"El Whatever"

Carbon Carnage...

X-Post from the Mexico Forum...

Chiluca... Ride Report... The missing link...

Anyone know the going price for the Dangerboy's or the Straitline's ???
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    get a kickstand

Ti is addictive
    Just a fleshwound, get some tape on that end and be done with it.......You're just lookin for an excuse to get some CNC'ed coloured eyecandy on the Black Pearl...........
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

ಠ_ಠ
    sorry about that!

TranceX Rider

During rides...

Or improvise something else...quite useful especially during rides where you got nothing (favorable) to lean your bike onto. Like I've got some reminderband lying around, then I put a knot on it according to the size needed for that band to go about my Chunky grip. Well, if you got the correct sizing, you are good to go.

Voila! Instant handbrake!

Took snapshots of it. At the moment, don't have the luxury of using my DSLR... Just my old trusty camphone here! And... Oo0oh, I empathize with you. I know how awful it feels...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    just ride it until it brakes... or Chad gives you a sweet deal on the replacements

Bike to the Bone...
    Bummer... you need to buy new brakes! Magura brakes break too easily.. buy a boat anchor or something, that won't break when you lean it in a rock.

mtbr member

Dangerboys

Are about 60 bucks. Just say no to carbon!

Do It Yourself

Two words for you...

Duct tape.
    Long Live Long Rides

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    get a kickstand
    I don't think it will fit the SB...
    Check my Site

gravity curmudgeon
    EEK! I have those same brakes. Love them, btw. Outstanding performance for me so far. Great stopping power, excellent modulation, no fade. Not a squeak either and that includes riding in the rain, many stream crossing, and some mudfest time.

But when I break a Louise Carbon BAT lever, I just know the story will be how I was jumping a road gap when a mountain lion launched at me and ...

I really don't want to break a lever because my bike fell down at a curb( or at least admit to it) ...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by cowDawg
    EEK! I have those same brakes. Love them, btw. Outstanding performance for me so far. Great stopping power, excellent modulation, no fade. Not a squeak either and that includes riding in the rain, many stream crossing, and some mudfest time.
    Yeah, but this bunch of Formula Heretics are losing all the fun of riding a REAL pair of brakes.
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    My buddies carbon cranks snapped during yesterays ride- drive side arm, about an inch from the crank arm bolt, cracked clear through! Fortunately he was just "JRA"- but he still had a long hike down, after climbing up.

In defense of carbon, these were 3-5yrs old, and he's ridden them everywhere... including whistler. But I still think Carbon isn't a good idea for bikes or parts that will see abuse on technical terrain.

One thing I really like about shimano brakes, the lever is designed in a way that there is a flat section which bends easily, in the even of a crash. Helps prevent broken levers or broken clamps/lever bodies. The levers can be bent back 3-4 times before they break, and even then it's just the lever- no bleed required for replacement.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    One thing I really like about shimano brakes, the lever is designed in a way that there is a flat section which bends easily, in the even of a crash. Helps prevent broken levers or broken clamps/lever bodies. The levers can be bent back 3-4 times before they break, and even then it's just the lever- no bleed required for replacement.
    Maguras are made something like that. Also, no bleeding required to replace them.

This one was a dumb accident from my part and truth be told, the lever smacked straight to pavement... but an alloy lever would have just a scuff.

I'll ride these 'till they fall apart and try to repair the end of the damaged one somehow... but next set will be alloy for sure.

I doubt this would have been an issue with a H-bar or seatpost... but no more carbon for me, thank you.
    Check my Site

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Maguras are made something like that. Also, no bleeding required to replace them.

This one was a dumb accident from my part and truth be told, the lever smacked straight to pavement... but an alloy lever would have just a scuff.

I'll ride these 'till they fall apart and try to repair the end of the damaged one somehow... but next set will be alloy for sure.

I doubt this would have been an issue with a H-bar or seatpost... but no more carbon for me, thank you.
    you could get the 08 alloy ones.. I like the "handwritten" Louise on them

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    DB levers are awesome (Have 2 sets) just to endorse the option. $60 is about the going rate.
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed