mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Which cranks for new ML?

So the bike will be here in a couple of weeks and I am trying to decide if I should go with the XT or Deus? Price isn't really an issue but not interested in lofty XTR prices. The "lifetime" warrenty on the Deus seems like an advantage but has anyone actually used it? I'm not going to be hucking this bike off anything on a regular basis...just looking for a durable, all-around crank (and light )

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    steveball23 - congrats on the new ML. I really like the Shimano XT. It is relatively light and it is very durable, stiff, easy maintenance, easy to install.

searcher
    I use a RF Ride, and I dont have a problem with it so far. I'd go with the Deus if I were you, it is nicer IMHO.

Anyway Mr Whafe has a Deus, I am sure he will post you a reply Asap.
    Kovi

ಠ_ಠ
    Here's a good thread on the subject.

mtbr member

Race Face

I've had Race Face Deus's on my last two bikes, I have only gone through one bearing and it was one of the first sets RF produced and they sent me a new one overnight. But the two strongest points I see over XT is that the finish is much more durable, mine are black and I went a whole season before I could see any wear, and that was only on the edges. The second strength is that replacement chainrings are much cheaper, although you could replace your shimanos with RF's as many people do.

Eyes:blue. Knuckles:white

Positive people live longer.

Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Here's a good thread on the subject.

Man did this turn ugly...

As a bit of a newbie, I'd been labouring under the misapprehension that MTBR was a land of positive, supportive people who were fired up by their sheer love of riding a bike and being out among nature, getting some exercise and being at one with a beautifully engineered piece of machinery...The Titus forum truly IS this Shangri-La.

Then I strayed into the Turner forum. Lordy! Not been there before, not going back.

Vivimos en el mundo hermoso.

XT seems pretty good apart from quick cosmetic wear on the crank arms and the rings don't look like they'll last very long - no big deal, replace with RF or FSA or Middleburn when the time comes.

My arm hurts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where is my mind?
    Just replaced the cranks on my ML. Used to ride RF Deus, but just switched to XT. I'm on the clyde side and the XT's just feel more solid IMO.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

the 36 year old grom
    I really like the XTs, I got them on both of my bikes. they are just real easy to set up. I think the race face look better but I had real issues setting up and repairing a set of atlas with ceased bearings. but.... that set of atlas is still chugging so i think the bearing issue is not the norm.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartie
    Man did this turn ugly...
    My arm hurts.
    stuartie- what the heck happened there?

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    stuartie- what the heck happened there?
    Took a slider at speed 50 yards from the end of a 10 hour race last weekend. Front tyre washed out at speed on a sharp left turn onto loose stones. One very deep, ragged and bloody hole in my forearm. 6 stitches and a lot of pain - off the bike for a while.

Good news is that the bike is fine, only my Kore titanium rear skewer got a bit mangled - I definitely came off worst.

searcher
    horroristic!!!
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies thus far, I am pretty sure I will go with the XT cranks. I found a set of '06 XT's for a "buy it now" price of $184.00 on ebay. This seems pretty good, can anyone fill me in on this price or point me in a better direction?

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by steveball23
    Thanks for the replies thus far, I am pretty sure I will go with the XT cranks. I found a set of '06 XT's for a "buy it now" price of $184.00 on ebay. This seems pretty good, can anyone fill me in on this price or point me in a better direction?
    Go for it. I just had mine installed for under $300.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

"El Whatever"
    Best choice, indecent price... I'm glad you snagged it so cheap!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ok so now I have come to another issue...the crank size . I am seeing that they come in 170 and 175mm sizes. I have always just ridden whatever came on the bike but can anyone help me determine which is the right size for me? I am 5'9 w/o shoes on and have roughly a 31in. inseam. I feel like this is common knowledge that I just don't know...thanks for the help!

"El Whatever"
    Ok so now I have come to another issue...the crank size . I am seeing that they come in 170 and 175mm sizes. I have always just ridden whatever came on the bike but can anyone help me determine which is the right size for me? I am 5'9 w/o shoes on and have roughly a 31in. inseam. I feel like this is common knowledge that I just don't know...thanks for the help!
    I'm as tall as you but have roughly 1" more of inseam... and I like the 175's better. I'm running 170 now and somehow they have never felt totally right.

But I can't help on explaining why or if that would be the best for you, to be honest.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just ride what you've been riding all along. The 170's will give you tighter circles which is great for climbing but I just move fwd to the nap of the seat which gives the illusion of tighter circles...... less leg extension than the normal riding position. I ride 175's and am only 5-4" w/29.5 inseam. Oh and as for cranks I vote Race Face. I just changed my middle and granny rings after 4 years I do change chains twice a year though, and the BB is also 4 yrs old and it's still smooooth. Note this is ISIS and not X
    When your girlfriends Mother french kisses you hello....Now that's friendly!

"Its All Good"
    SB23, as my dad says, "you long streak of wezzel p i s s" hence Whafe. I am 63 and ride 175 mm cranks.......... All good.

Funny story, when I purchased my Ellsworth Dare, got 175mm Saint cranks. They were all good. I then sold that frame and went to Race Face Diablos cranks, fantastic. When it came to selling the Saint cranks, I noticed that the LBS had put the left crank on which was 170mm and the right was 175mm. BASTIDS... But the funny thing was, no one ever felt it, not just me, many that canned that girl..........

Anyway, if it were me, I would go RF Deus... Only slightly seeing wear after a tonne of riding.............. Am not anti Shimano or anything, just think they are better cranks.........

In reality, it is all good kit....

Good luck, dont get one crank 175 and one at 170.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Hi SB23,

I'm 5'8" with 30/31" inseam and use 175mm XT cranks - feels perfect. I guess there is more leverage required to turn them than 170mm, and this will make it harder work on the steeps for the same gear, but you just get used to it (or use a lower gear!)

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartie
    Hi SB23,

I'm 5'8" with 30/31" inseam and use 175mm XT cranks - feels perfect. I guess there is more leverage required to turn them than 170mm, and this will make it harder work on the steeps for the same gear, but you just get used to it (or use a lower gear!)
    Unless I'm mistaken, should not that be the opposite? A longer crank will give you more torque and should allow you to climb easier everything else being equal.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Unless I'm mistaken, should not that be the opposite? A longer crank will give you more torque and should allow you to climb easier everything else being equal.

Yeah - you're right. Longer lever = less effort. Probably...

Sorry, it's been a long time since high-school physics!