mtbr member

Cable explosion?

Well, this is a first for me. I've had a hydraulic line snap under very cold winter conditions (ok the line was quite old too), but never a full on cable explosion. Can't really see from my crappy phone camera, but the cable housing just split into a ton of fragments and the braided cable is fried. Is this a normal failure? Easy enough replacement, but wow.

JB.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The brake fluid was probably really contaminated with a lot of water (DOT fluid draws water like a sponge). When this water was exposed to low temperatures it froze inside the line and made a plug. By pressing the brake lever pressure builds up and something has to give in. In your case the crappy brake line.

Replace the brake lines with Goodride and give the other brake a bleed as well =)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    JB,I think you misunderstood what the OP was saying.

He noted that he had a hydraulic brake line split in the past which he thought was normal for its condition at the time, but his current problem is the self-destruction of a cable, not a brake hose.

Look at the pic he posted, that's obviously a cable, not a hose!

JB.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Oh I see, probably read the first post a little too fast.

club très grand de VTT
    How old is the cable? Some people recommend an annual replacement regime. Lucky thing it weren't the brakes.

PS: Interesting looking ride you have in the background - what is it?

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

dog
    sit! stay!
    wow, that is impressive...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pongee
    How old is the cable? Some people recommend an annual replacement regime. Lucky thing it weren't the brakes. P.
    Cables were the original cables from '07 ML (which was purchased new from LBS this time last year, so they're 1yr old). I had planned to replace them this spring, I just wanted to get through some of the wet/muddy weather first. Guess they'll get replaced a little sooner than I thought

Quote Originally Posted by pongee
    PS: Interesting looking ride you have in the background - what is it?
    That would be a '79 Fiat. It won't win any beauty contests, but it's rust free and runs strong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've had this happen to a cable on my bike as well. In my situation it was a case of the housing being trimmed a bit too short and the handlebars twisting in a crash. The cable wanted to go somewhere, so it busted out the side of the housing.