Thread: Clunky Blade

mtbr member
    May 2004

Clunky Blade

Hey guys,
    Have been riding my Switchblade up here in Minni. I started getting this kinda small clunky feeling in the back. For the life of me I can't figure out where it is coming from. Warp, how did your 5th Element die? When I go home to Colorado and then return I am going to bring back an RP3 to test out on it. What does having bad linkages feel like? Everything bolt and nut is tight back there. Any other suggestions I should look into?

Chris

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Hey guys,
    Have been riding my Switchblade up here in Minni. I started getting this kinda small clunky feeling in the back. For the life of me I can't figure out where it is coming from. Warp, how did your 5th Element die? When I go home to Colorado and then return I am going to bring back an RP3 to test out on it. What does having bad linkages feel like? Everything bolt and nut is tight back there. Any other suggestions I should look into?

Chris

I'm haveing similar issues at the moment. Think it must be time for a rebuild, but any other alternatives would be much preferred.

Middle/begining of summer don't want 2 weeks off the bike.

"El Whatever"
    Chris, bummer news to hear your problems.

My 5th died with no warning. Actually while the shock was not being used. It happens, there are parts inside subject to pressure and eventually they will fail. I just didn't expected to be so soon on my 5th.

My 5th lost all damping. I could see oil rings on the shaft, which as you know, is not typical for a 5th. If I put any pressure on the IFP chamber, the shock gets the stuckdown. Also, you can hear the oil hissing and bubbling inside the shock.

However, there's a point where you can adjust the rebound dial, with pressure in the IFP, and get it to work. It feels like crap, but it works! Surreal. Anyway, is blown. Progressive told it's an o-ring.

The only problems I can think of are:

- Something broken as in something in the frame cracked (ver, very unlikely, but worth taking a look)
    - Toasted bearings.

Pull off the shock and cycle the suspension a few times. If ain't feel smooth, you have to replace one or more of the bearings.

Have you greased your HL pivots?

Keep us posted, bro!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It sounds like slightly worn shock reducers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Hey guys,

Chris
    Do you get this slight clunk when you lift the seat? From what I remember the Switchblades went through reducers pretty quickly. Not sure if the 5th element has the same type of setup as the fox shocks though.

Good luck,
    Dave

thats right living legend

Idea! Greasing The HL Pivots

[QUOTE=Warp]Chris, bummer news to hear your problems.

Have you greased your HL pivots?

Keep us posted, bro![/QUOTE

Now that migt be just the ticket!

Good tip either way...Thanks Warp!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had something similar going on with my ML. OnTheMoment identified and solved it for me. The left Horst bushing wasn't seated perfectly and needed re-pressed; he used a C clamp on it. Worth trying.

Tonight we ride.
    The reducers are probably fine, unless it's been going on for a long time. It's likely the lower bushing that's worn, which the reducers contact. I use a polymer bushing and one piece reducer, which lasts a lot longer than the two piece ones with a coated metal bushing. Every SB should have it.
    Last edited by fonseca; 06-30-2006 at 03:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Chris97021,

Did you ever locate the problem??

I've had to replace the bushings/reducers about once a year on my '04 since I got it. The quick way to test for this is to lift the back end of the seat, and if you can feel the click/pop then it's definitely the bushings. If it's real soft, I've even sometimes had to lift on the seat and push down on the rear tire... From what I got from Fox and Titus, it's not an emergency type repair. The pop will just get worse for a while til it drives you crazy!! :-)

On another note. I just replaced my bushings and reducers last week. I expected all popping noises to be resolved, but there is still a click/pop in the shock!! It appears that the popping is only right at the beginning of the shock travel, and I can recreate it either fully pressurized at 200lbs, or empty, doesn't matter I still get the pop. This TALAS Shock was rebuilt in Feb. by Fox, so I don't think it could be a routine maint. issue.

Any Ideas?? REALLY don't want to send the shock to the black hole (FOX) for 4-6 weeks in the middle of the summer! I'd drive it up to PUSH, but this is the one shock PUSH won't touch. (Too many small parts).

mtbr member
    May 2004

Seatpost

I kinda think my problem was with the seatpost. The gravity dropper has a tiny little bit of inherent wiggle. Overtime it gets a little bigger. I guess I hadn't changed the 2 bolts in awhile so that seems to have solved the problem. I haven't been riding the bike that much but I think that might have been it.

Bearings, bushings, pivots - anybody got any pics of changing them. I'm always looking to do more maintenance on the bike myself and this may be the next step. Does the Motolite and the Switchblade have the same ones. Don't think I have had any problems with them so far. When I took the shock off of the Blade and cycled the suspension it seems to be very smooth with the last little bit giving off a tiny little squeek. Is that a problem?

Chris