Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carbon Racer X vs SC Superlight

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mnigro 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a general XC bike that is a few pounds, well about 6, lighter than my Trail/AM bike. I don't plan to race this bike but there is a slim chance I might. Been riding for a few years and have a decent skill level built up. I'm 5'8 and about 200lb with the extra winter 15lb that will soon again go away.

I've owned an FSR and have a single pivot but as they say, everyone builds their bikes different so the same suspension designs don't all ride the same. Price diff is about $500.

No way I'm gonna get to test the Titus so has anyone ridden both of these bikes and care to share your opinion?

Thanks

#3 ·
I liked the Trek's when I tested them last year. Rode one for a few loops of the local single track. I was in the market for a frame only at that time so ended up going with an El Kaboing. I've already got the 5" heavy trail/AM category covered.

I had considered testing the Epic. Maybe I'll see if the Brain can be turned off for a test ride.

I have no concerns about the Racer X being a great ride... just trying to figure out if it will ride that much better than the Superlight for the extra $500. Decisions, decisions.

#4 ·
The thing that the Racer-X offers over the Super Light is active braking and geometric suspension stiffening in the initial part of the shock stroke due to the angle the link makes with the seat stays. That is why Specilized copied the design. Also the Racer-X uses an RP-23 shock which is dealer serviable and well supported unlike Specilized Forks and Shocks which tend to go obsolete very quickly.

#7 ·
what size Bob?

I've got a Revelation that I'm going to drop down to 100mm, Zonos wheels (not the lightest but they've stayed true which is BIG in my book), Elixirs, etc. Won't be the lightest build but not too bad.

PM me and we can talk off line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.