mtbr member
    Aug 2009

carbon X questions

Hey:

I'm trying to convice myself to replace my large Intense Spider XVP with a Titus X Carbon. I do enough racing to think shedding some weight would be worth the investment. I like the idea of a bit more than 100mm of travel, so I'm intrigued by running 120 on the X. Though Titus has a new owner, I've heard that the carbon frames have not been reliable, but did not find solid evidence one way or another searching this forum. Any concensus regarding durablity?

mtbr member
    I've been riding a 2008 Carbon Racer X for 2 years with no problems. I have no idea what the differences are between my model and the Carbon X to be honest, but I bet someone on the forum can help out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The 2009 Titus X frames suffered from seat stay failures where the carbon meets the dropouts. From what I have heard the 2010's were redesigned and modified but I personally can't vouch for their integrity. So in good conscience I can't recommend the purchase of a 2010 Carbon X. With that being said I recommend checking out the Specilized Epic which is a knock off design of the Titus Racer-X design. Try to find one that uses the Fox RP23 shock as Specilized in house shocks and forks have been disappointing in their durability and tunability. Hopefully now that On-One has purchased Titus they will come out with a new "race hardened" Racer-X for 2011.