mtbr member

Can I join your club?

Hey all... was recently in the market for a decently-priced used frame and started asking around my local club and friends. Considering a few friends ride MotoLites and now two brand new drool-worthy El Guapos, I was a bit distracted by lust when a friend offered up his 2002 Switchblade frame.

I've done some research and know about the chainstay issues but considering how lightly used this bike was (and knowing the owner) helped convince me. He only rode it lightly for about 1.5 years then bought another frame and put this one away. So it's been gathering dust since 2004... Plus the price couldn't be beat.

So I built it up using my 100mm fork, remaining bits and pieces, and a few new mid-level SRAM X.5 (on a budget here!) components....

So what say ye all? Can I join your club? My "new" SB!

Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists - www.sdmb.org
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Cracker
    Hey all... was recently in the market for a decently-priced used frame and started asking around my local club and friends. Considering a few friends ride MotoLites and now two brand new drool-worthy El Guapos, I was a bit distracted by lust when a friend offered up his 2002 Switchblade frame.

I've done some research and know about the chainstay issues but considering how lightly used this bike was (and knowing the owner) helped convince me. He only rode it lightly for about 1.5 years then bought another frame and put this one away. So it's been gathering dust since 2004... Plus the price couldn't be beat.

So I built it up using my 100mm fork, remaining bits and pieces, and a few new mid-level SRAM X.5 (on a budget here!) components....

So what say ye all? Can I join your club? My "new" SB!

Congratulations! That is a great bike that should serve you well. Still looks good to, after all these years.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Welcome! Action shots asap!
    I like bikes.

"El Whatever"
    God rides a Switchblade. Amen!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Welcome! Action shots asap!
    Hopefully soon! Just finished building it last night. Plan on heading up to Flagstaff for the 4th of July and will get some shots there.
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

Ultimated Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    God rides a Switchblade. Amen!
    When I rode with him the other day He was actually on a custom Ti ElGuapo, He said she was name after him
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    When I rode with him the other day He was actually on a custom Ti ElGuapo, He said she was name after him
    Infidel!
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Welcome to the Club

Enjoy that ride!

mtbr member
    You wanted action shots, you got 'em. Took the Titus out for it's first "real" ride this weekend and rode three local favorites... Green Mountain, Bug Springs, and Molino. Fairly technical and half our riders showed up on big hit bikes and covered in armor.

I have to say this bike rides like a dream, climbing, descending and so fun to throw around. I got into a spot or two where I thought I was going down but I'm convinced the bike (not rider skill) got me back on-trail without injury. Very happy with this "vintage" ride for sure.

Running a 100mm Fox fork right now, but a friend on the ride said he had an adjustable 140mm RockShox Pike (solid axle) he'd be willing to sell me cheap if I wanted to make the SB a bit more all-mountain. I'm thinking about it, but I'd then have to buy a new wheelset, too.

Roller:

Lots of waterbars, and this one is steeper than it looks:

Playing on some rocks:
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have two 20 mm maxles & they are really great too bad you have to get a new front wheel to do it but all in all I feel it is worth it. If you look around on ebay sometimes you can find just a front at a good price just to get you in to the 20mm.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Cracker
    Running a 100mm Fox fork right now, but a friend on the ride said he had an adjustable 140mm RockShox Pike (solid axle) he'd be willing to sell me cheap if I wanted to make the SB a bit more all-mountain. I'm thinking about it, but I'd then have to buy a new wheelset, too.
    Pike + SB is a match made in heaven... It ain't Vintage... it's Classic.

Just get a new cheapo hub and relace your rim... all front hubs are created equal.

Check my Site

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Which pike do you use I have been thinking about one? I have a revelation I like the lightness of it, but I hear the pike is a better fork.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by synnie
    Which pike do you use I have been thinking about one? I have a revelation I like the lightness of it, but I hear the pike is a better fork.
    Not exactly better... it's actually equal, but with a 20mm TA. It tracks better, that's all.

I have the Pike 454 Air U Turn. Tasty.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My revelation is a 20 mm TA so I guess I;ll be saving my money then, I run a lyrik solo air on my nomad & I really do notice a difference with that fork, so I thought the pike is in the same AM family it would be better than the revelation.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by synnie
    My revelation is a 20 mm TA so I guess I;ll be saving my money then, I run a lyrik solo air on my nomad & I really do notice a difference with that fork, so I thought the pike is in the same AM family it would be better than the revelation.
    The Lyrik uses 35mm stanchions and a different damper, that's where the difference you feel comes from.

If you want to, you can Push your Revelation. They will fix the only "shortcoming" of the fork which is high speed rebound and tune it to your weight and riding style.
    Check my Site