ಠ_ಠ

Bonking ... not feelin' well Comedy of Errors

So had two big rides planned this weekend with this local mountain bike group I've hooked-up with recently. The 1st ride on Saturday morning, Mt. Pinos, was pretty far north of me; about 70mi. But, for a great ride it's worth it.

I got up early, got my ass in gear and made the big drive up to the mountains. Unfortunately, the google map that the mtb group posted up on their website was incorrect. There I was waiting at the wrong spot for about 20min - just waiting... alone... and after a few choice words, I had no choice but to get back in my car and drive another 70mi home.

Next morning was another big ride, 35mi drive. This time I typed the wrong coordinates into my gps. By the time I realized my mistake it was too late to get to the trail head... and after a few choice words I had no choice but to get back in my car and drive another 35mi home..

Being that this was my last chance to ride this week I decided to find another ride to do. I found a new promising trail, Strawberry Peak in the San Gabriel Mountains. Downloaded the ride into my GPS and started out on another 37mi drive up to the mountains.

The ride started off pretty well, very narrow, rocky and challenging start. I noticed that my rear end was feeling extra plush and just when I started to wonder if my shock needed some air, I realized my rear tire was going flat! I got a puncture last weekend and even though the Stan's was holding air, the pressure of my riding on the tire must have re-opened the "wound". I guess I should carry a tube and pump, but I've had such good luck with UST + Stan's, I've just gotten out of the habit. Might have to revisit that practice. I ended up having to walk back...and after a few choice words I had no choice but to get back in my car and drive another 37mi home.

After nearly 300mi of driving, about $60 in gasoline, I ended up riding about a mile.

thats right living legend
    Geeez that SUUUCKS Mang! I had a flat yesterday too! I hadn't been able to ride much at all lately cause of my fork "partially" but I got my old TALAS out of retirment and gave her a go. Needless to say I got a flat about 4 or five miles out and had to huff it all the way back. I found a perfectly folded up tub along the way and thought I may be in luck after fillig it with air but as soon as I mounted it psssssst! Neddless to say I had a few choice words and ressumed my hike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    .... about $60 in gasoline, I ended up riding about a mile.
    so your getting about 0.053 miles per gallon...

i hope your knolly does better than that

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    bummer, duly.... guess the old "always carry a spare tube and pump" never dies... I always do... every time I try not to do it.. I get bitten in the ass... it's just Murphy's law I guess

Paper or plastic?
    That's a tough series you went through. Basically, you've reached rock bottom, it can only get better from there on.

Not carrying a tube, that's really a rookie mistake...
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

"El Whatever"
    Dude, that really sucks... I can feel it, bro!

My rides have not been as often and as long as I'd like either... Oh, well... Let's just stay in shape for when we enter retirement and be able to ride all day, everyday.

Bummer on the tube... That's why I ride with tubes IN my tyres...
    (I also carry a spare... but last spare I had was a punctured, removed one... )

Yesterday I came to terms with my AM1 again... It was feeling sucky and the ETA was not working... Well, I gave her some TLC and it rewarded me with N-I-C-E performance!! Butta!!
    Check my Site

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Why....

Didn't you just have a nice ride by-yourself? That is unless you couldn't find the either trail head without local knowledge. I know if I would have driven that far for a day ride I would have tried like hell to salvage some sort of ride.

And please, I don't mean any disrespect.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    Didn't you just have a nice ride by-yourself? That is unless you couldn't find the either trail head without local knowledge. I know if I would have driven that far for a day ride I would have tried like hell to salvage some sort of ride.

And please, I don't mean any disrespect.

Regards,

EndUser
    good question, and none taken.

I didn't know where to the ride even started. By the time I got back home on Saturday I was so disappointed that I just wasn't up for the same old. And, I figured I'd just make up for it with my big Sunday ride.

Sunday, again; didn't know the trail. So I had to go back home to find one. Which I did. Only to end up with the flat that ended the tale.