Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Clydsdale on a Motolite?

I am in the process of moving to VA and am wanting to get back into MTBing. After reading a lot of forums/magazines/internet reviews, etc., one of my top choices is a Titus Motolite...was thinking of getting the 07 complete bike kit.

Is that a good choice for a Clydsdale that has been out of biking for 25 years?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber_hawke

I am in the process of moving to VA and am wanting to get back into MTBing. After reading a lot of forums/magazines/internet reviews, etc., one of my top choices is a Titus Motolite...was thinking of getting the 07 complete bike kit.

Is that a good choice for a Clydsdale that has been out of biking for 25 years?
    I weigh 226 but I was 235 when I got my Motolite in February. The RP23 feels great. I have a Talas RL on the front which I also like. I have the RP23 set at the recommended 25% and I only manage to bottom it out on 2+ foot drops to flat. I really depends on your expectations of durability, riding style and weight. My wife has a 2007 complete. The wheels are quite beefy and I think that you would be fine with most of the components but I would suggest immediately upgrading the stem and possibly the headset. They are fine for the light guys but I would not trust them for a clyde. Once you get a taste of Titus goodness, you will be riding so much that you won't remain a Clyde for long

the 36 year old grom
    i'm 230. no probs with my large ML. but keep in mind that the small and Xsmall MLs are very different from the Med and Large ML. unlike most manufactures, titus changes the suspension of the smaller bikes to be compatible with lighter riders. the large/med has a 2 inch stroke shox and the smalls have a 1.5 inch stroke shock. this changes the leverage ratio. low leverage for the heavy guys high leverage for the lighter riders. all part of why titus is a cut above.

soo the med and large are a great choice for a heavy guy. but if you are short and a clyde its best to avoid the small MLs.

T m ar meisce.
    I am 240lbs ride weight and my large ML handles that just fine. The thing I will point out is that if you are a taller clyde you might want to try before you buy. I LOVE the suspension on my MotoLite. It is smooth and soaks up a lot of bumps. I did however find that the geometry of this bike was just not for me (75" tall 35" inseam). In order to be comfortable I need a setback post and a 120mm stem. This led to all kinds of issues for me, especially on steep climbs. I tried for about 1500 miles of riding to set the bike up where it worked for me but to no avail. I recently switched to another frame and could not be happier.

My point is not to bash the ML but to point out that you need to consider much more than your weight. You may have already done that but your OP does not mention it. At this point I am sure there will be a legion of posters taller and heavier than me saying the issue is me and not the ML. Bottom line is -- If the ML fits your body type overall then I would argue that there are not many if any better bikes out there but they are of course not for everyone.

Good luck and welcome back to MTB.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm 220 on a medium Moto Lite

I find the frame stiff. Moto Lite is a great choice

Welcome back to dirt

dog
    sit! stay!
    if you would be on a small frame or less the leverage ratio is greater than for the medium or large frame...

so if you get a small the RP23 may not be enough...

just something to consider...

mtbr member
    Actually, I am 5'9" and weigh around 260lbs. I need to get the gut off as that is where most of the beer and pizza found a home. I guess that a medium frame is what I need, can you make any changes in the suspension? The only place that I have found that handles TITUS is competition bikes. Any suggestions where I might look?

T m ar meisce.
    Then I would say ML =
    Also I would contact Biker Bob before you buy anything, you can find him here on the forum
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    bikerbob.com call or email Bob

Red Barn Bicycles call or email Chad

Mendon Cyclesmith

I'm 5'8 on a medium with 30" inseam. I'm happy as All Mountain in a Pizza Pie !~!

mtbr member

where to get your MotoLite

Hey Big Guy !

I give the thumbs up to Bikerbob - hell look after you and might even swap some bits around from a ML complete to suit you better.

the 36 year old grom
    one thing to consider.... this is just general advice.

but maybe you should focus on finding the right bike shop, then see what they can get you in regards to a bike. its actually kinda hard to find the right shop. good shops are few and far between. and you might not find the best deal, but the right shop can really help you in this transition period. the important thing is that you go ride.

and this is how you know you found the right shop....

the right shop will know the local trails, they will have group rides. they will be doing trail maintinace, they will let you sign up for trail maintinace or tell you where you can sign up. I highly recomend trail maintinace. get out there with a shovel and burn some calories.

---------------------------------->

i got run over by a car on my mountain bike about 12 years ago. stopped riding for 8 years after that.

I was lucky and guys I worked with were really into mountain bikes and took me under their wing. helped me back to the good life , so they knew the trails, they had the experience to keep me on the right path. so a good bike shop was not needed. but I was lucky.

RHRF!

I'm 220 buck naked...

... (sorry for that mental image) and probably 250 with all my gear on. Having a blast on my Med ML.

Dang, I never knew that this forum was so full of super-sized ML riders...

Mass x Gravity = SPEED!

RHRF! (Ride Hard, Ride Fat!)??
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member

Inseam length

Oh, I didn't mention that my inseam length is a 28 1/2, the last bike fit that I did (on the internet) said the ideal standover height shold be 26.8 to 27.3...I noticed that the medium is 28.5.....is that really a problem, or am I just going to have a tight fit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Oh, I didn't mention that my inseam length is a 28 1/2, the last bike fit that I did (on the internet) said the ideal standover height shold be 26.8 to 27.3...I noticed that the medium is 28.5.....is that really a problem, or am I just going to have a tight fit?
    you may already know this.... bike inseams are measured right up nice and cosy all the way to the floor... and even more realistic with your favourite bike shoes on. The Moto Lite has one of the lower standovers per frame size in the industry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    ... (sorry for that mental image) and probably 250 with all my gear on. Having a blast on my Med ML.

Dang, I never knew that this forum was so full of super-sized ML riders...

Mass x Gravity = SPEED!

RHRF! (Ride Hard, Ride Fat!)??
    Ride Hard, Ride Fat

30 pounds of gear ... impressive.

Ride Heavy, Ride Fast

mtbr member

Hooked up with Bike Bob

Well, thanks for the advice. I have hooked up with Biker Bob and he is putting together a Titus Motolite set up for a clydsdale. He really is knowledgeable about Titus and MTB in general and seems to be asking all the right questions. So thanks again and when I hear back from him, I will post his suggestions and see what you all think.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ---WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Well, thanks for the advice. I have hooked up with Biker Bob and he is putting together a Titus Motolite set up for a clydsdale. He really is knowledgeable about Titus and MTB in general and seems to be asking all the right questions. So thanks again and when I hear back from him, I will post his suggestions and see what you all think.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ---WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!!"
    Congratulations cyber_hawke

Can't wait to see the Biker Bob creation... there are always a treat .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am also looking at a motolite, coming off a medium Intense 5.5. I am 200 lbs. 29 inch inseam and 5' 10"tall. The Intense just seemed to big soooo a small or medium motolite is next, I am leaning towards a small but the mention of shock length has me concerned. Any info on this topic would be awesome!!! Thanks, Rich

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR
    I am also looking at a motolite, coming off a medium Intense 5.5. I am 200 lbs. 29 inch inseam and 5' 10"tall. The Intense just seemed to big soooo a small or medium motolite is next, I am leaning towards a small but the mention of shock length has me concerned. Any info on this topic would be awesome!!! Thanks, Rich
    A medium is recommended for the top tube length as you must have a long torso.

What is the distance from the centre of the bottom bracket to your seat rails on the 5.5 ?~? I'm 5'8 on a medium and my distance is 643 mm (25.3") which is 19.25" seat tube plus a touch over 6" from top of seat tube to centre of seat rails.

Basically with a Thomson Elite post I can drop it 5" ....

or custom Exogrid

ಠ_ಠ
    you guys think a coil-over is better for a heavy rider?

mtbr member

Biker Bob

Dont know if this helps, but Biker Bob did tell me that the Motolite Kit comes with a suspension that is rated at over 300lbs.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Joint Strike Force Motolite

Just to clarify-the RP2 on the rear of the Motolite is rated up to 300#, so 260 is within spec.
    This is an interesting project because the bike has to suit Cyber Hawke at his current weight and shape, and in the future. I think his goal is to fit in the cockpit of the new F35 fighter he's working on, as well as tackle tougher, longer trails.
    Working within the parameters of age, weight, and budget, I'm starting with a Motolite Complete, upgrading to Talas RLC in front, RP23 in back, and XT Rhynolite wheels.
    Saddle, grips, and tires to be determined.
    I know many people have suggestions, so feel free. Keep in mind that this bike is made to get the rider back in the game and back in shape. Not racing or freeriding just yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Is the RP23 rate at 300 PSI or for a 300 Lb rider?

I have a large ML complete with the RP23 and weigh 230 lbs + gear and run the shock at 180 PSI to get the 20% sag (and it rides nice).

PS - Biker Bob I am loving the bike I bought from you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    Just to clarify-the RP2 on the rear of the Motolite is rated up to 300#, so 260 is within spec.
    This is an interesting project because the bike has to suit Cyber Hawke at his current weight and shape, and in the future. I think his goal is to fit in the cockpit of the new F35 fighter he's working on, as well as tackle tougher, longer trails.
    Working within the parameters of age, weight, and budget, I'm starting with a Motolite Complete, upgrading to Talas RLC in front, RP23 in back, and XT Rhynolite wheels.
    Saddle, grips, and tires to be determined.
    I know many people have suggestions, so feel free. Keep in mind that this bike is made to get the rider back in the game and back in shape. Not racing or freeriding just yet.
    Bikerbob, is the RP23 better that much better than the RP2? I demoed a ML complete last weekend and came away really disappointed - I really wanted the ML! The bike just felt harsh and rough. The bike was medium - I am 6'1 with a 34 inch inseam - so I might have been better off on a large.

So, would a better shock have helped the ride? The bike shop put 170 lbs of air in the shock, and by the ML database here, should be in the ballpark for my weight (~195 lbs).

Should I try another demo?

mtbr member
    good call on the rhynolite's... Bikerbob knows his crap, and you will most certainly be in good hands. I reccommend the XT hollowtech cranks for Clydes- my 240lb dad has hammered his for about two years now without any serious issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast