Bike to the Bone...

Coil shock for ML: DHX 5.0 or Swinger 4-Way?

Hi, I'm pretty set up on buying a DHX 5.0 coil for my ML. I asked Titus which spring to get, and I got a good answer. They also suggested that I could look at Manitou Swinger 4-way coil. I don't think they put it to say that it's better or something, just giving me some options to consider.

What would be the advantages of each one? thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Three reasons:

1- DHX-C can be Push'd but not the Swinger
    2- DHX is lighter
    3- I'm going to put one on my new ML, so if I screw it up, I won't be alone

Seriously, I have read as much as I can about DHX-C (and Swinger) and one of the main advantages for DHX seems to be that platform (ProPedal) could be adjusted without affecting all the travel compression damping, which is what seems to happen with Swinger. So, you can modify the damper curve in a more freely way (I don't know if this is the right way to say it). Fox says that Botton out, general damping (affected by BV pressure) and ProPedal controls are all decoupled (not really, but you can re-adjust any control once you have adjusted any other one) and so, you can tune the shock the way you like better. However, this is just something that I've read, but I have no real experience (hand on) with it.

I guess that we both could share experiences regarding DHX-C performance (on ML) soon!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavinho
    Three reasons:

1- DHX-C can be Push'd but not the Swinger
    2- DHX is lighter
    3- I'm going to put one on my new ML, so if I screw it up, I won't be alone

Seriously, I have read as much as I can about DHX-C (and Swinger) and one of the main advantages for DHX seems to be that platform (ProPedal) could be adjusted without affecting all the travel compression damping, which is what seems to happen with Swinger. So, you can modify the damper curve in a more freely way (I don't know if this is the right way to say it). Fox says that Botton out, general damping (affected by BV pressure) and ProPedal controls are all decoupled (not really, but you can re-adjust any control once you have adjusted any other one) and so, you can tune the shock the way you like better. However, this is just something that I've read, but I have no real experience (hand on) with it.

I guess that we both could share experiences regarding DHX-C performance (on ML) soon!
    Hi, look what was waiting 4 me today!
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Very cool.

Here is a link from the Turner board that has some blow by blow on the operation and adjustability of the DHX, along with a link to a Fox site that gives some good pointers on how the DHX works.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Very cool.

Here is a link from the Turner board that has some blow by blow on the operation and adjustability of the DHX, along with a link to a Fox site that gives some good pointers on how the DHX works.
    Thanks! I think that I might take some rides to tune it in, but I'll guess they'll be fun. I just need to know wich coil to use. The shock came with a 500lbs coil, Titus recomended 600-650, but fox 700-750. Since they were not expensive, I ordered a 600 and a 700 to see which one will fit better. I think that I might end up using the 600 lbs rather than the 700, but I can try them!

See ya!

banned
    Remember: Don't cycle the shock without at least 80 psi in the chamber. Supposedly doing so would destroy the damper.

Bike to the Bone...
    Remember: Don't cycle the shock without at least 80 psi in the chamber. Supposedly doing so would destroy the damper.
    You mean don't compress the shock without at least 80 psi? When I change the coil, I should check that at least there is 80 psi?

Thanks!

Bike to the Bone...
    Whew! I thought changing coil was a hard job. Pretty easy, though. I can hardly wait to pick my bike!

Bike to the Bone...
    Another Q. I don't know if I can measure this, but I kinda feel like the eyelets are not paralel, like they're a little twisted. I think I can rotate them, but what should I do? If they're rotated, it's not too much.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Another Q. I don't know if I can measure this, but I kinda feel like the eyelets are not paralel, like they're a little twisted. I think I can rotate them, but what should I do? If they're rotated, it's not too much.

Not a problem. Just twist back into place.
    Long Live Long Rides

banned
    You mean don't compress the shock without at least 80 psi? When I change the coil, I should check that at least there is 80 psi?

Thanks!
    Yup, check it out first. You don't want a blown damper, although I don't know what would actually blow. I know from the animation there are two chambers opposing each other in operation.

It's a great shock in its stock form. Getting it adjusted is kind of complicated and takes time, but once it is, you are rewarded. Coils have no equal for rear shocks.

Lay off the Levers
    EDIT: Darren explains it far better than I ever could:

Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    ...Jm, as for the minimum psi, I agree that riders probably shouldn't go below 100psi in their dampers.

Quote(.jm):
    The air has a piston behind it and that seperates the oil from the air, basically keeping it pressurized and allowing it to "expand" when needed. When you go BELOW that pressure, oil can leak past the piston and air gets into the oil, this requires the shock to be sent back to the manufacturer (stratos, progressive, manitou, fox...) to be fixed

Actually the pressure behind the IFP (Internal Floating Piston), is what keeps the oil pressurized around the pistons and valves in order to maintain consistent damping. As the shock compresses, the piston rod displaces fluid into the reservoir and compresses the air volume below the IFP. On extension of the rod, the IFP is drawn back up. The IFP volume always moves proportionately to the piston rod volume. If the pressure behind the IFP is too low, than you take the chance of the IFP not moving at the same rate and an air pocket forming in front of the IFP in the oil chamber. Once the air pocket is formed, it's all down hill from there and you risk the chance of catistrophic failure.

Later,

Darren Murphy
    Push Industries
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 08-10-2006 at 08:36 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bike to the Bone...
    Here's a pic of the DHX on the ML.. I just installed and the instalation went pretty smooth. Now I have to test it on a trial and tune it

Now the only thing left to do is install the 8" rotor...
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats right living legend

You Are Officially Hard Core...

[QUOTE=rzozaya1969][FONT=Verdana]Here's a pic of the DHX on the ML.. I just installed and the instalation went pretty smooth. Now I have to test it on a trial and tune
    [
    Now the only thing left to do is install the 8" rotor

That looks really sweet Rzoz. Can't waite for the ride report...

Bike to the Bone...
    [quote=blackagness]
    [font=Verdana]Here's a pic of the DHX on the ML.. I just installed and the instalation went pretty smooth. Now I have to test it on a trial and tune
    [
    Now the only thing left to do is install the 8" rotor

That looks really sweet Rzoz. Can't waite for the ride report...
    Me 2. I really want to try it, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to ride tomorrow, my sister just gave birth to her baby yesterday, and I don't know what we'll be doing. I'll post whenever I get a chance to ride

thats right living legend

Thats Cool...

[QUOTE=rzozaya1969]
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness

Me 2. I really want to try it, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to ride tomorrow, my sister just gave birth to her baby yesterday, and I don't know what we'll be doing. I'll post whenever I get a chance to ride

Congrats on the new niece/nephew.

I'm diggen the blue chainstay protector, BTW...

Bike to the Bone...
    [quote=blackagness]

Congrats on the new niece/nephew.

I'm diggen the blue chainstay protector, BTW...
    Thanks

I got to carry for a while my niece... it was pretty nice to be able to hold her.

searcher

We the people ...

This DHX looks pretty f....ing cool.
    Leave the family now, we are waiting for that ride report!!
    Whats the weight penalty that you had to pay swapping your shock?
    Does it fit in the Small ML? I read swhere that it doesnt.....
    Kovi

banned
    Here's a pic of the DHX on the ML.. I just installed and the instalation went pretty smooth. Now I have to test it on a trial and tune it

Now the only thing left to do is install the 8" rotor...
    Same here. I've been waiting on mine for a while now. Curious to see what it gives vs. what it takes from the quality of the brakes, since I'm mostly an XC rider that heads to rocky territories.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    This DHX looks pretty f....ing cool.
    Leave the family now, we are waiting for that ride report!!
    Whats the weight penalty that you had to pay swapping your shock?
    Does it fit in the Small ML? I read swhere that it doesnt.....
    No, it doesn't. Small ML uses a 6.5x1.5 shock, which is not available as a DHX, either Coil or Air; the smaller available size (at least as a OEM) is 7.5x2.0

searcher
    Same here. I've been waiting on mine for a while now. Curious to see what it gives vs. what it takes from the quality of the brakes, since I'm mostly an XC rider that heads to rocky territories.
    I used a Hayes with 6" rotors in front, then I swapped to Avid Juicy 7 with 8" rotors. I am sure its not only the size , but braking improoved a lot with the Avids. I love them, and I will never go back to smaller rotors.
    Kovi

Bike to the Bone...
    hehe, me too, I'm mostly XC, don't do any crazy stuff, but I'm trying to learn

I did a small ride today, and I'm going to post my impressions on a new post.