rack admirer

Can a 29er ride like a racer-X?? Rockstar?

My Racer-X 100 is a 2005. As I mentally prepare for replacement, I have been demo-ing 29ers. I have not begun to understand the sublties between frames yet because I am still so impressed by the 29 inch wheel's resistance to endoing, my number one concern on tech downhills. I am not a racer, I just like the handling.
    That said, I just finished a week of riding a Jet-9 and while only weighing a pound more than my racer -X, it did not have that instant flick to to catch air on a berm or lift the front wheel with a rearward lean on the seat. the balance and center of my weight just seemed in the wrong places.
    Has anyone gone from a racer-x to a 29-er that came close to reproducing these quick handling traits? The pivot 429 didn't, although it was closer than the niner Jet-9. the obvious choice would be the old asylum or rockstar. These will be difficult for me to find to demo.
    Where else should I be looking?
    Thanks for looking and thanks for sharing any insights.
    Mike
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I found myself in the same predicament before. Although I don't think you could ever compare a standard 26" MTB (and a racer x at that) with a 29er. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I hope this doesn't spark a 26 vs. 29 debate. Both have their pros and cons. By the way, I also ride big wheels and enjoy all the benefits that come with it... BUT the RX is still the one that shines in the handling department. If you want a 29er that you can really flick, demo a hardtail. Air 9 perhaps?

mtbr member
    My wife rides an air9 and a titus FTM, I ride a jet9 and an EG. I myself am looking at the elusive big tire EG and she would like to have something that climbs like the air9 but with the comfort of the FTM.

She has been riding seriously for four years now and has learned that the 29'r just doesnt move around the trail like the 26. With all that extra wheel I think it's going to be hard to find something that is still "flickable" and has the traction of the 29" wheel.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I went from a RacerX 2007 to a Rocky Mountain Element 970. The ride is very comparable. The Rocky is very flickable and responds well to changes in direction as well as lifting the front wheel. The only thing I find lacking is high speed turns on loose soil. In that case the bike wants to go wide, more so then the RacerX (both on 2.25" Racing Ralph tires). This might be a 29er thing though. I plan to ride on the RacerX this weekend to compare the ride again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Maybe you should look into a 650b tire then. Best of both worlds? Some 26" frames are adaptable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the Rockstar, flickable it isn't.
    I purchased the frame set very cheaply and have a fairly light build spec on it (XTR + I9's + FIT RLC's) but it's not as nimble as I'd expected.
    I've got a GF Paragon 29er HT and it's significantly more nimble and responsive and feels nicer when pushed down hills.
    Having said that the rockstar isn't a dog, it's just a bit short of the mark IMHO.