Grip Shifters
    Davinci 170mm cranks, sq taper BB 113mm, 22/34 chainrings, BBG bashguard
    Time ATAC alum pedals
    RaceFace Sixc carbon bars
    2008 XTR brakes with 180 mm rotors
    Light Bike carbon rims with Novatec fr hub, DT 240s rr hub
    Conti Trail King 2.2 UST BC, tubeless
    WTB Devo carbon saddle
    Cane Creek series 40 EC/ZS headset
    (I have not changed the rear rim or cut the steerer tube yet!)

Weight came in at 30 lbs even as it sits in the picture below.

The BB height measured 13.1" in linear hole and 13.25" in the progressive hole, which translates to zero drop and 1-2 mm above the axles respectively. The head angle came out at 66 degrees, measured with my iphone angle app. My Marin was 68.5 degrees so it was quite a difference. I weigh about 175lbs before gear and I set the front and rear sag at 25%.

Overall I was very happy with the ride. It was super plush in the small stuff and handled the steps and medium size chunk well. It did not do any sideways deflecting like my Marin would in the same stuff. Every time I went through the rough stuff it just handled it without any jack hammering or wallowing. I did the whole ride in the progressive shock setting. It felt really solid. It railed the buff downhill bermed hard-pack trail section like it was a slot car.

I never had any issue with the slack head angle while climbing whether it was smooth or bumpy. I think this surprised me the most because I was worried it would get a bit unstable going up slow steep sections. It didn't.

Ergonomically I felt very comfortable and the cockpit was similar to my Marin, I even used the same 60 mm stem. I may play with the stem height a bit by dropping it 2 mm before I finally cut the steerer tube, but nothing else.

For me the only thing I'm still unsure of is pedal striking and hitting the BB/bashguard. I'm already running 170mm cranks so I could go to 167.5 or 165 and if I did that I would get 29/22 chainrings (by going to a 98/58 5 arm setup). I'll need to ride some Sedona chunk to make the final decision on that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current stock El Guapo build/first ride report-cimg1163.jpg  

Huffy Rider
    You're welcome!