Orthodox Veloist

We the people ... The Carbon Rockstar can last, my body cannot.

I took the fabled Titus Carbon Rockstar out last weekend for the High Cascades 100 race. I have never done a Century ride and never ridden in beautiful Bend, OR. So, I have been "training" for this event all summer. The hardest part of training for a 100 mile race is finding the time in between work and family life (side note: riding your MTB 100 miles is a little over kill).

Ready for race day.

I added bar ends just to give my hands a different position over the long haul. Didn't realize how much I missed them since the late 90's. Glad I kept a pair hidden in a box.

Flat bars and shorty stem make riding more fun by the way. I am evolving as a rider. next up going back to flat light pedals, giving up clipless.

A 29er tube fits in between the frame, which came in handy since I flatted twice. Luckily the second time was at the aid station.

I kept the Rubena on the rear and tossed a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 on the front. Seemed like a great combo, as I was able to descend fast and catch people.

My rear bottle holder broke during the race, so I had to find some duct tape at mile 70 aid station. Thanks to aid volunteers.

Here are some pics from the pro photogs they had on the course:

In the morning having a blast. Really amazing trails in Bend. Like Colorado but with less elevation.

After aid station 1, not liking life but moving on. (a flat and tire bead malfunction can do that)

About mile 70, by Lava Lake, having fun again.

Hooray! finished.

Total time 12 hours and 42 minutes, i am not the fastest monkey. I accomplished the main goal which was finishing in under 16 hours. Man, my bum hurt...but enjoyed half a pizza and some Descutes beer at the finish!

Deschutes Brew growler for the finnishers. Woot!

The Carbon Rockstar is at the Portland warehouse if any of you want to stop by and see it. I am glad that I took it out as it worked perfectly for that endurance event. I believe they are still on track for shipping this year if you are looking for that extra edge on your race buddies.

Dozer
    Congrats on your first Century!

Curious, though -- why are you ditching clipless and going back to flat pedals?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    so those bottle mounts not so good then!

lovely dusty trails..

yes def move to flats, only place where i would prefer my Time pedals is a non-technical long distance xc race
    Last edited by Smiff; 07-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Orthodox Veloist
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Congrats on your first Century!

Curious, though -- why are you ditching clipless and going back to flat pedals?
    Reading some great stuff about them (see dirtrag), using them in the local pump track, riding with others that use them has convinced me to switch. Plus my shoes and pedals are way beyond wore out, so I'm due for replacement and just want to go with something different this time.

Also flats and shoes have come a long way since when I made the switch to clipless (1996).

mtbr member
    Looking good Jeremy. Im thinking about doing a 100 next year, maybe the carbon rockstar will be the ticket, Im loving the aluminum version.

jms
    mtbr member

Congrats!

Congrats! That's a GREAT finishing time for your first hundie.

The HC 100 is fun event, it's been one of my favorite races. The organizer, Mike Ripley is one of the best in the business. I raced in the first three, but skipped this year's due to scheduling.

I'd used my hardtail the previous years, last year was the first time I used my RX29 for this race. It worked well @ the HC, saving me a bit of wear and tear on my body. The

My 07 RX is still working really well, the chassis has been problem free. In my "perfect world" Titus would make an updated carbon front triangle RX29, with an aluminum rear, the 71.5 HA/73 SA, and 2 water bottle mounts [since I'm dreaming here].

Two years ago @ HC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Carbon Rockstar can last, my body cannot.-hc10011mjba133-21-50-28.jpg  

My Favorite Peeps: