mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Coil & Oil for Racer-X??

I've got a very nice racer-x currently with Float on both ends. My problem is no matter how I tweak it, I CAN'T GET THE COIL FEEL I LOVE!! !! Didn't even know it was such a difference till this bike, all previous suspenders have been coil/oil.

There's just no replacement for the feel. Anyone else have coils on their Racer-X? How'd you like it? what setup? Suggestions for fork and shock?

I've looked at Vanillas at both ends but the reviews here on mtbr ain't so hot...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by acroy
    I've got a very nice racer-x currently with Float on both ends. My problem is no matter how I tweak it, I CAN'T GET THE COIL FEEL I LOVE!! !! Didn't even know it was such a difference till this bike, all previous suspenders have been coil/oil.

There's just no replacement for the feel. Anyone else have coils on their Racer-X? How'd you like it? what setup? Suggestions for fork and shock?

I've looked at Vanillas at both ends but the reviews here on mtbr ain't so hot...

Mmmmhhhh... Nice question.

I would guess the Racer-X is tuned for an air shock and putting a coil in there will make the bike to blow thru the travel way too quick, making it to bottom out with ease. Looks like you'd need a 5th Element Coil or Fox DHX to control bottom out. Yet, you'll still blow thru the travel of the thing.

Up front, I would pick a Zoke Marathon XC (or whatever their name is for '07). They're coil-air hybrids that have a very nice feel. Plusher and as linear as my Phaon coiler. I have the AM1 though.

That said... I'd send the shock to Push Industries before shelling out some serious cash for a coil shock.

Also, contact Titus on how the warranty stuff goes is you put a coil-over on a Racer-X.

BTW... Almost all shock or forks use oil for damping. Air, hybrid or coil all of them do. Only exceptions are the Noleens, some Cane Creek shocks but the Double Barrel and I guess some White forks. The rest of the field use oil for damping.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the response!
    I must admit i'm never sure what "blow through the travel" on a coil shock means; to me it means the preload is too soft or compression damping too low.
    see pic attached.... it's meant to illustrate the new Big S's attempts to make air act like coil, but gives a good picture of what air feels like to me (soft, then whack! at the end of travel) vs coil (nice and progressive)
    Attached Images Attached Images