Thread: Comeback

mtbr member
    May 2006

Comeback

So, I parked my 2006 ML early in 2010. Found it in my basement this winter, put on all the new parts I did buy in 2010 and started to do some biking again. Oh man, how could I be without riding for all those years?
    I havent done any reading in those years and found out that my bike that was "relevant" in 2009 has moved over to the classic category now.
    The need for something new is haunting me but first, how outdated is my ML compared to new bikes? Is geometry totallly changed? Do it still hold up?
    What about Titus? I see the new frames is low on price, has Titus moved out from the boutique segment and become a "regular" bike now after change of ownership? How does the FTM compare to how the ML was back in 2006/2007?

mtbr member
    The ML had a pretty steep HA (70) for a five inch bike as well as a high BB, that being said I still see quite a few on the trail. I dont think the FTM ever really lived up to the ML. The EG has a slacker HA and lower BB which is the way modern trail bike geometry has evolved. The ML used to be a bit top heavy due to the BB and tall front end which caused it to wander on steep climbs, the EG is a much better climber even with the slacker HA. The new owners of Titus have moved to a consumer direct marketing model, cutting out the middle man which means one less person to mark up the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm looking for a new trailbaike but I think EG is little to much for me. And I think 650b is the way to go. I would like to buy another Titus but seems like I have to look at other brands to find what I want.
    Regarding ML and climbing; I agree. I have to be very active while climbing - shifting weight back and forth to prevent the front wheel lifting and at the same time have grip on the rearwheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got an 08 Motolite and am in much the same position. I have to say though after demoing a few bikes I found myself making a few adjustments to the ML and am loving it as much as ever. We've got a big demo day coming up at Labor Day, have to see if anything knocks my socks off then.

Here's my earlier thread on the same topic:

Moving on from my Motolite

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Motolite's still a great bike. I passed mine down to my son, having purchased a newer frame with the "lower-and-slacker" philosophy for myself (a 5 spot). Honestly...for the Midwest trails I ride, I really miss the high bottom bracket and razor sharp steering of the Moto; I'm constantly whacking pedals on roots n rocks and big chainring gets hung up on every log roll.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    May 2006

RE: Comeback

Panchosdad, what kind of adjustment?
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_247 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henryreardan View Post
    I'm looking for a new trailbaike but I think EG is little to much for me. ....
    Thing is the EG would still be one of the more versatile bike that can be built up light and is right up there with trail bikes or heavy and go more aggressive should you one day decide to tinker or start riding other stuff but not ready to commit into buying yet another burly bike to do the job.
    Cheers Den

mtbr member
    I'm looking for a new trailbaike but I think EG is little to much for me. And I think 650b is the way to go.

el Guapo solves the problems fighting the Moto-lite and brings them up to modern spec.. especially the weak headtube area on ML.

A lot of people riding ML shy away thinking travel is too much, honestly that is not the case. Most the parts I swapped over from the moto. After owning the ML you know it's all about properly tuning the fork and shock. There are soo many light forks to choose from now a days, just have to do a little research.

Far as 27.5" wheels.. if only EG had them.. and 83mm bottom bracket too! : D

mtbr member
    Agreed. You can build up an EG any way you like it, light or FR tough. Some body needs to try a 650B conversion, I stuck a friends 650B rear wheel in my V2 and it did fit, there was like a 1/16" of clearance at full compression with a 2.25 NN on the rear, you could shim the shock to not use the last 1/4" of stroke and put on a 150mm 650B fork. Unfortunately my EG will be parted out soon to fund a new Planet X Dirty Harry., hardtail for XC racing, that seems to be the only type of riding I do anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Panchosdad, what kind of adjustment?
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_247 using Board Express
    A little more air in the shock, moved the seat forward, and started using the lockout on the front fork and PP on the shock more when climbing. Allows me to keep the shock pressure nice and plush for downhills but it's climbing much better.

Only took me 5 years to figure this out!