mtbr member

New question here. Carbon rear for '05 ML?

Anyone know the weight savings of a carbon rear for '05 xs ML? Waht about the carbon rocker?

Where's the best place to get these???

Do It Yourself
    I think you get more weight savings from the new hydroformed chainstay than the carbon seatstay. You would gain some tire clearance over an 05 with the chainstay as well. I doubt you would save any weight on the link.

You favorite dealer can probably get whatever you what no matter how impractical. Afterall, "looks cool" is a perfectly legitimate reason for upgraditis.
    Long Live Long Rides

"El Whatever"
    The weight savings were in the order of 50 something grams.

HB is spot on... the '07 chainstays reduce weight much more. More tyre clearance.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The chainstays here and the rockers here

The carbon rockers would be stiffer and a good investment.

mtbr member

ML needs diet...

Thanks all

Being that the rider is only 105lbs, I'm trying to get the weight of this XS Motolite below 28lbs. It seems that it should be easily possible, but we're not even close as it is. It's at 28 lbs, 12 oz with the following build:

'05 XS Motolite frame
    '05 Float R shock
    '07 Float 32 R 140mm fork
    Syntace F99 75mm stem (91gr)
    Easton EA70 bar, cut down (220gr)
    ODI Ruffian grips (118gr)
    X.9 triggers
    X.7 rear der
    XTR front der
    Thomson Elite post 250mm (188gr)
    Terry Carbon Butterfly saddle (218gr)
    Formula K24 brakes w/ 160mm rotors f/r
    Truvativ Stylo cranks & BB (950 gr w/ BB)
    Azonic X flat pedals (460gr)
    Real hub w/ F219 rim, front (1019gr - I know I need to replace this)
    WTB Dual Duty rim / Spped Disc XC hub (I know I have to replace this also)
    Spec Roll-x 2.0 rear, tubless w/ Stans strip and goo
    Fat Albet 2.25 front, tubless w/ Stans strip and goo

After typing this up I now see that this bike can loose several ounces "here & there"... Any suggestions?!?
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 06-28-2007 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Besides the rear....

Race Face carbon XC bars (what are these... Next Risers ?~?)

New crank if you want to really spend money.

Wheels first I reckon.

I suppose already have light pedals ?~?

Veni Vidi Vici
    After replacing the, Real hub w/ F219 rim, front (1019gr - I know I need to replace this) and
    WTB Dual Duty rim / Spped Disc XC hub (I know I have to replace this also) with american classic rims/hubs, it will easily loose 1+ pound... that wll be a good weight already... plus there will be improved performance, it will be less amount if you buy a carbon/hydroformed rear, with not much improved performance

mtbr member

wheels are priority #1

Yeah, defenitly, wheels are priority #1! Were having a DT 4.1d rim laced to the WTB hub (an almost brand new hub 'warranty replacement'). For the front a Hope Pro 2 hub w/ DT 4.2d rim. Maybe I'll spring for a carbon bar, but that'll be it for the summer!

We've got a two week trip to Idaho/Canada in August. The "theme" of the trip will be long rides (ie. "7 Summits"), and she's not been riding due to school, so I want to help w/ the bike weight.
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 06-28-2007 at 01:08 AM.

Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Yeah, defenitly, wheels are priority #1! Were having a DT 4.1d rim laced to the WTB hub (an almost brand new hub 'warranty replacement'). For the front a Hope Pro 2 hub w/ DT 4.2d rim. Maybe I'll spring for a carbon bar, but that'll be it for the summer! We've got a two week trip to Idaho/Canada in August. The "theme" will be long rides (ie. "7 Summits"), and she's not beem riding due to school, so I want to help w/ the bike weight.
    Cool, for sure that will shave some weight

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    The carbon rockers would be stiffer and a good investment.
    I bet you wouldn't notice a lick of difference.
    Long Live Long Rides

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Yeah, defenitly, wheels are priority #1! Were having a DT 4.1d rim laced to the WTB hub (an almost brand new hub 'warranty replacement'). For the front a Hope Pro 2 hub w/ DT 4.2d rim. Maybe I'll spring for a carbon bar, but that'll be it for the summer!
    Why not a matching 4.2d rim for the rear? The DT tubeless kits weigh a lot less than Stan's. Check the tires as well. Rotating weight will be most noticeable.

When looking at weight, let the weenies help you out:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Why not a matching 4.2d rim for the rear?
    The 4.1d is exactly the same ERD as the rim that's currently on the hub, so my wheel building friend can lace it straight across. This will save enough that I can get the front wheel also.

The DT tubeless kits weigh a lot less than Stan's. Check the tires as well. Rotating weight will be most noticeable.
    Yeah, that's why she's got the Light Albert up front instead of the HighRoller.

When looking at weight, let the weenies help you out:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/
    Thanks HB!

"Its All Good"
    I dont think you can get the carbon butt for sometime. I asked Jeff when I was at Titus. No go..... I thought sheesh, crab one off of another frame bro, good advertising for you....

And TiE and AM would be well p i s s e d, thats worth it alone.................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Ti is addictive
    Unless you break the rear end, I don't think it would be worth it just buy a new rear for your wife's motolite.

Start with Wheels, as you've stated DT 4.2 to Hope hubs front and rear would save easily 300 grams compared to your current wheelset.

Crankset, upgrade to Shimano XT would shave 100 grams

Upgrade to X-9 rear and 990 chain and XTR(960) cogset should clear another 80-100 grams

Thats over a pound of weight savings on good reliable parts and these changes would probably come in less then changing out to the ML2 rear.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

"Its All Good"
    Agree with TiE, that is some good weight savings without going nuts on bling...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Ti is addictive
    Us bikers get too worked up over whats new and exciting and improved........best and most cost effective in the long term is the K.I.S.S. system and A change of the Handle bars(Raceface next) and a swithch to Marta brakes (not SL's) would also be a savings of another 250 grams.........getting close to 2 lbs of weight loss for the motolite, without going and changing structural parts.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member

just did the math...

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    ...Thats over a pound of weight savings on good reliable parts and these changes would probably come in less then changing out to the ML2 rear.
    So I just stripped the rear wheel and compared both of the existing wheels to the "calculated weight" here http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/custom.php?cat=mountain of the new wheelset.

If these numbers are accurate, the full blown new wheelset (240+4.2 rear & Pro 2+4.2 front) will shave a whopping 692 grams / 24.45 oz of rotational weight off the bike! That's over 1 1/2 lbs!!!

She'll feel that! (keep it clean fella's)
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 06-30-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Dollars per gram spent

The whole rear assembly sheds 214g, most of it in the hydroformed lowers. See the actual weight per per piece here:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...94#post2485894
    Buying the complete rear triangle, you'd be paying over $3 per gram saved to change over. Or about $1.30 per gram to just switch the lowers
    Money could be better spent on wheels and tires as stated above. Or a lighter crank/bb.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Unless you break the rear end, I don't think it would be worth it just buy a new rear for your wife's motolite.

Start with Wheels, as you've stated DT 4.2 to Hope hubs front and rear would save easily 300 grams compared to your current wheelset.

Crankset, upgrade to Shimano XT would shave 100 grams

Upgrade to X-9 rear and 990 chain and XTR(960) cogset should clear another 80-100 grams

Thats over a pound of weight savings on good reliable parts and these changes would probably come in less then changing out to the ML2 rear.
    Well... I did change the rear end of my 05 ML, but it was for the FR Lowers, which actually are heavier than the stock ones. But it was a nice improvement for the tire clearance and having the rear end a bit more rigid.