mtbr member

New question here. Confused on the racer-x?

Hi,

Currently, I ride a Intense Spider, which is a great bike, but I do not feel one with the bike. As many folks have stated and it appears to be correct, I feel like I am on top on the bike not in the bike. I am considering giving the racer-x a go. I do not have an opportunity to test ride one, unless I do a demo program, which I am considering, but their scheduling conflicts on both ends.

I am confused about aspects of the racer-x. My confusion stems from folks saying that it is an efficient pedaller, while other folks stating it will bob more than a VPP, but it will not be as plush as a VPP. One aspect that I do not like about the spider is vagueness with the pedals. There is a lack of connection, mushiness. I realize that mushiness is associated with the VPP, S-curve, and the sag, but I feel like I can not hammer on it. It hampers that extra push up the hill. Now, it the racer-x will bob and have a similar feeling, then I will settle with what I have- which is not bad, but not perfect.

I appreciate any thoughts on this...

Thanks

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    Hi,

Currently, I ride a Intense Spider, which is a great bike, but I do not feel one with the bike. As many folks have stated and it appears to be correct, I feel like I am on top on the bike not in the bike. I am considering giving the racer-x a go. I do not have an opportunity to test ride one, unless I do a demo program, which I am considering, but their scheduling conflicts on both ends.

I am confused about aspects of the racer-x. My confusion stems from folks saying that it is an efficient pedaller, while other folks stating it will bob more than a VPP, but it will not be as plush as a VPP. One aspect that I do not like about the spider is vagueness with the pedals. There is a lack of connection, mushiness. I realize that mushiness is associated with the VPP, S-curve, and the sag, but I feel like I can not hammer on it. It hampers that extra push up the hill. Now, it the racer-x will bob and have a similar feeling, then I will settle with what I have- which is not bad, but not perfect.

I appreciate any thoughts on this...

Thanks
    You should make that bike work first. seems like you don't have your fit right.

mtbr member

The bike fits:)!

The bike fits perfectly (saddle height, saddle position, reach, stem size, pressure, etc) it is the only thing that I am super anal retentive about in life...if you want numbers, I can provide a trillion on them - name what you want (I do not even have to measure them, I know them in my head)? Hence I would not ask this question if it did not fit correctly....

The VPP, especially the spiders, have loose rear ends and I did install a push mono-block which made the bike handle better (ie more connection) with the bike...

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    The bike fits perfectly (saddle height, saddle position, reach, stem size, pressure, etc) it is the only thing that I am super anal retentive about in life...if you want numbers, I can provide a trillion on them - name what you want (I do not even have to measure them, I know them in my head)? Hence I would not ask this question if it did not fit correctly....

The VPP, especially the spiders, have loose rear ends and I did install a push mono-block which made the bike handle better (ie more connection) with the bike...
    all titus bikes are very laterally stiff. you will not have to worry about a "loose rear end" but you will not get chain torque driven anti-bob or anti-squat. thus people that tend to shift thier weight around while they pedal will think they get pedal bob.

nm+
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    All, I know is that the RX is the best climber I've ever had FS or hardtail. The suspension moves while climbing, but I find that actually improves my climbing. Why I dunno.
    Definitly demo one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a Blur a few years ago and I was not impressed with the suspension. The Blur's rear end would always buck and would not stay on the ground. Perhaps I did not have it dialed in properly but I was just not impressed with the VPP suspension. I have had numerous bikes over the last several years and unequivically the Racer X 100 is my favorite bike. It the best climbing bike. It is quick and snappy, fast in the corners, great on descents. The suspension is reactive and sticks to the ground. It is a very impressive bike that I love to ride.

thats right living legend

Imho...

If one of your maine concerns is not feeling part of the bike, I suggest you give the RX a try. I've found a feeling of conection, to be a thing that all the Titus's I've tried share. I know the feeling of being on top the bike, and I hate it. I don't know how much "culture shock" your going to have comeing from vpp to a RX on a test ride, but I'm confident other than "that" you'll be very imppressed! You seem like a prime candadit to me...

mtbr member

There is a reason

..why this bike is one of the top picks year in and year out. The design is rock-solid and works. Note: I am a biased RX owner, but am amazed at how well the thing performs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I cannot say how a spider feels, but i owned a Santa Cruz Blur and now I own a racer x. The Blur definitely bobbed more while seated, especially in middle and big rings. The Blur was more plush than my racer x 100, but the Racer X definitely has better overall feel than the blur. The blur would kickback and slightly buck and lock out when breaking in the rough. My racer x does neither of these. going uphill i notice my racer x just soaks up any bumps, roots, or debris as im riding, all the while keeping my rear end planted. I miss the plushness of my blur, which is mainly due to half an inch more of rear wheel travel, but everything else overall is better on my X and its been the best bike ive ever owned. hope that helps!
    af73

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I was in the same boat

I have my Intense spider for sale. I went through the same dilema as you here is what I have determined in about a month of riding my Racer-x

I don't think you can find a faster FS climbing bike as far effeciency goes. Seem's like every pedal stroke you go foward with way less bob then the spider.

No brake jake with the racer-X

Real tight slow turns I give the nod to the spider when your almost trackstanding in the trees the spider seemend to track better maybe a shorter wheel base or TT, I ride a Medium.

Here where I'm still working on set-up and why I think the Racer-x is better bike. The rear shock if you read the owner manual say's you can set up sag from 3/8 of inch to 1/2 inch.

What that means to You is if you want your bike to feel like a hardtail no problem pump up the rear shock set the sag at 3/8 and you will have absoultly no bob. Disadvantge small bump complaint.

if you you want small bump compliance or are trail rider drop the the the air in the Rear shock and it will work like a full 4 inch trail bike and climbing will not suffer as much as you might think. The rubber 0-ring moves a little more but still a long rought course this might be an advantage. So set your racer-x up depending on where your riding. Spider you were stuck at 25% sag that's it!

The Racer-x is lateral stiff, on my spider I could get way with a Sid Team front fork-not much flex. I put it the same fork on racer-x and I couldn't hold hold line the Fork was flexing so much I cound't hold a line. racer- x is stiff. I put on reba world cup, Love it.

The most important difference is build quality, you can see it and most of all you can feel it.

here's a little article the MBA put on there website. http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=1670

mtbr member

Thanks for the input....

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for the input. I spoke with the local bike shop today about getting a racer-x and the wait time. I will follow-up when built up.

Thanks again