Master of None

Cable routing on El Guapo

I've noticed that the cable routing on the El Guapo is a little different than most.. The cable guides are designed to just route the cable and not clamp it, and under suspension movement the cables slide in and out of the cable guide.

I'm wondering if this could be a wear issue? Every little bob of the suspension causes the cables to rub the guides, maybe they will wear through one day?

Are any other Titus frames like that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    be careful, if the cables slide too much on the guides this will create excess friction and may spontaneously catch on fire

Master of None
    I'll have to watch out for that! Maybe the bruise on my leg was not caused by ramming into the cable guide but really caused by the intense heat in the guide. However on cold days I could warm my hands by the cable guides which would be a nice feature.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sorry i wasn't helpful.... i'm just jealous i don't have an EG

Master of None
    It's okay, the pain and jealousy you are going through is completely understandable.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    be careful, if the cables slide too much on the guides this will create excess friction and may spontaneously catch on fire

Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    I'll have to watch out for that! Maybe the bruise on my leg was not caused by ramming into the cable guide but really caused by the intense heat in the guide. However on cold days I could warm my hands by the cable guides which would be a nice feature.
    yes a nice feature for warming your nuts during cold winter ride breaks as well.

dog
    sit! stay!
    hmmm... that is kinda crazy that they put the cable holder thingies on the side like that...

maybe they'll correct that...

anyway... electrical tape is the best thing in my book for cable rub... prefereably orange...

Master of None
    It has been changed! Check out the new pics:

thats right living legend
    It has been changed! Check out the new pics:

I "thought" those were the same pics that had been up there? Henc the reason no one new about it until the MBA review?

Hope I'm mistaken.

Master of None
    You might be right. I honestly don't remember what the pics looked like back when I bought my frame...

the 36 year old grom
    You might be right. I honestly don't remember what the pics looked like back when I bought my frame...
    MBA is full of themselves. They are old pictures. if you look at the early prototype guapo pictures it didn't have the wrap around seat stay. so there was room to route the cables under the downtube just like ML, and RX. but with the wrap around seat stay there is no room there, so my guess is they had to move it on the production bikes......

furthermore but on ML and RX they are cable stops. not feed thru style mounts. it would have worked out better had they used cable stops. but the mounts are big chunks of metal so I'm not concerend about wearing them out. I also ditched the clamps and used Ty wraps.

the wrap around seat stay is a big inprovment and well worth it in my book. I saw the prototype at sea otter in 2006 and it had a brake arch and just about no tire clearance.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    the wrap around seat stay is a big inprovment and well worth it in my book. I saw the prototype at sea otter in 2006 and it had a brake arch and just about no tire clearance.
    Yup... time to put it on the ML as well...
    Check my Site

Master of None
    I have about a dozen more rides on it since filing down the plastic cable guides. I just rounded the edges so they aren't sharp. I have bumped them a couple times but my knees are intact!