mtbr member

Convert Switchblade to 5" travel?

I've got an 02 Switchblade and have it set up at the 100mm/ 4" travel with a Marz MX Pro eta on the front and a Fox Float RL on rear. Been thinking about either getting a new bike setup for somewhere in between an all mtn and FR. But I was also thinking about upgrading my SW to the long travel (5 or 5.7" whatever it is). I was wondering if anybody has done that and what they liked/ disliked? Also what is my options for forks and shocks? Thanks. DC
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving ~ Albert Einstein

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydc
    I've got an 02 Switchblade and have it set up at the 100mm/ 4" travel with a Marz MX Pro eta on the front and a Fox Float RL on rear. Been thinking about either getting a new bike setup for somewhere in between an all mtn and FR. But I was also thinking about upgrading my SW to the long travel (5 or 5.7" whatever it is). I was wondering if anybody has done that and what they liked/ disliked? Also what is my options for forks and shocks? Thanks. DC
    The reviews I've read in MBAction say the sweet spot is the way you have it set now.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Don't think so

I'd say do it! The Blade (I have the 5.25 links) is almost as good as the Motolite. I have both. Put a pushed Float or RP3 on the back and a Talas (or Revelation) up front and you would be good to go.

Chris

DNW
    mtbr member
    I have an 03 blade with the 5" rockers, and a float 130 up front. I have no complaints, all problems are rider related.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by DNW
    I have an 03 blade with the 5" rockers, and a float 130 up front. I have no complaints, all problems are rider related.
    Same here... actually, I'm starting to sort out the problems I had climbing this thing. I was using too low pressure at the shock and I made a measuring mistake... the AM1 was not down to 127mm but 137mm... so it's riding much higher than I thought.

The Switchblade is a kick-arse trailbike at 5 X 5. I still think the sweet spot is around 120-125mm (or around 500mm a2c).
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am happy with the 5.25 links on my 02 switchblade, even more so after taking it to Push Industries.

There *are* a couple drawbacks. The 02 retrofit 5.25 links do not line up with the schrader air fitting on Fox shocks. I believe the links were designed for the 5th Element. So you have to unbolt the shock to air it up. A bit of a PITA. but the Push'd shock holds air extremely well so once you get your sag dialed in it is rarely necessary.

I have not experienced this, but according to some earlier threads, at full compression with big tires you can get the tire rubbing the bottom shock mount. Do a search on "5.25 links" or "switchblade links"

Also in those earlier threads there was discussion about whether you get full travel, and the linkage is very progressive. Most rides don't seem to get the last 1/8th inch of shock stroke, unless there is a good sized drop off or jump

Have you checked if Titus currently has those links available?

mtbr member

I haven't checked with Titus.

I have not checked with Titus for the 5.25 links but I have seen that Speedgoat.com has them for $75. I'm still doing some research on what shock to get.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydc
    I have not checked with Titus for the 5.25 links but I have seen that Speedgoat.com has them for $75. I'm still doing some research on what shock to get.
    Just in case that you are interested on, I still having the 5.25" rockers as well as the Float R ProPedal (both brand new) that came with my ex-SB. When I bought it, I ordered a Float Talas rear shock (and the respective rockers) and only used that shock, so when I sold it, I kept both the original shock and rockers. Just PM me and we could arrange something.

PS: Not spamming, just trying "to help" a MTBR member ;-)